• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How can you justify voting for Obama a second time?

Whoppletraps

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
The man stands by nothing, his stimulus package failed, we're still in the middle east, and still in an economic mess. IMO its ridiculous to think he'll do better in a second term.

I'll be voting for whoever runs against him in 2012(hopefully it will be Ron Paul).

Because he is the lesser of two right wing evils..

He's a Democrat and agree with more of the Democratic platform than I do the others. Simple really.

Obama or Santorum....go!

I'm sure people who vote for him the 2nd time will do so for the same reasons people voted for Bush the 2nd time.

his stimulus package failed

Uhh, no it didn't

we're still in the middle east

Which we'd still be there at this point regardless of who became President in 2008

and still in an economic mess.

Because he is hamstrung by a Congress that is completely paralyzed at this point.

I may or may not be voting at all in 2012, but the primary justifications i believe for those who want to vote for Obama again is that 1) The alternatives aren't impressive. Which of the GOP candidates have an ACTUAL plan to revive the economy? Cain's 999 plan simply won't happen, and would have drastic implications if it did. Romney and Huntsman's plans in my estimation aren't enough. And 2) Most Americans, while increasingly satisfied with the President, understand that he doesn't have much room to maneuver and there's really not that much he himself can do to fix the economy with an intransigent Congress.

For a number of reasons:

1. First and foremost, Obama saved our Supreme Court from falling into the hands of right-wing radicals. GWB appointed two right-wing activist judges to the court with an agenda to destroy our Constitution. We saw the first part of it in the Citizen's United case, where the right-wing justices decided that Corporations are people. If Obama had not been elected and had the chance to appoint two moderates to the court, we would have seen the end of a woman's right to choose and we would have seen an effort to curtail civil rights and the 4th Amendment even further.

However, we are not safe. We are still one justice away from being safe. This election is extremely important because if a right-wing Republican gets elected, their first priority will be to destroy the Supreme Court by putting another activist judge on the court.

THAT reason alone is enough to vote for Obama again. We cannot afford to turn our Court over to right-wing radicals.

2. Obama stopped the hemorraghing of jobs the was occuring under GWB and the Republicans. True....the economy is still struggling but it is worlds better than it would have been ....had we stayed on the same failed course.

3. Obama restored honor and integrity to the whitehouse. The previous adminstration led us to the brink of moral bankruptcy. Obama switched court and once again America has regained its moral standing in the world.

4. Its nice to have a President that just doesn't talk tough, but actually gets results. Obama's foreign policy has led to increasing Democracy around the world. Our relationship with our allies has been repaired and thugs like Osama Bin Laden are actually caught and killed....unlike the previous administration that used the opportunity to start a war that had nothing to do with those who attacked us.

Need more?

Last edited:
Uhh, no it didn't

Your're right, the economy is absolutely BOOMING.

Which we'd still be there at this point regardless of who became President in 2008

That wasn't my point, Obama said end he would end the wars and he didn't deliver on that.

Cain's 999 plan simply won't happen, and would have drastic implications if it did. Romney and Huntsman's plans in my estimation aren't enough.

I agree with you on those.

For a number of reasons:

1. First and foremost, Obama saved our Supreme Court from falling into the hands of right-wing radicals. GWB appointed two right-wing activist judges to the court with an agenda to destroy our Constitution. We saw the first part of it in the Citizen's United case, where the right-wing justices decided that Corporations are people. If Obama had not been elected and had the chance to appoint two moderates to the court, we would have seen the end of a woman's right to choose and we would have seen an effort to curtail civil rights and the 4th Amendment even further.

However, we are not safe. We are still one justice away from being safe. This election is extremely important because if a right-wing Republican gets elected, their first priority will be to destroy the Supreme Court by putting another activist judge on the court.

THAT reason alone is enough to vote for Obama again. We cannot afford to turn our Court over to right-wing radicals.
One more Obama appointed activist judge and a bunch of firefighters who should have been promoted would not have received promotions because some jackass appointed by him would declare a test racist just like Sotomeyer tried to.

There are certainly two sides to every coin....

2. Obama stopped the hemorraghing of jobs the was occuring under GWB and the Republicans. True....the economy is still struggling but it is worlds better than it would have been ....had we stayed on the same failed course.
I disagree with this as well.

3. Obama restored honor and integrity to the whitehouse. The previous adminstration led us to the brink of moral bankruptcy. Obama switched court and once again America has regained its moral standing in the world.
Tell that to those who have been killed by the guns our government sold to outlaws under his leadership, which continued to lie and deny knowledge of the incident.

