• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Did the Apostles Die?

Daisy

"Make sure of the more important things."
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Who here would be willing to die for something they know is a lie? I sure wouldn't...

d74de5555c3d8018f9da84d69807b866.jpg

It is not so important how the apostles died. What is important is the fact that they were all willing to die for their faith. If Jesus had not been resurrected, the disciples would have known it. People will not die for something they know to be a lie. The fact that all of the apostles were willing to die horrible deaths, refusing to renounce their faith in Christ, is tremendous evidence that they had truly witnessed the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
https://www.gotquestions.org/apostles-die.html

It doesn't seem like a very promising career.
Oh I dunno, seems like they've gotten some highly esteemed positions in the end...the privilege of being foundation members of the heavenly government under the King Jesus Christ...

"The wall of the city also had 12 foundation stones, and on them were the 12 names of the 12 apostles+ of the Lamb." Revelation 21:14

Please provide the relevant - non-Christian - documentation that supports the martyrdom of the Eleven. When did Matthias become a disciple?

Please provide the relevant - non-Christian - documentation that supports the martyrdom of the Eleven. When did Matthias become a disciple?
He was the disciple selected by lot to replace Judas Iscariot as an apostle...Acts 1:15-26...

Yeah. There once were people that died believing in bloodletting. It didn't work out so well for them either.
Yeah, not the same thing at all...these men saw the resurrected Jesus...

Hmm… homicide/suicide bombers are willing to die for Allah and don’t require much outside assistance. Religious zealotry can make folks do some very odd (crazy?) things.

Hmm… homicide/suicide bombers are willing to die for Allah and don’t require much outside assistance. Religious zealotry can make folks do some very odd (crazy?) things.
Again, not the same thing at all...these men died merely for what they believed in, by the hands of others...

Sorry, I find it hard to believe the imaginations of semi-illiterate goat herders that lived 2000 years ago.
Whether you believe it or not, they died for their faith...all they had to do was denounce what they believed and they could've lived...they chose to hold to it...

Whether you believe it or not, they died for their faith...all they had to do was denounce what they believed and they could've lived...they chose to hold to it...

Please provide some documentation that shows the 'martyrdom' of the people named - or not, your choice.

Oh I dunno, seems like they've gotten some highly esteemed positions in the end...the privilege of being foundation members of the heavenly government under the King Jesus Christ...

"The wall of the city also had 12 foundation stones, and on them were the 12 names of the 12 apostles+ of the Lamb." Revelation 21:14

But I don't want to spend eternity as part of a wall.

Who here would be willing to die for something they know is a lie? I sure wouldn't...

It is not so important how the apostles died. What is important is the fact that they were all willing to die for their faith. If Jesus had not been resurrected, the disciples would have known it. People will not die for something they know to be a lie. The fact that all of the apostles were willing to die horrible deaths, refusing to renounce their faith in Christ, is tremendous evidence that they had truly witnessed the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
So they didn't know they died for believing a lie?

The honest answer is, people do it all the time. And for all kinds of stupid reasons. Sometimes they convince themselves they are exceptional, and aren't going to die. Smokers kill themselves every day, believing it isn't killing them. Throughout history, millions have died in wars, fighting and dying for things they did not believe in. Consider the suicide bomber. Do you think every one of them in the past 40+ years has really believed in their professed reason for martyrdom? Or was something about it just easier than living at the time?

People do all sorts of stupid things, and often believe all sorts of even stupider things. Consider the Heaven's Gate true believers. They all saw the comet - so it wasn't a lie, either. Can you say for sure that they didn't catch comet Hale-Bopp when it came for them? And guess what their religious text was? That's right - the bible. And how many drank the Kool-Aid at the Jonestown suicide? Over 900 I believe. Same results for David Koresh and the Branch Dividians. Another "christian" who preached the bible.

Makes you think, doesn't it? Or at least is should.

They screwed around with Ukraine?

Curious, but how many professed Christians today would be willing to die if they were to be killed if they did not renounce their beliefs?
Perhaps would make a good poll question, though I don't know how provably honest the answers would be.

The honest answer is, people do it all the time. And for all kinds of stupid reasons. Sometimes they convince themselves they are exceptional, and aren't going to die. Smokers kill themselves every day, believing it isn't killing them. Throughout history, millions have died in wars, fighting and dying for things they did not believe in. Consider the suicide bomber. Do you think every one of them in the past 40+ years has really believed in their professed reason for martyrdom? Or was something about it just easier than living at the time?

People do all sorts of stupid things, and often believe all sorts of even stupider things. Consider the Heaven's Gate true believers. They all saw the comet - so it wasn't a lie, either. Can you say for sure that they didn't catch comet Hale-Bopp when it came for them? And guess what their religious text was? That's right - the bible. And how many drank the Kool-Aid at the Jonestown suicide? Over 900 I believe. Same results for David Koresh and the Branch Dividians. Another "christian" who preached the bible.

Makes you think, doesn't it? Or at least is should.
Don't you think this is slightly different? All they had to do was to stop speaking about Jesus and their lives would've been spared...they did not drink Kool-Aid, they did not commit suicide in any way...they died at the hands of others for what they voiced, nothing else, in a most gruesome way and it would've been so easy to prevent it...

Don't you think this is slightly different? All they had to do was to stop speaking about Jesus and their lives would've been spared...they did not drink Kool-Aid, they did not commit suicide in any way...they died at the hands of others for what they voiced, nothing else, in a most gruesome way and it would've been so easy to prevent it...

You have yet to provide any documentation for the martyrdom of the apostles. WHY?

Curious, but how many professed Christians today would be willing to die if they were to be killed if they did not renounce their beliefs?
Perhaps would make a good poll question, though I don't know how provably honest the answers would be.
A difficult question for sure...I would hope my answer would be yes, if ever faced with the choice...it happened to many of my spiritual brothers and sisters during World War 2...

Jehovah’s Witnesses endured intense persecution under the Nazi regime. Actions against the religious group and its individual members spanned the Nazi years 1933 to 1945. Unlike Jews, Sinti and Roma (“Gypsies”), and others persecuted and killed by virtue of their birth, Jehovah’s Witnesses had the opportunity to escape persecution and personal harm by renouncing their religious beliefs. The courage the vast majority displayed in refusing to do so, in the face of torture, maltreatment in concentration camps, and sometimes execution, won them the respect of many contemporaries.
https://www.ushmm.org/collections/bibliography/jehovahs-witnesses

Back
Top Bottom