• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How did the redneck come to represent America abroad?

I'm a proud Southern boy and some might even describe me as a Redneck.

And YOUR'E the one responsible for this bigoted closed minded bait thread

Fricken Eurotrash hypocrisy and envy.

It is not a bait thread. I planned on discussing stereotypes and how they are created with people, as stated in the OP.

Yeah go ahead and call me "Eurotrash" whatever the **** that even is.

And why should I envy a culture that takes pride in it`s horrific past of slavery, biggotry, stupidity, treason and racism?

And you know that from your extensive collection of cherry-picked anecdotal evidence and stereotypes. How could anybody possibly think you have no clue what you're talking about.

Also, can you actually post a link to a Southern politician defending slavery in this century? I don't mean to be suspicious, it's just that I HAVE NEVER HEARD ANYBODY FROM THE SOUTH DEFEND ****ING SLAVERY.

There`s Mike Huckerbies rant about the movie "Django" and how it "vilifies" slave owners...... which would be hilarious comedy if he wasnt serious about what he said.

And then there are countless people from Rick Perry calling a historic pro slavery confederate an "abolitionist"

And you name it and there is something... I dont even know who came up with the "war of northern agression" nonsence but I even read that posted by members of this forum.

But yeah. In the end what counts more is what the people think and not their political representatives.

And in that regard you dont have to go far to find the most vial stuff there is.

And there arent exactly many news stories and articles about the South that are about social harmony, art, science and common human decency. Quite the opposite actualy.

I find it amusing that of all the societies and cultural concepts that I have negative opinions of, this is the only one that people here get riled up over.

There`s Mike Huckerbies rant about the movie "Django" and how it "vilifies" slave owners...... which would be hilarious comedy if he wasnt serious about what he said.

And then there are countless people from Rick Perry calling a historic pro slavery confederate an "abolitionist"

And you name it and there is something... I dont even know who came up with the "war of northern agression" nonsence but I even read that posted by members of this forum.

Not exactly links, but point taken.

But yeah. In the end what counts more is what the people think and not their political representatives.

On this we can agree-

And in that regard you dont have to go far to find the most vial stuff there is.

...and there's the f-you. What a shocking plot twist. I have to disagree with you there; most Southerners aren't as horrible as you'd like to believe.

And there arent exactly many news stories and articles about the South that are about social harmony, art, science and common human decency. Quite the opposite actualy.

The news is bad everywhere. If you take news stories as the barometer for what normally occurs, then everybody you see on the street is going to try to murder you, any man who walks by a school is a pedophile, and your house is probably being broken into as we speak. In my day-to-day life, I see almost none, if any at all, of the racism and bigotry you seem to believe every Southerner obsessively masturbates to.

I find it amusing that of all the societies and cultural concepts that I have negative opinions of, this is the only one that people here get riled up over.

This is the only one I've come across so far.

...and there's the f-you. What a shocking plot twist. I have to disagree with you there; most Southerners aren't as horrible as you'd like to believe.

Then bring forth the examples.

The news is bad everywhere. If you take news stories as the barometer for what normally occurs, then everybody you see on the street is going to try to murder you, any man who walks by a school is a pedophile, and your house is probably being broken into as we speak. In my day-to-day life, I see almost none, if any at all, of the racism and bigotry you seem to believe every Southerner obsessively masturbates to.

Not just news. But articles on life and everything else.

I generaly read journals that cover more than just the news.

This is the only one I've come across so far.

Point taken, we will see what the future brings.

Then bring forth the examples.

From what I've seen of my generation (I'm eighteen), racism isn't very widespread. I a little difficult to cite any specific examples of people not doing something.

Not just news. But articles on life and everything else.

I generaly read journals that cover more than just the news.

That's interesting. What's the general age group discussed in them?

Point taken, we will see what the future brings.

Got any examples? What do you think of other Europeans?

From what I've seen of my generation (I'm eighteen), racism isn't very widespread. I a little difficult to cite any specific examples of people not doing something.

Thats not what i am asking for. Convince me that the South is not what it is portraid to be.
That's interesting. What's the general age group discussed in them?

News journals. They dont fit age groups. Der Spiegel, Time Magazine, Newsweek, The Economist thats the kind of stuff I read.

Got any examples? What do you think of other Europeans?

If you insist.

Serb culture is centered to much arround the idear of clean bloodlines and "greater Serbia" and a dangerous tendency of believing the the supirority of the "slavic race".

The old stereotype was the "ugly American" boorish tourist wearing a loud Hawaiian shirt and a camera around his neck. Maybe the problem is the stereotyping itself.

Just a thought.

Stereotyping is its own problem, regardless of who is being stereotyped.

Americans are...
Blacks are....
Italians are...

regardless of who is being stereotyped, it is illogical, unfair, and just wrong.

Thats not what i am asking for. Convince me that the South is not what it is portraid to be.

I have the distinct impression that you're not going to change your mind any time soon, no matter what I say.

News journals. They dont fit age groups. Der Spiegel, Time Magazine, Newsweek, The Economist thats the kind of stuff I read.

