• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How did Christians abrogate these verses about hell?

Metaphors, Christ showed us the use of metaphor when he explained parables to his disciples.

One of the first objections to a real, physical place called hell is the belief that it is a metaphor. Some people believe that you can not take the Bible literally when it speaks of hell. But the question must be asked, how can we know when the Bible speaks literally and when it doesn’t ..does the laymen need someone like you to interpret its meaning and show us the clues as to its real meaning.

Real vs metaphor ..in other words, a fire doesn’t always have to be symbolic, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I guess its the reason why some can study one biblical passage for years ..a bit like poetry.

Understanding the mostly uneducated, superstitious ancients can be a bit on tricky side.

One of the first objections to a real, physical place called hell is the belief that it is a metaphor. Some people believe that you can not take the Bible literally when it speaks of hell. But the question must be asked, how can we know when the Bible speaks literally and when it doesn’t ..does the laymen need someone like you to interpret its meaning and show us the clues as to its real meaning.

Real vs metaphor ..in other words, a fire doesn’t always have to be symbolic, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I guess its the reason why some can study one biblical passage for years ..a bit like poetry.

Understanding the mostly uneducated, superstitious ancients can be a bit on tricky side.

By returning to the original Hebrew and Greek words for hell and their meaning...pretty simple, really...

This is a real, and honest problem.

Religious texts written 1000's of years in ago in languages and contexts most don't understand today.
Then translated and edited 1000's of times over the centuries.

You give the same book to 1000 different people and you'll end up with 1000 different interpretations for what they've read.
Making it worse is giving hundreds of different versions of the same book to 1000's of people.

Some will take passages literally. Some will say those same passages are metaphors.

This falls into the category of, when the vast majority of those in a religious group can't even agree on what they believe, how could they expect other to believe it too?

It would take you less than an hour to research the English term "hell" and the three Biblical terms translated into the English term "hell" which are Gehenna, Tartaros and Hades.

It always amuses me how the "enlightened" atheists carelessly assume exactly the same things as many Christians do, for all their purported objectivity and education they don't even bother to get at the facts.

The Bible is ancient, written in Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic and translated from those languages, you don't have believe the Bible in order to understand how ancient languages were translated.

Last edited:
No sweat people, the Lake Of Fire is fictional. One might as well get worked up about the Eye Of Sauron.
Are you a little obsessed with the Lord of the rings? And orifices too, I think. You keep brining both up. I tell you, this is a forum for religion related topics as well as anti-religion related topics.

By returning to the original Hebrew and Greek words for hell and their meaning...pretty simple, really...
The translators need to get on with erasing the word hell from the English translation of the Bible, because the verses are awfully misleading. They already took out the word "begotten" having to admit that it was actually never there.

That it's mentioned in the Bible (— if you feel like sticking to the topic even though you know nothing about it.:lol:)

You're a muslim....tell us about the facts of hell.

I don't believe there's any such thing as hell. Which means you know about as much about it as I do.

So go ahead. Explain Hell. Use your own words.

Revelation 21:8 "But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”"

Revelation 19:20 "And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur."

2 Peter 2:4 "For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them in chains of darkness to be held for judgment;"

Matthew 10:28 "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell."

Matthew 25:41"“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels."

There isn’t any hell. Get over it.

If you're curious do the research, it's called Biblical hermeneutics, anyone can do it theist and atheist alike.

Nope. You brought it up.

Support your claim.

Bullet points are fine.

I say hell doesn't exist. My proof is that there's no proof it does exist. Without proof of existence there's no reason to believe it's true.
Fables, myths, and fear-tactics are not proof.

Define Hell with these so-called facts.

You're a muslim....tell us about the facts of hell.

I don't believe there's any such thing as hell. Which means you know about as much about it as I do.

So go ahead. Explain Hell. Use your own words.
You comment is a bit confusing. But you want to learn something about hell. Okay.
  • the disbelievers will burn in it for eternity
  • there are different levels
  • the one of the "highest" level of hell (least torment) will think he suffers more than anybody else. He will have two live coals at the soles of his feet and his brain will boil because of that.
  • you will neither live nor die
  • the fire will burn our skin but the skin will grow back again to burn again.
  • if you want to drink you will be given to drink something scalding hot
  • hypocrites will be in the lowest level of hell

You comment is a bit confusing. But you want to learn something about hell. Okay.
  • the one of the "highest" level of hell (least torment) will think he suffers more than anybody else. He will have two live coals at the soles of his feet and his brain will boil because of that.

How do you prove that any of that nonsense is remotely true?

As opposed to a fear-tactic to get you to "behave" a specific way.

Nope. You brought it up.

Support your claim.

