• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How did people celebrate the New Year?

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Did you party down? Did you get drunk? Did you watch the ball drop? Did you get arrested? Did you get charged with DUI?

My husband and I cooked a nice dinner, watched The March of the Penguins (which was so cute), and then went to bed waaaaaaaaay before midnight. Are we boring, or what? :lol:

aps said:
Did you party down? Did you get drunk? Did you watch the ball drop? Did you get arrested? Did you get charged with DUI?

My husband and I cooked a nice dinner, watched The March of the Penguins (which was so cute), and then went to bed waaaaaaaaay before midnight. Are we boring, or what? :lol:

For the first time in several years my wife and I went to a party and had a great time.

I drank a 12 pack of Amstel Light, 2 glasses of champaign and a Miller Lite.

My wife had 5 screwdrivers, 2 'Alabama Slamma' shots and a glass of champaign.

We made it to about 3:00 A.M.

Luckily it was my brother in law's party so we crashed overnight.

Dont feel bad...my new year was just as boring. My partner and I moved to a new place and New Years eve we spent our first night there. We watched a movie and a couple of friends came by on their way out for the evening festivities. At midnight we opened a bottle of Dom and had a glass of champagne with smoked salmon spread, pineapples, crackers, and strawberries. The one glass of champagne made me light headed and I passed out in my armchair at about 1AM during the second movie we rented. I think he might have sat up and played the Xbox for a while...

Darn, I knew I forgot something............NEW YEARS!:doh

I worked, and actually did forget the day, my wife had to remind me. I said, that's great honey, can I get back to work now, it was obviously quite eventless. I have never been one to celebrate News Years, it just seems like yet another reason to get drunk.:roll:

jallman said:
Dont feel bad...my new year was just as boring. My partner and I moved to a new place and New Years eve we spent our first night there. We watched a movie and a couple of friends came by on their way out for the evening festivities. At midnight we opened a bottle of Dom and had a glass of champagne with smoked salmon spread, pineapples, crackers, and strawberries. The one glass of champagne made me light headed and I passed out in my armchair at about 1AM during the second movie we rented. I think he might have sat up and played the Xbox for a while...

Funny.....that doesn't sound boring....to quote Marilyn in The Seven Year Itch, "I think it's just elegant."

I had an uneventful night at home with my kids. Just the way I like it.

mixedmedia said:
Funny.....that doesn't sound boring....to quote Marilyn in The Seven Year Itch, "I think it's just elegant."

I had an uneventful night at home with my kids. Just the way I like it.

Aww, thats cool. Did you guys do anything festive together? I just cant believe that one glass of champagne put me down like it did. I woke up later and saw that the other half did quite a good job at finishing the bottle by himself. He was all red faced and made the comment that he liked champagne...drunk and bubbles go quite nicely together.

New Years Day itself was a little more festive. I cooked a ham with mashed potatoes, collard greens, black eyed peas, and yellow squash. And for dessert I made a Almond Cranberry Orange Tart. Had a couple friends over and had dinner in the new place. It was a very nice way to start the new year off.

jallman said:
Aww, thats cool. Did you guys do anything festive together? I just cant believe that one glass of champagne put me down like it did. I woke up later and saw that the other half did quite a good job at finishing the bottle by himself. He was all red faced and made the comment that he liked champagne...drunk and bubbles go quite nicely together.

New Years Day itself was a little more festive. I cooked a ham with mashed potatoes, collard greens, black eyed peas, and yellow squash. And for dessert I made a Almond Cranberry Orange Tart. Had a couple friends over and had dinner in the new place. It was a very nice way to start the new year off.

Not really. I made a big pot of chili for supper. Later we had a bottle of champagne - my oldest ones are 17 and 19, old enough for a little bubbly on New Year's Eve - and just hung out. They spent a good bit of time playing Playstation and Nintendo games - I spent some time on DP then - video games can only hold my interest for so long...we watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Made my oldest daughter sad. She's a sensitive one, nothing at all like her mom. :mrgreen: And I went to bed around 12:05. New Year's day we watched The Godfather, Part II. Good times!

Collard greens and black-eyed peas? Where you from again, jallman? Dem's suth'rn delicacies. And it sounds reeeeaaaallll good. This is the first year I have not had black-eyed peas on New Year's Day in quite a few years. Quite frankly, I simply forgot.
But truthfully, I think that luck thing's just superstition....never really worked for me before. I think it's gonna be a better year than I've had in a loooonnnnngg time.;)

mixedmedia said:
Collard greens and black-eyed peas? Where you from again, jallman? Dem's suth'rn delicacies. And it sounds reeeeaaaallll good. This is the first year I have not had black-eyed peas on New Year's Day in quite a few years. Quite frankly, I simply forgot.
But truthfully, I think that luck thing's just superstition....never really worked for me before. I think it's gonna be a better year than I've had in a loooonnnnngg time.;)