Okay.

If you insist.

Serb culture is centered to much arround the idear of clean bloodlines and "greater Serbia" and a dangerous tendency of believing the the supirority of the "slavic race".

Is that why they shot Prince Ferdinand and started WWI? What dickheads!

I have the distinct impression that you're not going to change your mind any time soon, no matter what I say.

Okay.

No. I actualy will change my mind.

I am not an admin and probably never will be.

olemiss.jpg

If your countries former leaders had had any common sence after the civil war they would have made flying that flag punishable as an act of treason.

I have given countless examples of Southern politicians talking about "war of northern agression", "slavery aint been that bad", hate crime statistics, the high number of racist hate groups, the memorials for racists and biggots, Southern pundits or politicians who deny that the civil rights movement was ever nececery or even existed, Southern politicians who claim racial segregation never happend, Southern politicians who claim slavery was abolished before the civil war right after the revolution and even racial segregation in Mississipi until very recently.

And all that people like you reply to those examples is someonething along the lines of "thats not the South".

Besides the cultural perversion theres also the socio economic nonsence going on. The South is a tumor on US wealth. One giant blob of a wellfare recipiant and government institutions like NASA are essentialy wellfare programms to provide basic jobs in Southern ereas. NASA would be served better in a place like Massetchusets where people dont believe the earth is flat and where the brightest minds of the country come from. And on and on and on.

First, symbolism is protected under First Amendment rights. That would include the good old " Stars and Bars " thats representitive of far more than " bigotry ".

Restricting Free expression is a European and Canadian concept not welcomed here in the US.

Second, your cherry picking motivated by what would appear to be a unnatural personal obsession with people from the South is not a fair or accurate representation of the people who live here.

You speak and comment from total and obsolute ignorance.

For example. California, NOT " the South " has the highest poverty rates in the Country and is home to 1/3 of our Nations Welfare recipients even though it represents 1/8 of our Nations population.

Texas has been leading the Country in jobs and economic growth for years now and is home to Millions and Millions of economic refugees from Northern States and California just in the last 6 years.

Over 2 million refugees from California alone have moved to Texas in search for jobs and opportunities.

And NASA has been in Houston for decades and it was here when this Country landed men on the Moon 6 times successfully and landed rovers on Mars successfully.

Maybe if Europe would have consulted NASA in TEXAS they would been able to successfully land that probe on that comet instead of basically littering on a Space rock.

If I were you I would refrain from talking about things that you could not possibly comprehend. You're embarrassing yourself.

Some pictures from the modern South might help, perhaps.

A southern family, from an article on mixed race families in the South...

race-articleLarge.jpg

A southern Governor of Sikh descent...

nhaley.jpg

Some notable politicians and businessmen from the South...

hodges-speaks1.jpg

Darrin-3_March_09.jpg

Scenes from the modern south...

GAzoo.jpg

helenaGA.jpg

atlantaNight.jpg

charleston-bicycle-tours.jpg

SC1.jpg

oh man Goshin... now you done it... those horrific pictures of bigots and ignorant rednecks is just going to fan the flames of hate.

First, symbolism is protected under First Amendment rights. That would include the good old " Stars and Bars " thats representitive of far more than " bigotry ".

Tell us more about what it represents?

Restricting Free expression is a European and Canadian concept not welcomed here in the US.

Treason is not free expression.

Second, your cherry picking motivated by what would appear to be a unnatural personal obsession with people from the South is not a fair or accurate representation of the people who live here.

Opposite. You people cherrypick me when I write about the South. I have writen similar posts about several other societies who I believe stick to dangerous practices. Saudi Arabia,Serbia,Southern Spain, Japan and others to name a few.

You speak and comment from total and obsolute ignorance.

Not total. And nothing is presented to contradict me.

For example. California, NOT " the South " has the highest poverty rates in the Country and is home to 1/3 of our Nations Welfare recipients even though it represents 1/8 of our Nations population.

nope. Mississipi still is the poorest state.

Texas has been leading the Country in jobs and economic growth for years now and is home to Millions and Millions of economic refugees from Northern States and California just in the last 6 years.

Refugees?

Dropbox and GoPro moved their company headquaters from California to Houston, to profit from low tax rates. But that does NOT mean that Texas has produced the IT experties and the creativity that invented Dropbox. I sincerely doubt that there is any Cletus or Clebus from Texas to Virginia who even knows what hex editing is. Hell, those people probably dont even know how to install an add blocker on their browser. I make models and textures for game mods and am an aspireing game developer. I want to go to Berlin,Prague,Dublin,Glasgow,Barcelona or if possible Boston. Because those cities have educational facilities and like minded people who invest time and resources into creativity and IT. Maybe one day, should I ever be in the position of owning a buisness, I`d considere moving my company to Luxenburg or Texas for the low tax rates, but employ people from Luxenburg or Texas to build a creative studio when I could pick some of the finest minds from Berlin? Nein. Maybe for cleaning toilets.

