• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How did Christians abrogate these verses about hell?

Valery

Reaction score
Revelation 21:8 "But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”"

Revelation 19:20 "And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur."

2 Peter 2:4 "For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them in chains of darkness to be held for judgment;"

Matthew 10:28 "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell."

Matthew 25:41"“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels."

Are we allowed to wear clothing made up of two different materials yet? Seems trivial but this impacts my Saturday shopping, presumably happening before I go off to hell.

I’d suggest that the vast majority of Christians view and treat the bible as an “a la cart” kind of guide to their beliefs.
(side note – probably true for any religious group and their respective religious texts)

Some of it is supported with great passion.
Some of it's fine and dandy.
Some of it is mildly acceptable depending on the day and circumstance.
Some of it is conveniently overlooked.
Some of it is flat-out ignored on every level.

Revelation 21:8 "But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”"

Revelation 19:20 "And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur."

2 Peter 2:4 "For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them in chains of darkness to be held for judgment;"

Matthew 10:28 "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell."

Matthew 25:41"“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels."

Lord Of The Rings is a better read.

I’d suggest that the vast majority of Christians view and treat the bible as an “a la cart” kind of guide to their beliefs.
(side note – probably true for any religious group and their respective religious texts)

Some of it is supported with great passion.
Some of it's fine and dandy.
Some of it is mildly acceptable depending on the day and circumstance.
Some of it is conveniently overlooked.
Some of it is flat-out ignored on every level.

The vast majority of Christian ignore this.

Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” Matthew 19:21

The vast majority of Christian ignore this.

Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” Matthew 19:21

I'd say a good majority of christians ignore the entire Old Testament, except for when it benefits them in a debate.

I'd say a good majority of christians ignore the entire Old Testament, except for when it benefits them in a debate.

That is why I find them to be amusing. And the quote is from the NT, which Christians should obey, according to Christians.

I was brought up as a Catholic, did all of those things a young Catholic was supposed to do. I was taught hell was a real
place where you suffer forever. I think it was when I was 14 or 15 before I dared say a word like s#it. Today I look back
at the the way I was indoctrinated as a youngster and hell is what forced me more than anything to abide by the rules.

Point is this, beautiful, wonderful religion where you can burn in hell for eternity.

This is what I believe to be a major difference between Christianity and Islam. The bible had about 40 authors (cooks) concocting their dishes over hundreds of years. There was no cohesion or planning in how that smorgasbord came together. It's just a group of plates that happen to be on the same table. Cooking up the qur'an is a completely different story. One chef. One theme. One complete meal. No substitutions.

I was brought up as a Catholic, did all of those things a young Catholic was supposed to do. I was taught hell was a real
place where you suffer forever. I think it was when I was 14 or 15 before I dared say a word like s#it. Today I look back
at the the way I was indoctrinated as a youngster and hell is what forced me more than anything to abide by the rules.

Point is this, beautiful, wonderful religion where you can burn in hell for eternity.

Islam is worse. The threat of hell is made hundreds of times in the qur'an. Mohamed was all about the carrot and the stick.

Hell and the lake of fire are 2 separate things...hell is the grave, nothing more...all who go there are in a state of non existence...

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they no longer have any share in what is done under the sun...Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going." Ecclesiastes 9:5,10

Death is the wages of sin, not eternal human suffering...once that debt is paid is acquitted in God's eyes...

"For the one who has died has been acquitted from his sin...For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:7, 23

The lake of fire is exactly what Revelation 21:8 says it is...the 2nd death/complete/eternal destruction...

Hell and the lake of fire are 2 separate things...hell is the grave, nothing more...all who go there are in a state of non existence...

So, what is the lake of fire if not hell. The lake of fire appears in both ancient Egyptian and Christian religion as a place of after-death, punishment of the wicked
and the common concept of a hell.

Revelation 20:10 ..and the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone

So, what is the lake of fire if not hell. The lake of fire appears in both ancient Egyptian and Christian religion as a place of after-death, punishment of the wicked

Revelation 20:10 ..and the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone

It's also a relevant question, I think, how long has it been taught as not meaning actual hell?

The lake of fire is symbolic, as most of Revelation is, since it is a vision, representing complete destruction...we know this to be the case, since hell and death are thrown into it and they cannot literally burned but they can be destroyed...

HELL
A word used in the King James Version (as well as in the Catholic Douay Version and most older translations) to translate the Hebrew sheʼohlʹ and the Greek haiʹdes. In the King James Version the word “hell” is rendered from sheʼohlʹ 31 times and from haiʹdes 10 times. This version is not consistent, however, since sheʼohlʹ is also translated 31 times “grave” and 3 times “pit.” In the Douay Version sheʼohlʹ is rendered “hell” 64 times, “pit” once, and “death” once.

