• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

HOw come nobody listens to American Jazz anymore?

Inuyasha

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I have noticed that this great Americcan music has fallen on hard times. Why is that. What is it that drives most of you qwat feomm this very vibrate expression of America.:usflag2:

You're probably right. That who fusion thing changed the direction of the music and IMO cheapened it. I still listen to a lot of 50s and 60's neo-bop. There are still wonderful experiences and examination of the playing of the great artists of that era like Clifford Brown.

It's not just American jazz.
Jazz musicians are supposed to improvise in a meaningful & creative way, but mostly they just seem to play the same old cliches runs licks & riffs, or they take a tune & make it sound corny by messing up the timing. Plus there are too many Charlie Parker, John Coltrane or Wes Mongomery copies. I've heard it all before. In essence they are just going over the same old ground. Someone said to me Berkley are great at turning out John Coltrane copies !
What's the point?

At least the jazz rock thing in the 70's & 80's did bring some fresh life into the idiom with guitarists like Lary Carlton, the incredible Allan Holdsworth, also bands like Brand X, Chick Corea, Steps Ahead & Bruford & Mahavishnu Orchestra with John Mc Laughlin.

Mostly I've got back into proper composition now... that means JS Bach.. simply the greatest composer.
The distiller of the essence of musical craft.
The most stupendous miracle in all music !

Last edited:
Great post Robin !!!!!!

shuamort said:
If you get the chance, check out The Bad Plus (Click here to check out some of their music for free) and Happy Apple, two locally (for me) grown jazz groups.

"TheBad Plus" is one bad @ss trio They swing much more than most of the new stuff I've heard. I especially like the way that Ethan Iverson exposes his influences. Very very good. There are a lot od amzing musicians in the Twin Cites area. These guys are just great. Thanks for opening the door. I'd love to see them live.

I actually had a renewed interest in Jazz when I started watching Cowboy Bebop. But I prefer punk rock. I do like blues though. Doesn't really matter what it is but its just cool you know?

Dont put me on that list. I love jazz. Everything from John Coltraine to fusion. Really into Hellborg right now. Also like Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Jon Luc Ponty, and especially anything with Jaco Pastorius playing on it. As you can see, my favorites are pretty much fusion, but I like the old bebop too.

Inuyasha said:
Great post Robin !!!!!!
Do you not agree that jazz has become too based on people playing the same old cliches ?

I listen to jazz. Lots of people still do. It's just that isn't the popular music it once was, but there is still a vibrant interest in it, most especially in metropolitan areas. As well as in Europe and Japan.
And as long as we have the hours and hours of hours of recordings that exist of the past masters, who needs modern interpretations? Frankly, I don't have an ear for most modern jazz anyway and I certainly don't have much patience for the "soft jazz" nonsense. I prefer the traditional forms of jazz: dixieland, swing, bebop, cool jazz, even a lot of big band. I have been listening to jazz for about 20 years now and am not even close to hearing all there is to hear. Jazz just is what it is and either it affects you in the gut or it doesn't. It has to need to change or evolve anymore than classical music has. It is a pure form.

robin said:
Do you not agree that jazz has become too based on people playing the same old cliches ?

Yes I think you are on to something here. There is also been a tendency for jazz players to make musical experiments that confound many listeners resulting in a "jazz for musicians only" investigating scales and haronies etc which many listeners find too abstract and less melodic than they are used to.

Back
Top Bottom