Texas might attract existing buisnesses who want to save a buck. But it doesnt produce the creativity, experties and fresh mindset that is open to the world that would ever create a modern buisness like Dropbox, Microsoft, Warhorse, Creative Assembly, Google or even an engeniering beast like Volkswagen.
Over 2 million refugees from California alone have moved to Texas in search for jobs and opportunities.

Sitting on a pile of oil and letting other people dig it up makes you more like Saudi Arabia than a region that has the creative resources and open minded outlook to create new buisness. There will never be a Cletus and Clebus made IT buisness. All Texas has for itself is a low tax rate with which it attracks buisness built with a creative spirit and mindset that was produced in another state in which there is not a climate of ignorance and fear towards modernety.

And NASA has been in Houston for decades and it was here when this Country landed men on the Moon 6 times successfully and landed rovers on Mars successfully.

And NASA was put there to help out the local economy and its engeneers and scientists are from places like New England or California. Because a state in which people believe the sun is 6000 years old and rotates arround the earth will never produce someone capable of building an apollo rocket.

Maybe if Europe would have consulted NASA in TEXAS they would been able to successfully land that probe on that comet instead of basically littering on a Space rock.

Wow. And you have the arrogance of telling people they are arrogant? A group of international scientists does something that has never been done before and expand our understanding of the universe and all you can mumble is "down here back in good ol texas we stick arround cattle and lynch them negros - and thats how we made nasa prove the sun turns round the earth unlike them foreign faggots"

If I were you I would refrain from talking about things that you could not possibly comprehend. You're embarrassing yourself.

Coming from the person who thinks landing a prope on a commet is an embaressment to the scientific community. Show census reports or other that show I am wrong. Or anything other than "Them in texas have bigger dicks than them foreign faggots". If economy were the golden grail, pack your bags and move to Saudi Arabia. Creativity and an open mind is what builds a truely free and great society.

Last edited:
What people who have never seen the South think the South is...

BarnRebflag.jpg

What the modern South really is...

morgsq.jpg

spmainpub.jpg

spartmus.jpg

sprfling.jpg

(The last four pics are local pics from the city nearest me, mostly at a spring music festival downtown.)

Okay.

Archduke Ferdinand.

oh man Goshin... now you done it... those horrific pictures of bigots and ignorant rednecks is just going to fan the flames of hate.

Not at all. It's the nasty suits and cheap leisure-wear that will surely do for the South.

Been reading several social studies again on stereotypes mainly.

I firmly believe that most stereotypes are grounded in truth and have some justification to them. That they are the result of perception and expirience by peoples and not just the result of a media portrait of peoples and cultures. Of course such cultural presentations do contribute to a stereotype, but I`d argue that the personal expiriences of peoples and the actual situation in society contributes more. And because of that, stereotypes do not just have more truth to them than some would say, they are also subject to change as society changes.

The stereotype of the Black thugh exists because of the gang and criminal culture within the poor black community.
The Southern stereotype exists because of the history and culture of the South.
Germans are seen as ruthless and cruel because our ancestors burned half the world.
British are seen as arrogant because within their culture is a post colonial sentiment of looking down on other cultures.

I mention this and the study because I had an argument with a friend over the subject. And he asked "Why is the stereotype of the American outside of America the Southern redneck?"
He sent me several studies to prove his point and I didnt have anything to counter that. Indeed the prevailing stereotype of the average American is that of the Southern redneck.

So how could this have happend?

Until the last 20 or so years a Redneck was nothing more than a poor dirt farmer. The redneck portion came from the farmer being out in the sun all the time bending over his crops where his neck became sunburned. Somewhere along the line those folks urban northeastern folks turned that word into one meaning prejudiced against or hating blacks solely based on their skin color.

You mention redneck in my part of the country and immediately Jeff Foxworthy and his redneck jokes comes to mind. That and NASCAR along with being a loyal family man. I consider myself to be a proud redneck. Perhaps the question is what your definition of redneck is. Time honored or is it defined by northern city dwellers over the last 20 years or so. Your choice I guess.

Until the last 20 or so years a Redneck was nothing more than a poor dirt farmer. The redneck portion came from the farmer being out in the sun all the time bending over his crops where his neck became sunburned. Somewhere along the line those folks urban northeastern folks turned that word into one meaning prejudiced against or hating blacks solely based on their skin color.

You mention redneck in my part of the country and immediately Jeff Foxworthy and his redneck jokes comes to mind. That and NASCAR along with being a loyal family man. I consider myself to be a proud redneck. Perhaps the question is what your definition of redneck is. Time honored or is it defined by northern city dwellers over the last 20 years or so. Your choice I guess.

Greetings, Pero. :2wave:

Welcome back! I missed ya! Hope all is well with you and yours.

We have a blizzard in progress right now! :shock: And it wasn't predicted! This is too much! :thumbdown: I'll take some of that redneck sun any time it wants to make an appearance! I had to do some traveling today by car, so I'm glad it held off till now! It looks icy...

Back
Top Bottom