• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How did FDR's politices affect America?

How did FDR's policies affect America?

• Total voters

Lakryte

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
1). FDR prolonged the Great Depression
2). FDR helped ease the pain of the Great Depression
3). FDR's policies had little or no effect on the Great Depression
4). Some of his policies hurt the economy, others helped it.
5). Other

The New Deals (both of them) were a disaster in all sorts of ways.

Some of the programs were ruled unconstitutional - so that was a waste of taxpayer money and government time. Others were repealed in the following decade
Other programs did help - but the help that was suppose to be temporary and turned out to be permanent and now works against the original goal.

A horrible thing was the 'Undistributed Profits Tax' - which really encouraged business to distribute (via bonuses or benefits) their profit rather than saving it up. . . However - if businesses *saved* excessive profits then they would be *able* to handle a severe economic hit (like we've been going through) - and use that savings to cushion for a while . . . just as families dip into savings when things get tight.

Thankfully that didn't stick around.

It was also quite sexist - but that doesn't actually matter, now, they saw the errors in sex-favoritism and were forced to alter things in the first few years.

Unrelated to the New Deal was FDR's repeal of Prohibition - purely monetarily motivated and it proved to be a huge perk for the gov.

some things were good - short term, it was good. It got people out of Hoovervilles, everyone started working against . .. and things did balance out. But in the long term other things that he started (either directly or merely seeded) became volatile and just a canker.

Of course that was just his first term . . .

In his second term he faired far many more 'negative' marks than 'positive' - There was a recession in 1937 as a result of what happened in the previous years. . . which Rosey tried to turn into a political-partisan bunch of crap, blaming Republicans . . and Republicans blamed Democrats (all this sound so familiar, doesn't it!)

It was at this point that, instead of trying to curtail spending, they went hog wild and spent even *more* money . . . of course *more* government spending = *more* money needed from the people.

Then the war came (wipes the sweat from FDR's worried brow) . . . which doubled the GDP - and decreased unemployment . . .and had a lasting effect because it also killed off a lot of the workforce quite permanently - so there were just less people to provide for.

In essence - every time the government does some big, huge, extravagant *anything* to correct a social or economic problem there will be a *good* and a *bad* and a lot of in the middles - that's just the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
Well it's hard to say that it did anything with the Great Depression since that was interrupted by WW II, which is what really got us out of it. But his policies were unconstitutional and only passed because he threatened the Supreme Court, which is also very disturbing. He also put us under a declared state of emergency which has never been canceled since. We've been under an official State of Emergency since March 9. 1933. Of which Congressman James M. Beck said:
""I think of all the damnable heresies that have ever been suggested in connection with the Constitution, the doctrine of emergency is the worst. it means that when Congress declares an emergency, there is no Constitution. This means its death. It is the very doctrine that the German chancellor is invoking today in the dying hours of the parliamentary body of the German republic, namely, that because of an emergency, it should grant to the German chancellor absolute power to pass any law, even though the law contradicts the Constitution of the German republic. Chancellor Hitler is at least frank about it. We pay the Constitution lipservice, but the result is the same....But the Constitution of the United States, as a restraining influence in keeping the federal government within the carefully prescribed channels of power, is moribund, if not dead. We are witnessing its death-agonies, for when this bill becomes a law, if unhappily it becomes a law, there is no longer any workable Constitution to keep the Congress within the limits of its Constitutional powers."

FDR did the most of any President to destroy the Constitution and open up the flood gates for government expansion and usurpation of power.

Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau May 1939:
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and now if I am wrong somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosper. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. I say after eight years of this administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started.And enormous debt to boot."

Could you imagine Geithner coming out and saying that about the Stimulus Bill?

Well it's hard to say that it did anything with the Great Depression since that was interrupted by WW II, which is what really got us out of it. But his policies were unconstitutional and only passed because he threatened the Supreme Court, which is also very disturbing. He also put us under a declared state of emergency which has never been canceled since. We've been under an official State of Emergency since March 9. 1933. Of which Congressman James M. Beck said:
""I think of all the damnable heresies that have ever been suggested in connection with the Constitution, the doctrine of emergency is the worst. it means that when Congress declares an emergency, there is no Constitution. This means its death. It is the very doctrine that the German chancellor is invoking today in the dying hours of the parliamentary body of the German republic, namely, that because of an emergency, it should grant to the German chancellor absolute power to pass any law, even though the law contradicts the Constitution of the German republic. Chancellor Hitler is at least frank about it. We pay the Constitution lipservice, but the result is the same....But the Constitution of the United States, as a restraining influence in keeping the federal government within the carefully prescribed channels of power, is moribund, if not dead. We are witnessing its death-agonies, for when this bill becomes a law, if unhappily it becomes a law, there is no longer any workable Constitution to keep the Congress within the limits of its Constitutional powers."

FDR did the most of any President to destroy the Constitution and open up the flood gates for government expansion and usurpation of power.

And the source for all this is ?
school?
parents?
direct experience?
outcome based opinions?
??

:rofl Oh man, yep - I forgot about his 'Switch in time that saved 9' and how much he wanted to warp everyone to his bidding.

If FDR had never been elected, most of the crap that the government does today and most of our deficit would not exist.

1). FDR prolonged the Great Depression
2). FDR helped ease the pain of the Great Depression
3). FDR's policies had little or no effect on the Great Depression
4). Some of his policies hurt the economy, others helped it.
5). Other

you don't have an option for "FDR made the Great Depression"

I think FDR's policies prolonged the depression and hurt the country. However, certain things like the FDA were very helpful.

you don't have an option for "FDR made the Great Depression"

I was always under the impression it was the Federal Reserve that caused the Great Depression. FDR just prolonged it.

Back
Top Bottom