• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'How Did We Get Here?' A Call For An Evangelical Reckoning On Trump

RealityNow

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
January 13, 20215:08 AM ET
Heard on Morning Edition
Rachel Martin.
RACHEL MARTIN

TwitterFacebook

As fallout continues from the deadly siege on the U.S. Capitol, Ed Stetzer, head of the Billy Graham Center at Wheaton College, has a message for his fellow evangelicals: it's time for a reckoning.
Evangelicals, he says, should look at how their own behaviors and actions may have helped fuel the insurrection. White evangelicals overwhelmingly supported President Trump in the 2020 election.

In the interview, Stetzer also laments that evangelicals seem to have changed their view of morality in order to support Trump.

"So I think we just need to be honest. A big part of this evangelical reckoning is a lot of people sold out their beliefs," he says.

-----------
You write that Trump has burned down the Republican Party. What has he done to the evangelical Christian movement?

If you asked today "what's an evangelical?" to most people, I would want them to say: someone who believes Jesus died on the cross for our sin and in our place and we're supposed to tell everyone about it. But for most people they'd say, "Oh, those are those people who are really super supportive of the president no matter what he does." And I don't think that's what we want to be known for. That's certainly not what I want to be known for. And I think as this presidency is ending in tatters as it is, hopefully more and more evangelicals will say, "You know, we should have seen earlier, we should have known better, we should have honored the Lord more in our actions these last four years."

Should ministers on Sunday mornings be delivering messages about how to sort fact from fiction and discouraging their parishioners from seeking truth in these darkest corners of the Internet peddling lies?

Absolutely, absolutely. Mark Noll wrote years ago a book called The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind and he was talking about the lack of intellectual engagement in some corners of evangelicalism.

I think the scandal of the evangelical mind today is the gullibility that so many have been brought into — conspiracy theories, false reports and more — and so I think the Christian responsibility is we need to engage in what we call in the Christian tradition, discipleship. Jesus says "I am the way, the truth and the life." So Jesus literally identifies himself as the truth, therefore if there ever should be a people who care about the truth it should be people who call themselves followers of Jesus.

end quote

We've known for the span of the past 4.5-5 yrs of the sell out of morality and values as the White Evangelicals chose Trump over the Principles and Truths of Jesus and the Values that the Bible Teaches.

History, tells us... this did not just start with Trump, but it certainly reached a all consuming level. Truth of History, not generally taught in schools or Evangelical Churches, is that White Evangelicals embraced racism all the way back to using the Bible to try and appease their minds to maliciously try and justify their support of slavery, and carried that forth for the past 156 yrs of supporting elements of Racial Segregation which they fought to sustain for 100 yrs, and for the past 56 yrs have continued to see and embrace racial bias in both ideals and policies as well as within their dogma to continue to embrace White Nationalist ideology and Confederacy Era Racial Biases and Confederacy Era Agenda.

Lyndon B. Johnson, understood laws couldn't accomplish everything. But he also knew that only the law could anchor change, and set hearts and minds on a different course. And a lot of Americans needed the law's most basic protections at that time.

President Lyndon B. Johnson once said, "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

It's about time. Likely too little too late though...

Did agency leaders installed by Trump or who were sympathetic to his lies about the 2020 election look the other way from looming danger on their radar?

Another Democrat posting a bigotry against Christians thread. How predictable.

Did agency leaders installed by Trump or who were sympathetic to his lies about the 2020 election look the other way from looming danger on their radar?

We know they did and we can be assured it was instructions passed to them throughout these Organizations and Agencies. from The Oval Office of Trumps Own Agenda of Vile.

Go Away.... you continue to demonstrate that you don't have the capability to comprehend what you read and you are too ate up with hate mongering to make a humane intelligent statement.

As a Christian myself, I approve HEARTILY of this scrutiny, as I'm sick of having to be embarrassed of my faith due to the contrarian behavior of so-called evangelicals.

I approve but I think evangelicalism became a political association rather than anything having to do with Jesus or Christianity decades ago, they just use Christianity as a sword and shield given the special treatment we afford religion in this country.

It won't happen.

One of the local leaders of the Republican party in my city and well as an outspoken Evangelical Christians admitted that they knew Trump was a "defective" human, but that he is just an avatar for their movement.

Essentially, the knowingly and willingly made a deal with the Devil to advance their agenda.

And it's seems they believe that he can continue to do so.

I am so tired of hypocrites that say"I don't support his actions, but I support his policies"

It's like they are trying to have their gay wedding cake and eat it too.