Well, I grew up in the south...in North Carolina actually. My family owns an old plantation manor out in the little town of Bunn, NC. Its about 45 minutes north east of raleigh. I graduated from Bunn High, and then went on to attend NCSU and Duke. Now I live up here in Alaska...opposite side of the globe practically. I am always looking forward to the day I return to North Carolina...which should be pretty soon, as in the next couple of years. Five years here in Alaska has been long enough and I think I have travelled far enough now that my wanderlust has been appeased. I think nowdays I am turning my attentions to a settled life of good hard work, early bed times, and lazy weekends. It's really funny how the things you despised growing up become closest to your heart as you age...

jallman said:

You just must give me that recipe for the "Almond Cranberry Orange Tart" Jallman:lol:;)

jallman said:
Well, I grew up in the south...in North Carolina actually. My family owns an old plantation manor out in the little town of Bunn, NC. Its about 45 minutes north east of raleigh. I graduated from Bunn High, and then went on to attend NCSU and Duke. Now I live up here in Alaska...opposite side of the globe practically. I am always looking forward to the day I return to North Carolina...which should be pretty soon, as in the next couple of years. Five years here in Alaska has been long enough and I think I have travelled far enough now that my wanderlust has been appeased. I think nowdays I am turning my attentions to a settled life of good hard work, early bed times, and lazy weekends. It's really funny how the things you despised growing up become closest to your heart as you age...
Well, that explains it. My people are from Atlanta, but slowly, over the years, my immediate family have all ended up here in Florida. Growing up I used to go to NC with my Dad, mostly to the Smokies but sometimes to Asheville, Boone, Winston-Salem, and everywhere in between - all along the western border with Tennessee. There's some really beautiful spots there and I still love those mountains.

I fall into the "lame" boat. Thursday and Friday of last week I had spent 7.5 hours at the dentist. In an effort to use up my insurance by the end of the year and get some stuff done (3 wisdom teeth pulled, 2 root canals, 3 cavities filled, a crown, and a couple veneers), I was a bit exhausted to say the least. A good friend came over and kept me company. We watched the Godfather Trilogy and he had a Miller High Life (the "Champagne of Beers") at midnight. I did make it to the annual New Year's day poker party and lost money, lots of money. But all in all, it actually was a good one New Year's.

Deegan said:
Darn, I knew I forgot something............NEW YEARS!:doh

I worked, and actually did forget the day, my wife had to remind me. I said, that's great honey, can I get back to work now, it was obviously quite eventless. I have never been one to celebrate News Years, it just seems like yet another reason to get drunk.:roll:

My wife and I had been passing the new year celebrations up for a long time. We have had several very bad years. I hope that by partying 2005 away we'll finally have a good year in 2006. Because just sitting around lamenting about how bad everything has been hasn't been working.

Let's see here...New Year's Eve day, I spent the morning at my mom's helping her set up my old computer that I had brought up the night before for her (her computer was a couple of years older than my old one, and she was still running Windows ME (though the worst part is her boyfriend still has 98!)), then spent four hours driving home....relaxed for a bit and then the hubby and I drove around uptown Charlotte for an hour looking for a parking spot.

Finally found a place to park, and walked to the center of uptown for the New Year's celebration.....found ourselves in the middle of a bunch of gangstas (as hubby put it)...started getting a little claustrophic as people were packed in, so we went walking around the block and then stuck to the outskirts of the crowd. Watched the midnight fireworks and then sat in the parking garage for about an hour because someone's wheel fell off when they were trying to turn out of the garage....yeah, they didn't have a very happy start to 2006!

And......New Year's Day, we mostly were bums, nothing too special.

For the dinner :
- home-made foie gras,
- wild boar (killed this day),
- lots of very funny cheeses,
- many patisseries.

With great Champagne and a bottle of Saint-Emilion (chateau Grangey) 1993.

You're welcome in France for 2007.

Wotk

aps said:
Did you get arrested?
Ironic, but no. I was in a car about 5 min. before 12:00 AM, when I was downtown, I saw someone getting arrested and being questioned by police, in front of some office building, with about 2 dozen people watching, I think the person was probably only sixteen too. Sucks for them.

For dinner I had some birria and then got really drunk. My friend had a new year party and it was off the hook! I do remember getting on a table and dancing...:doh

americanwoman said:
For dinner I had some birria and then got really drunk. My friend had a new year party and it was off the hook! I do remember getting on a table and dancing...:doh

I remember Y2K new years....kinda. The guy I was seeing at the time worked in telecommunications so he was working on New Years Eve. I went out to a bar and had some drinks with friends, and then had champagne at midnight. Somehow, in my drunkenness, I decided that my other deserved to have champagne on New Years too, so I ended up leaving the bar with a glass of champagne and some balloons...got into a cab and went to his house...and promptly fell asleep on the front porch with the balloons in one hand, the keys in the door, and the full glass of bubbly in the other. He was nice enough to take a picture of it before he carried me in :rofl

jallman said:
so I ended up leaving the bar with a glass of champagne and some balloons...got into a cab and went to his house...and promptly fell asleep on the front porch with the balloons in one hand, the keys in the door, and the full glass of bubbly in the other. He was nice enough to take a picture of it before he carried me in :rofl

anyway we get to see this picture?:2razz:

Back
Top Bottom