4. Its nice to have a President that just doesn't talk tough, but actually gets results. Obama's foreign policy has led to increasing Democracy around the world. Our relationship with our allies has been repaired and thugs like Osama Bin Laden are actually caught and killed....unlike the previous administration that used the opportunity to start a war that had nothing to do with those who attacked us.
I figured you'd give him credit for something the military did. Any President would have given the go ahead to get Osama.... the MILITARY are the ones who found him, and did the rest of the work. Obama said.. "Uhh.. Okay do it"
God Damn It must take a genius to say that...

Your're right, the economy is absolutely BOOMING.

That wasn't my point, Obama said end he would end the wars and he didn't deliver on that.

I agree with you on those.

Don't forget about "Club Gitmo"

One more Obama appointed activist judge and a bunch of firefighters who should have been promoted would not have received promotions because some jackass appointed by him would declare a test racist just like Sotomeyer tried to.

There are certainly two sides to every coin....

I disagree with this as well.

Tell that to those who have been killed by the guns our government sold to outlaws under his leadership, which continued to lie and deny knowledge of the incident.

I figured you'd give him credit for something the military did. Any President would have given the go ahead to get Osama.... the MILITARY are the ones who found him, and did the rest of the work. Obama said.. "Uhh.. Okay do it"
God Damn It must take a genius to say that...

Uh.....no......it starts with leadership and having a plan. GWB wasn't focused on Osama Bin Laden, so guess what? We didn't find him under Bush's watch.

Having a leader who gets results starts with focused leadership. GWB is what happens when you take your focus off the target and instead manipulate it to promote a different agenda.

Obama put our military focus back on the job at hand, which is what he said that he would do.....and guess what? It got results.

So sorry.....but military performance starts with the commander in chief.

I think the best excuse is mental retardation. :)

I don't think any honest left-winger could justify voting for Obama for a second term. They can rationalize that he is better than the majority of the GOP canidates, but I don't believe that any left winger can justify voting for a President who is more right than Nixon two times in a row.

Lets surprise everyone and vote third party. :3

I don't think any honest left-winger could justify voting for Obama for a second term. They can rationalize that he is better than the majority of the GOP canidates, but I don't believe that any left winger can justify voting for a President who is more right than Nixon two times in a row.

So were supposed to vote for someone even more to the right?

Hmm...Here's a novel idea...don't vote for either repub's or demo's. If nothing else do a friggen write in. We've had what...5? 6? decades at least of "voting for the lesser of evils". It is about time that we started NOT voting for any of the evils period. Lesser or greater.

Hmm...Here's a novel idea...don't vote for either repub's or demo's. If nothing else do a friggen write in. We've had what...5? 6? decades at least of "voting for the lesser of evils". It is about time that we started NOT voting for any of the evils period. Lesser or greater.
I would agree with that if there was a strong movement that would ensure the 3rd party candidate had a fair shot. However, I'm really not willing to risk a Republican in office - I don't think most Democrats are.

The problem with most 3rd party candidates is that they have no experience actually working in the political system, and would have no idea how to get things done. Do you really think Nader would have been effective as president?

I would agree with that if there was a strong movement that would ensure the 3rd party candidate had a fair shot. However, I'm really not willing to risk a Republican in office - I don't think most Democrats are.

It is this mentality that prevents any 3rd party from being elected.

More people will start voting 3rd party if they see others voting for that 3rd party also. But they will never see it if no one ever does because they are more concerned about thwarting the opposite party than they are of actually getting someone worth while in the oval office...or any public office for that matter.

Only if you see the world in two colors: Blue and Red.

The problem with most 3rd party candidates is that they have no experience actually working in the political system, and would have no idea how to get things done. Do you really think Nader would have been effective as president?

Much more effective than either Bush or Gore. Plus, need I remind you about the disaster that the Bush administration was? I don't think a wet ferret could have caused that much damage to America, yet you are using him as an excuse to not vote third party. Seriously?

Last edited:
It is this mentality that prevents any 3rd party from being elected.

More people will start voting 3rd party if they see others voting for that 3rd party also. But they will never see it if no one ever does because they are more concerned about thwarting the opposite party than they are of actually getting someone worth while in the oval office...or any public office for that matter.
I don't think it's the mentality that does it, I think it's the low ability of 3rd parties to gain widespread support. Democrats and Republicans don't get people to vote for them either unless they move their base to vote. It's the same with third parties - they need to find their base and prove their legitimacy.

Back
Top Bottom