I approve but I think evangelicalism became a political association rather than anything having to do with Jesus or Christianity decades ago, they just use Christianity as a sword and shield given the special treatment we afford religion in this country.

It was long before a few decades ago... the religion was used to try and justify slavery as well as used during the post slavery 100 yrs to make themselves feel good about segregation by bastardizing via racist based edicts injected within religious teaching by the powerful who dominated the ranks of the church system of organized evangelical promotions.

Christians who voted for and support trump are the same Christians that scare the hell out of me.
The phrase White Evangelical Christian is a 21st century PC euphemism for Dixiecrat. Their support for Trump has nothing to do with the teachings of the man that they occasionally claim to be the c son of god and their savior because their actions are a rejection of his ideas, but instead, it is their support for racism and bigotry that he supports while they desperate to hide it behind obscure passages of the bible as a way to make their bigotry socially acceptable because of the religious protections of the 1st Amendment of the Bill of Rights.

These hypocrites are a Christian ISIL.

Last edited:
It won't happen.

One of the local leaders of the Republican party in my city and well as an outspoken Evangelical Christians admitted that they knew Trump was a "defective" human, but that he is just an avatar for their movement.

Essentially, the knowingly and willingly made a deal with the Devil to advance their agenda.

And it's seems they believe that he can continue to do so.

I am so tired of hypocrites that say"I don't support his actions, but I support his policies"

It's like they are trying to have their gay wedding cake and eat it too.

It's very simple... They are taking those adverse stands in their last ditch effort to try and preserve for revival the vile and malicious greed mentality of the Confederacy Groomed Ideology of White Nationalism... Trump was their Cheerleader... they did not care that he's a vile melomaniac with evil within his core and obsessed by the pursuit for money and power. They simply wanted someone to promote their Confederacy Groomed Ideology of White Nationalism.
When people have been trained for centuries and decades to be spiritually and morally bankrupt and function from desperations from destitution to the mental destitution of having no sense of self worth except to try and base it on skin color... these are the types who 'claim they want the past to return" that's what they mean when they say.. "we want our country back"... that's what Trump means, when he say's "Its stolen", because these are people who will go to their grave trying to recreate white nationalism of the past.
It's what Trump means when he claims America is being destroyed... when fact is.... nothing more than White Nationalism is being brought down and it will be destroy. American is a Democracy... White Nationalism has tried to centuries and decades to destroy Democracy and replace it with Autocratic Plutocracy of White Nationalist Promotions of Wealthy White Male Dominance.

That evil now is being exposed even in the deep crevices of Congress and within our Governing Systems and Other Organizations.. and it will become exposed and those types will be expelled and many will find themselves incarcerated for years and decades.

Now, after these Savages Broke in and Ravaged and Engage Their Treasonous Acts and Malice of Sedition and Subversion through their organized Insurrection.... AMERICA IS NOW "AWAKE"...!!!
There is no white washing this away.

American Democracy WILL NOT submit itself unto Savages nor their Savagery....

Last edited:
It's very simple... They are taking those adverse stands in their last ditch effort to try and preserve for revival the vile and malicious greed mentality of the Confederacy Groomed Ideology of White Nationalism... Trump was their Cheerleader... they did not care that he's a vile melomaniac with evil within his core and obsessed by the pursuit for money and power. They simply wanted someone to promote their Confederacy Groomed Ideology of White Nationalism

I don't doubt it, but this particular group that I mentioned are one-issue pro lifers.

I don't doubt it, but this particular group that I mentioned are one-issue pro lifers.
These people are not pro-life because their concern for the fetus ends when it becomes an infant with real physical needs for the next 18+ years. They are anti-choice hypocrites who oppose rights for women and mothers as well as the social safety net and quite often support the death penalty.

wsm4mg4rr6n01.jpg

post-1-compressed.jpg

None are 'One Issue" people... there's much behind what they speak... It's not a time to try and minimize and sanitize what we are faced with.

See post #17

The phrase White Evangelical Christian is a 21st century PC euphemism for Dixiecrat. Their support for Trump has nothing to do with the teachings of the man that they occasionally claim to be the c son of god and their savior because their actions are a rejection of his ideas, but instead, it is their support for racism and bigotry that he supports while they desperate to hide it behind obscure passages of the bible as a way to make their bigotry socially acceptable because of the religious protections of the 1st Amendment of the Bill of Rights.

These hypocrites are a Christian ISIL.
Racism sadly is alive and well in this country. I think at least fifty million of the votes that went for trump were strictly votes to keep america white.

Racism sadly is alive and well in this country. I think at least fifty million of the votes that went for trump were strictly votes to keep america white.
A person cannot vote for Trump if they oppose racism. You are either an overt racist who supports Trump's bigotry on various issues towards various ethnic and social groups or you are a covert racist who is willing to look the other way because you support his other policies but you cannot oppose racism and still vote for Donald Trump.

January 13, 20215:08 AM ET
Heard on Morning Edition
Rachel Martin.
RACHEL MARTIN

TwitterFacebook

As fallout continues from the deadly siege on the U.S. Capitol, Ed Stetzer, head of the Billy Graham Center at Wheaton College, has a message for his fellow evangelicals: it's time for a reckoning.
Evangelicals, he says, should look at how their own behaviors and actions may have helped fuel the insurrection. White evangelicals overwhelmingly supported President Trump in the 2020 election.

In the interview, Stetzer also laments that evangelicals seem to have changed their view of morality in order to support Trump.

"So I think we just need to be honest. A big part of this evangelical reckoning is a lot of people sold out their beliefs," he says.

-----------
You write that Trump has burned down the Republican Party. What has he done to the evangelical Christian movement?

If you asked today "what's an evangelical?" to most people, I would want them to say: someone who believes Jesus died on the cross for our sin and in our place and we're supposed to tell everyone about it. But for most people they'd say, "Oh, those are those people who are really super supportive of the president no matter what he does." And I don't think that's what we want to be known for. That's certainly not what I want to be known for. And I think as this presidency is ending in tatters as it is, hopefully more and more evangelicals will say, "You know, we should have seen earlier, we should have known better, we should have honored the Lord more in our actions these last four years."

Should ministers on Sunday mornings be delivering messages about how to sort fact from fiction and discouraging their parishioners from seeking truth in these darkest corners of the Internet peddling lies?

Absolutely, absolutely. Mark Noll wrote years ago a book called The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind and he was talking about the lack of intellectual engagement in some corners of evangelicalism.

I think the scandal of the evangelical mind today is the gullibility that so many have been brought into — conspiracy theories, false reports and more — and so I think the Christian responsibility is we need to engage in what we call in the Christian tradition, discipleship. Jesus says "I am the way, the truth and the life." So Jesus literally identifies himself as the truth, therefore if there ever should be a people who care about the truth it should be people who call themselves followers of Jesus.

end quote

We've known for the span of the past 4.5-5 yrs of the sell out of morality and values as the White Evangelicals chose Trump over the Principles and Truths of Jesus and the Values that the Bible Teaches.

History, tells us... this did not just start with Trump, but it certainly reached a all consuming level. Truth of History, not generally taught in schools or Evangelical Churches, is that White Evangelicals embraced racism all the way back to using the Bible to try and appease their minds to maliciously try and justify their support of slavery, and carried that forth for the past 156 yrs of supporting elements of Racial Segregation which they fought to sustain for 100 yrs

Lyndon B. Johnson, understood laws couldn't accomplish everything. But he also knew that only the law could anchor change, and set hearts and minds on a different course. And a lot of Americans needed the law's most basic protections at that time.
Ed Stetzer, you need to reevaluate your thinking. White evangelicals don't support abortion, don't support racism. Stop trying to lay blame on Christians for what liberal democrats have done. Start with Trump Russian Collusion lies as the blame for where we are. Start with claims of systemic racism against all white Americans. You are full of bull.

These people are not pro-life because their concern for the fetus ends when it becomes an infant with real physical needs for the next 18+ years. They are anti-choice hypocrites who oppose rights for women and mothers as well as the social safety net and quite often support the death penalty.

wsm4mg4rr6n01.jpg

post-1-compressed.jpg
We support helping those who need help and cannot help themselves or are unwilling to do so.

Christian charities are among the most generous in the world.

Christian charities are among the most generous in the world.
They are usually more interested in religious conversion than effective support in the form of dollars or food. I was part of one of those Christian groups (St Vincent DePaul Society of the Catholic church), despite the fact that they knew that I was a Humanist, for years but I left when the religious aspect became so odious that I could not rationalize being part of it. The charity was previously meted out on the basis of need when we often built a coalition to assist us among the various local churches and aid groups, but the priest took over and made it very obvious that his goal was more parishioners and would turn away people in need who didn't come to mass or refused to convert because they were members of another church. About 2/3s of the members left with a 6-month period of him taking over.

Back
Top Bottom