• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How did your 401k do in 2005?

How did your 401k do in 2005?

• -5% or worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • +0% to -5%

• +0% to +2.5%

• +2.5% to +5%

• +5% to +7.5%

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • +7.5% to +10%

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • +10% or greater

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

M14 Shooter

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
You dont have to be specific if you don;t want.

+10.60%

M14 Shooter said:
You dont have to be specific if you don;t want.

+10.60%

I dont have a 401K, but I have a private IRA. Last year it did pretty well...I got an 8.6% return which I am pretty happy with.

My mutual funds with Fidelity average about 9 percent in 2005..............

My portfolio, overall, as a whole, had an 18% return. I had invested heavily in mutual funds that in turn invested in stocks that were considered value buys, because the stock price on each share of stock was selling well below it's fair market value for each share of stock. My best performing investments were not the value mutual funds but rather my investments in mutual funds that in turn invested in utility stocks and international stocks. With my utility and international stocks posting at least a 20% gain each. I also have investments in inflation adjusted US treasury bonds. All of the stocks and inflation adjusted US treasury bond mutual funds paid out decent dividends on top of the capital gain appreciation. This was my Roth IRA portfolio. My 401k had about a 13% return, because I didn't have as much investments to choose from, but my company provides generous matching on top of the return. In my 401k, my mutual fund that invests in international stocks posted the highest gain with about 20% as well.

I did better than 20% in 2004. But that was just because the dollar lost so much. I was fortunate enough to anticipate the dollar's drop. I haven't moved my money back yet. Gimme a well balanced budget and I put my assets back into USD valued items.

Simon W. Moon said:
I did better than 20% in 2004. But that was just because the dollar lost so much. I was fortunate enough to anticipate the dollar's drop. I haven't moved my money back yet. Gimme a well balanced budget and I put my assets back into USD valued items.

Sounds like you were engaged in calculated risks, speculation. To explain, forecasting or anticipation is speculation. But even when speculating you can take calculated risks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom