• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How did the redneck come to represent America abroad?

The German

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Been reading several social studies again on stereotypes mainly.

I firmly believe that most stereotypes are grounded in truth and have some justification to them. That they are the result of perception and expirience by peoples and not just the result of a media portrait of peoples and cultures. Of course such cultural presentations do contribute to a stereotype, but I`d argue that the personal expiriences of peoples and the actual situation in society contributes more. And because of that, stereotypes do not just have more truth to them than some would say, they are also subject to change as society changes.

The stereotype of the Black thugh exists because of the gang and criminal culture within the poor black community.
The Southern stereotype exists because of the history and culture of the South.
Germans are seen as ruthless and cruel because our ancestors burned half the world.
British are seen as arrogant because within their culture is a post colonial sentiment of looking down on other cultures.

I mention this and the study because I had an argument with a friend over the subject. And he asked "Why is the stereotype of the American outside of America the Southern redneck?"
He sent me several studies to prove his point and I didnt have anything to counter that. Indeed the prevailing stereotype of the average American is that of the Southern redneck.

So how could this have happend?

Good marketing I guess. :2razz:

I firmly believe that most stereotypes are grounded in truth and have some justification to them. That they are the result of perception and expirience by peoples and not just the result of a media portrait of peoples and cultures. Of course such cultural presentations do contribute to a stereotype, but I`d argue that the personal expiriences of peoples and the actual situation in society contributes more. And because of that, stereotypes do not just have more truth to them than some would say, they are also subject to change as society changes.

The stereotype of the Black thugh exists because of the gang and criminal culture within the poor black community.
Germans are seen as ruthless and cruel because our ancestors burned half the world.
British are seen as arrogant because within their culture is a post colonial sentiment of looking down on other cultures.

I mention this and the study because I had an argument with a friend over the subject. And he asked "Why is the stereotype of the American outside of America the Southern redneck?"
He sent me several studies to prove his point and I didnt have anything to counter that. Indeed the prevailing stereotype of the average American is that of the Southern redneck.

So does spending time on a primary American forum change your stereotype? :2razz:

I think maybe one thing that might have helped contribute to that is television. Many tv shows it seems are "reality" shows of stereotypical redneck Americans acting like morons and taking the stereotype and trying to push it more and make it more pronounced. I don't know what gets syndicated outside the US but that's just a thought.

Good marketing I guess. :2razz:

I`d say bad marketing.

German is starting to change from "ruthless, cold and heartless" to "the people who are never late for work" and "make machines that always work".

Southern stereotypes arent changing cause the South hasnt and isnt chaning.

And incest, racism and biggotry isnt exactly something with which one could market themselves in a positive way.

So does spending time on a primary American forum change your stereotype? :2razz:

I think maybe one thing that might have helped contribute to that is television. Many tv shows it seems are "reality" shows of stereotypical redneck Americans acting like morons and taking the stereotype and trying to push it more and make it more pronounced. I don't know what gets syndicated outside the US but that's just a thought.

I have known Americans longer than most of my fellow Europeans.

My father is a Brit and his father is a WW2 veteran who is a close friend of US WW2 veterans and trough that my father also has alot of friends who are US WW2 veterans.

There was someone arround visiting our family very often whom I called uncle who was a veteran, so I partialy grew up amongst Americans.

I`d say bad marketing.

German is starting to change from "ruthless, cold and heartless" to "the people who are never late for work" and "make machines that always work".

And incest, racism and biggotry isnt exactly something with which one could market themselves in a positive way.

I don't disagree with you. I guess I used the wrong emoticon. When I was in Germany during the mid eighties I spent some of my time discussing American stereotypes with my native friends, and trying (unsuccessfully) to re-educate them on the subject.

Because we are essentially taught from our youth that America's the only truly free and civilized country in the world, that we have the best of everything, that we can only be happy here - hence the great fallacy of "American exceptionalism". That, and we seem to value, even treasure, ignorance of the rest of the world, as if the rest of the world doesn't matter. I remember a shipmate of mine who talked about how when he was in the Army, he and his buddies went to a restaurant somewhere overseas. The waitress asked them, "What do Americans call America?" and he replied, "The World." And he laughed about how insulted the waitress was at his answer.

That, and look at how many Americans (particularly among conservatives) seem to think that empathy for those who are not American (except for Israel) is not a beneficial trait, but something to be ignored. As a nation we've forgotten the value of humility and empathy for those who are not American.

Just what is a redneck, anyway?

Here in America, we make jokes about them, sometimes see ourselves representing them, but aren't really united on a definition.

Here's a list of 300 reasons to think someone might be a redneck:

You think "loading the dishwasher" means getting your wife drunk.
You ever cut your grass and found a car.
You own a home that is mobile and 5 cars that aren't.
You think the stock market has a fence around it.
Your stereo speakers used to belong to the Drive-in Theater.
Your boat has not left the drive-way in 15 years.
You own a homemade fur coat.
Chiggers are included on your list of top 5 hygiene concerns.
You burn your yard rather than mow it.
Your wife has ever said, "Come move this transmission so I can take a bath."

Chiggers, if you're lucky enough never to have encountered them, are tiny insects that live in the south, usually in grassy areas. They bite and leave itchy bumps.

I don't disagree with you. I guess I used the wrong emoticon. When I was in Germany during the mid eighties I spent some of my time discussing American stereotypes with my native friends, and trying (unsuccessfully) to re-educate them on the subject.

Now that was a red neck thing to do!
;)

Hate to burst your bubble, but NOPE

That is interesting. I do not believe i have run into that. I encounter a lot of people that think Americans are stupid, uneducated, rude or imperialistic. But red neck i don't think I have encountered. I am not even sure how it would be expressed.

While I am certainly not a redneck, it bothers me it has become a derogatory word. I grew up thinking a redneck was a working class guy who most likely worked outside and broke a sweat for a living, preferred rural living to city living, did their own home and vehicle repairs, and yes, probably lacked a college education since they most likely worked in the trades. It didn't imply they were racist or ignorant, just "rougher around the edges".

While I am certainly not a redneck, it bothers me it has become a derogatory word. I grew up thinking a redneck was a working class guy who most likely worked outside and broke a sweat for a living, preferred rural living to city living, did their own home and vehicle repairs, and yes, probably lacked a college education since they most likely worked in the trades. It didn't imply they were racist or ignorant, just "rougher around the edges".

Those people aren't rednecks, I come from a rural area and know that real rednecks are the idiots with the intelligence of a potato, drive big trucks, listen to country music blasting through their truck speakers, and wear flannel or camo with cowboy boots and large belt buckles.

I`d say bad marketing.

Spent lots of time below the Mason-Dixon line have we? Well-travelled in the southern US? Lived here long?

Doubtful. If you think the South hasn't changed, you know not whereof you speak.

Spent lots of time below the Mason-Dixon line have we? Well-travelled in the southern US? Lived here long?

Doubtful. If you think the South hasn't changed, you know not whereof you speak.

I have also never been to North Korea but know that it`s rubbish.

I have also never been to North Korea but know that it`s rubbish.

Comparing the two shows you knoweth not whereof you speak, not in the slightest.

I, on the other hand, have lived mostly in the American South for nearly 50 years, and I can tell you plainly that it has changed dramatically just in my lifetime.

So folks can choose who to listen to, someone who's never been here, or someone with 50 years experience.

Comparing the two shows you knoweth not whereof you speak, not in the slightest.

I didnt compare the two, I made a point.

I have never been to New York, but know there is a statue of liberty there.

I have never been to Boston but know it`s an awsome hub of culture.

I have never been to LA but know it`s overrated.

I have never been to Memphis but know that there is only a small memorial plaque for martin Luther King but a statue of the founder of the KKK in the cities center.

Because it's the most entertaining stereotype, and rednecks embrace their stereotype as a matter of pride.....
And it permits Europeans to feel more superior to those illiterate bucked tooth shotgun toting bud light drinking inbreds

Vorsprung durch technik! Though bullying Greece isn't helping.

I have never been to Memphis but know that there is only a small memorial plaque for martin Luther King but a statue of the founder of the KKK in the cities center.

What you don't know about the South could fill an entire library.

There IS a statue to Lt General Nathan Bedford Forrest in Memphis... honoring his SERVICE in the Confederate military.

Yes, Forrest was the first leader of the KKK. However he only held that position for a few years, then attempted to dissolve the KKK entirely due to some of the organization committing acts of violence. He left that organization and spent time in his later years attempting to help white and black Southern society reconcile to the changes that had occurred. His last public appearance was a speech ...

...speech before an organization of black Southerners advocating racial reconciliation, called the Independent Order of Pole-Bearers Association. At this, his last public appearance, he made what the New York Times described as a "friendly speech"[10] during which, when offered a bouquet of flowers by a black woman, he accepted them as a token of reconciliation between the races and espoused a radically progressive (for the time) agenda of equality and harmony between black and white Americans

Again, you know nothing about the South. History, or modern.

The old stereotype was the "ugly American" boorish tourist wearing a loud Hawaiian shirt and a camera around his neck. Maybe the problem is the stereotyping itself.

Just a thought.

What you don't know about the South could fill an entire library.

What I dont know about New York could fill several national libaries, but that doesnt change that I know the statue of liberty is there.
There IS a statue to Lt General Nathan Bedford Forrest in Memphis... honoring his SERVICE in the Confederate military.

Thats pritty much a common excuse by now.

There arent many statues of famed and successful US generals who massacred native Americans are there?

The US has a national concience and a sence of historic responsibility, but the south doesnt.

Yes, Forrest was the first leader of the KKK. However he only held that position for a few years, then attempted to dissolve the KKK entirely due to some of the organization committing acts of violence. He left that organization and spent time in his later years attempting to help white and black Southern society reconcile to the changes that had occurred. His last public appearance was a speech ...

Oh I am sure that they built a state for him during a time when blacks were lynched and segregated because of that speech.

Not....

"The Indians are a race of savagry ho believe in an ill and savage religion" - Winston Churchill.

With many historical figures their personal beliefs and actions are not as important to greater modern society than their legacy.

Even if that legacy is not what the person intended it to be.

Again, you know nothing about the South. History, or modern.

What I dont know about the South could fill a libary, what I know about it is enought to conclude that is not a decent place and it`s inhabitans are by in large an indecent people.

How come news stories about racism, hate crimes and historic revisionism always come from the South?

Is it because the entire world doesnt understand the South or because the South uses that line as an excuse for being in contempt with modernety since 1864?

I have traveled most of the US and Boston is by far the most racist place I have ever lived. How does that square with what you think you know about the US.

Back
Top Bottom