• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How close are we to a theocracy.

If Supreme Court judges followed their personal biases and belief systems instead of interpreting the law and adjudicating upon said interpretations accordingly, then the concept of justice would become nonsensical. I don't think the US will see a repeal of any laws that will subject the citizenry to the will of a minority of extremists (that is, those who wish for the SCOTUS to repeal equality legislation and enact some form of Xian dominion). 'Gilead' is not going to become reality owing to the appointment of a few RW/Christian judges.
There are 6 conservative Catholics on the Court right now. Thomas, Barrett, Kavanaugh, Alito, Roberts, and Gorsuch. They all believe that conception results in a human being and that abortion is the killing of that human being and is wrong in the eyes of God and their religion.

Why would you assume that judicial decisions would be rendered based not on the Justices's interpretation of the law but, rather, on their religious beliefs?

What is all the gleeful cheering from the religious right about then if not that the SC will now reflect religious conservative views?

Now that the Supreme Court has a solid majority of conservative Christians what laws in addition to abortion and same sex marriage will change? Public funding of religious schools? Public display of religious symbols on government owned buildings? Reinstatement of sodomy laws? Required prayer in public schools? Teaching of Creationism? Marriage laws? Divorce laws? Tax policy? Repeal of constraints on corporations? Repeal of workers safety laws? Repeal of employee fairness and anti discrimination laws?

Get back to us when the USSC begins turning bills into law.

From your link:

Writing for himself and Alito, Thomas said that the court's decision "enables courts and governments to brand religious adherents who believe that marriage is between one man and one woman as bigots, making their religious liberty concerns that much easier to dismiss."
The Thomas and Alito Hobby Lobby decision has enabled conservatives to brand women as sluts that that want free contraceptives so they can whore around making women's concerns over availability of insurance and women's contraceptives that much easier to dismiss.

What is all the gleeful cheering from the religious right about then if not that the SC will now reflect religious conservative views?

Having been informed in the last day of so that conservatives are supposedly not "right-wingers," I'm not sure who the "religious right" is. Could you provide an example please of the "religious right" cheering explicitly that the Court will now reflect religious conservative views?

The Thomas and Alito Hobby Lobby decision has enabled conservatives to brand women as sluts that that want free contraceptives so they can whore around making women's concerns over availability of insurance and women's contraceptives that much easier to dismiss.

I myself am (mainly) a conservative, and I've never called another woman a "slut" for wanting free contraceptives. Could you provide an example of conservatives saying this? I mean, who are these people?

I'm not sure who the "religious right" is.

This is where you're being blatantly ignorant as an act to sidestep serious issues and pretend to be above it all and aloof as if the concerns of people on religious intrusion into political life isn't real.

Up and down the country you see it plain as day.

Your act is tiring.

This is where you're being blatantly ignorant as an act to sidestep serious issues and pretend to be above it all and aloof as if the concerns of people on religious intrusion into political life isn't real.

Up and down the country you see it plain as day.

Your act is tiring.

So are your personal attacks.

So are your personal attacks.

It's pretty difficult not to address a poster when they pretend that religious intrusion into politics hasn't been going on for oh... I don't know, about almost 40 years now when Reagan fully embraced Born Again Christians and the Religious Portion of the GOP has become more and more extreme as time has gone on.

To pretend that it's some phantom a crazy person is ranting on about is disingenuous at best.

It's pretty difficult not to address a poster when they pretend that religious intrusion into politics hasn't been going on for oh... I don't know, about almost 40 years now when Reagan fully embraced Born Again Christians and the Religious Portion of the GOP has become more and more extreme as time has gone on.

To pretend that it's some phantom a crazy person is ranting on about is disingenuous at best.

It's pretty easy to dismiss someone who pretends that religion in the United States hasn't always played a part in politics.

It's pretty easy to dismiss someone who pretends that religion in the United States hasn't always played a part in politics.
I object when someone's excessive religious beliefs interferes with other people's rights.

There are 6 conservative Catholics on the Court right now. Thomas, Barrett, Kavanaugh, Alito, Roberts, and Gorsuch. They all believe that conception results in a human being and that abortion is the killing of that human being and is wrong in the eyes of God and their religion.

Granted, but that doesn't mean they will put their personal beliefs before interpretation of the law, for that suggests that the SCOTUS is no better than some biased court of the Witchfinder General. Do you believe that?

Granted, but that doesn't mean they will put their personal beliefs before interpretation of the law, for that suggests that the SCOTUS is no better than some biased court of the Witchfinder General. Do you believe that?
Well we will just have to wait and see, won't we.

I myself am (mainly) a conservative, and I've never called another woman a "slut" for wanting free contraceptives. Could you provide an example of conservatives saying this? I mean, who are these people?

You don't read the posts on the Abortion forum?

Back
Top Bottom