Hell — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

Lake of fire
A symbolic place that “burns with fire and sulfur,” also described as “the second death.” Unrepentant sinners, the Devil, and even death and the Grave (or, Hades) are thrown into it. The inclusion of a spirit creature and also of death and Hades, all of which cannot be affected by fire, indicates that this lake is a symbol, not of everlasting torment, but of everlasting destruction.​—Re 19:20; 20:14, 15; 21:8.

Lake of fire — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

Posted by gboisjo

It's also a relevant question, I think, how long has it been taught as not meaning actual hell?

Its not what I learned as a young Catholic. I don't remember anything being taught about a place of non-existence other
than maybe a purgatory for the damned.

The above quote is wrong which makes me wonder what other falsehoods you post?

Revelation 21:8, KJV: "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." ... This is the second death.

I personally view the term Hell maybe a little differently than most. In the Old Testament, you have to remember that we are reading about people that are spiritual 'children' and the messages given to them were extreme. Dont do this, or else...

When you think about it, its not a lot different from how we teach our own children. There isnt a lot of benefit in having a long philosophical discussion as to why they shouldnt run into the street or stick a fork in an electrical outlet. So we give them an extreme which basically says dont do that **** or you will DIE. But as they grow older we are able to have more reasoned discussions about the "thou shalt nots..." and the young adult can then apply reason and choice...and face appropriate consequences.

There isnt any difference in the love we have for our children...we just recognize they need different things at different stages of their existence. So...in the old testament...the people were developing and Hell as an end result was literally a fiery furnace where we burn forever and are never consumed. In the new testament, after the birth of Christ and the promise of his role as Savior, Hell begins to be understood as a different thing. If you believe in Eternal life and know that through your actions and choices, you will face an eternal consequence by not choosing the gift of salvation, that is Hell...for the eternities. What we have become and why.

Personally, I view God as a loving God. Those with good hearts but who have never felt the spirit and been converted will be judged not on their lack of faith but on their actions...on who they are. Similarly, those that profess a faith but live lives treating people like **** will also face a consequence...and know a certain level of Hell. They will know what is and what could have been.

A lake of fire sucks. But dealing with your own judgement of your own actions for the eternities? I think that is far worse.

No sweat people, the Lake Of Fire is fictional. One might as well get worked up about the Eye Of Sauron.

Looking into the concept of hell, it would appear that hell and its meaning has changed overtime. The revised bible does in fact place hell as death and nothing more ..a softening of its original concept.

In ancient Jewish belief, the dead were consigned to Sheol, a place to which all sinners were sent indiscriminately Genesis 37:35, Numbers 16:30-33, Psalm 86:13, Ecclesiastes 9:10. Sheol was thought of as a place situated below the ground, Ezek. 31:15, a place of darkness, silence and forgetfulness, Job 10:21. By the third to second century BC, the idea had grown to encompass separate divisions in Sheol for the righteous and wicked, Book of Enoch and by the time of Jesus, some Jews had come to believe that those in Sheol awaited the resurrection of the dead either in comfort as in the bosom of Abraham or in torment.

Point is this, the concept of hell has evolved over time, today it is a much more gentle place or concept than it was in the past.

Looking into the concept of hell, it would appear that hell and its meaning has changed overtime. The revised bible does in fact place hell as death and nothing more ..a softening of its original concept.

In ancient Jewish belief, the dead were consigned to Sheol, a place to which all sinners were sent indiscriminately Genesis 37:35, Numbers 16:30-33, Psalm 86:13, Ecclesiastes 9:10. Sheol was thought of as a place situated below the ground, Ezek. 31:15, a place of darkness, silence and forgetfulness, Job 10:21. By the third to second century BC, the idea had grown to encompass separate divisions in Sheol for the righteous and wicked, Book of Enoch and by the time of Jesus, some Jews had come to believe that those in Sheol awaited the resurrection of the dead either in comfort as in the bosom of Abraham or in torment.

Point is this, the concept of hell has evolved over time, today it is a much more gentle place or concept than it was in the past.

Paganism crept in and defiled Christian beliefs for many...in truth, hell has always been the grave...

No sweat people, the Lake Of Fire is fictional. One might as well get worked up about the Eye Of Sauron.

It's one tiny choice from the great pick and mix which the various Christian sects and schisms select for themselves to suit themselves. Cowboy Church anyone? Where is that in the Bible?

Metaphors, Christ showed us the use of metaphor when he explained parables to his disciples.

It's one tiny choice from the great pick and mix which the various Christian sects and schisms select for themselves to suit themselves. Cowboy Church anyone? Where is that in the Bible?

The various schisms and sects are the reason why I cannot take religion seriously. If there really was one true god and one true religion then surely we would all be believers.

The various schisms and sects are the reason why I cannot take religion seriously. If there really was one true god and one true religion then surely we would all be believers.

"And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps disguising himself as an angel of light. It is therefore nothing extraordinary if his ministers also keep disguising themselves as ministers of righteousness. But their end will be according to their works." 2 Corinthians 11:14,15

Back
Top Bottom