Bullet points are fine.

I say hell doesn't exist. My proof is that there's no proof it does exist. Without proof of existence there's no reason to believe it's true.
Fables, myths, and fear-tactics are not proof.

Define Hell with these so-called facts.

This is my point, you don't even know what it is that doesn't exist! you don't even know what the word actually means, such sloppiness.

If I said clumintherage exists you couldn't comment because you don't know what the word means and until you do you are completely ignorant, this is the case with the English word "hell" let alone the source terms in Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic.

Last edited:

Whatever......

The translators need to get on with erasing the word hell from the English translation of the Bible, because the verses are awfully misleading. They already took out the word "begotten" having to admit that it was actually never there.

Why would begotten be removed? It simply means one of a kind, which Jesus is...I think it fits...

ONLY-BEGOTTEN
The Greek word mo·no·ge·nesʹ is defined by lexicographers as “single of its kind, only,” or “the only member of a kin or kind.” (Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, 1889, p. 417; Liddell and Scott’s Greek-English Lexicon, Oxford, 1968, p. 1144) The term is used in describing the relation of both sons and daughters to their parents.

The apostle John repeatedly describes the Lord Jesus Christ as the only-begotten Son of God. (Joh 1:14; 3:16, 18; 1Jo 4:9) This is not in reference to his human birth or to him as just the man Jesus. As the Loʹgos, or Word, “this one was in the beginning with God,” even “before the world was.” (Joh 1:1, 2; 17:5, 24) At that time while in his prehuman state of existence, he is described as the “only-begotten Son” whom his Father sent “into the world.”​—1Jo 4:9.

He is described as having “a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father,” the one residing “in the bosom position with the Father.” (Joh 1:14, 18) It is hard to think of a closer, more confidential, or more loving and tender relationship between a father and his son than this.​—See BOSOM POSITION.

The angels of heaven are sons of God even as Adam was a “son of God.” (Ge 6:2; Job 1:6; 38:7; Lu 3:38) But the Loʹgos, later called Jesus, is “the only-begotten Son of God.” (Joh 3:18) He is the only one of his kind, the only one whom God himself created directly without the agency or cooperation of any creature. He is the only one whom God his Father used in bringing into existence all other creatures. He is the firstborn and chief one among all other angels (Col 1:15, 16; Heb 1:5, 6), which angels the Scriptures call “godlike ones” or “gods.” (Ps 8:4, 5) Therefore, according to some of the oldest and best manuscripts, the Lord Jesus Christ is properly described as “the only-begotten god [Gr., mo·no·ge·nesʹ the·osʹ].”​—Joh 1:18, NW, Ro, Sp.

A few translations, in support of the Trinitarian “God the Son” concept, would invert the phrase mo·no·ge·nesʹ the·osʹ and render it as “God only begotten.” But W. J. Hickie in his Greek-English Lexicon to the New Testament (1956, p. 123) says it is hard to see why these translators render mo·no·ge·nesʹ hui·osʹ as “the only begotten Son,” but at the same time translate mo·no·ge·nesʹ the·osʹ as “God only begotten,” instead of “the only begotten God.”

Only-begotten — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

This is my point, you don't even know what it is that doesn't exist! you don't even know what the word actually means, such sloppiness.

If I said clumintherage exists you couldn't comment because you don't know what the word means and until you do you are completely ignorant, this is the case with the English word "hell" let alone the source terms in Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic.

Stop being a condescending jerk.

I know what many people suggest Hell is.
Been hearing about it all my life.

I'm asking you, what are the "facts of Hell" that YOU posted about.

If you can't answer, then perhaps it's you that lacks any kind of formal knowledge of the very thing you posted about.

Stop being a condescending jerk.

I know what many people suggest Hell is.
Been hearing about it all my life.

I'm asking you, what are the "facts of Hell" that YOU posted about.

If you can't answer, then perhaps it's you that lacks any kind of formal knowledge of the very thing you posted about.
I don't think he's being condescending. He sounds quite neutral. You have to be able to hear criticism. :prof

I don't think he's being condescending.

Based on your lack of reading comprehension skills, I'm not shocked you see it that way.

Now go define some of the terms you've been questioned about regarding post #1.

Or, just go...

Why would begotten be removed? It simply means one of a kind, which Jesus is...I think it fits...

Only-begotten — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

Begotten does not mean one of a kind.
1 : to procreate as the father : sire He died without begetting an heir.
2 : to produce especially as an effect or outgrowth Violence only begets more violence.

History and Etymology for beget

Middle English begeten, beyeten, going back to Old English begietan "to get, beget," from be- be- + gietan "to get "

Beget | Definition of Beget by Merriam-Webster

Back
Top Bottom