• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How can libertarians hate liberals?

ngdawg said:
Hmm. I took both quizzes and came out a left-leaning libertarian....
I'm for legalizing most 'illegal' drugs-think of the tax revenue!! And there'd be jobs- 'what do YOU do?' 'I work for Phillip Morris Marijuana, Quality Control'...:mrgreen:
I don't think government has ANY right to dictate who can marry whom nor do they have any rights to a woman's reproductive choices.
I do think large corporations should pay to play, not be given free rides, that they should be held totally accountable for their environmental and fiscal impacts, but make it harder for them to pick up and move to Costa Rica or somewhere for the cheap labor.
I'm totally for gun control-the laws should be tougher there.
Lawmaking has so gotten out of hand because we have allowed it to. Line-item veto is very needed and bills shouldn't have to go back and forth between houses because some senator didn't get his homestate some new telephone lines (or other bullshit they like to throw in there).
I did find some of the statements on both quizzes to be a bit misleading in that what they ask can't be truly answered as a definitive, but they were interesting nonetheless and it clarified what, if I chose it, label to put on myself(but I do detest labels so)

You are correct, some of the questions are misleading or don't allow obvious answers. BTW are you "totally for gun control-laws" out of a belief that they actually decrease crime or is there some other reason. Most of those who support such laws labour under the mistaken belief that such legislation is an effective crime control tool: however most of those who lead the charge to enact such laws KNOW that crime control is not advanced by such legislation. Rather other motives fuel their actions-motives that they are loathe to discuss publicly

I don't think gun control laws would 'decrease crime' to a truly noticeable extent, but I do think making it harder to own weapons is a step in the right direction. In some states, you can go to a 'gun show' and walk out with a pretty hand-dandy little tool of death :mrgreen: Of course, that may have changed in the last few years, I haven't kept up.
The criminal element will always find a way, unfortunately. But if law enforcement would leave the potheads alone to do their thing and go after the truly criminal, there wouldn't even be a need for gun control changes.
Living outside a major US metropolitan area, the words 'after stalking her for months, he shot her...' and 'he claimed to have found the weapon that killed'.. are in the papers WAY too often-most every day. Kids whip out guns after being dissed at a club on a weekly basis, drivebys and sniper shootings are almost daily.
I certainly don't have any ideas how to make it harder for these tragedies to happen, but they're getting worse year to year...

ngdawg said:
I don't think gun control laws would 'decrease crime' to a truly noticeable extent, but I do think making it harder to own weapons is a step in the right direction. In some states, you can go to a 'gun show' and walk out with a pretty hand-dandy little tool of death :mrgreen: Of course, that may have changed in the last few years, I haven't kept up.
The criminal element will always find a way, unfortunately. But if law enforcement would leave the potheads alone to do their thing and go after the truly criminal, there wouldn't even be a need for gun control changes.
Living outside a major US metropolitan area, the words 'after stalking her for months, he shot her...' and 'he claimed to have found the weapon that killed'.. are in the papers WAY too often-most every day. Kids whip out guns after being dissed at a club on a weekly basis, drivebys and sniper shootings are almost daily.
I certainly don't have any ideas how to make it harder for these tragedies to happen, but they're getting worse year to year...

licensed dealers have always had to sell guns pursuant to the same rules whether at a gun show or in their store. Non dealers are under different rules and those rules are not different in a gun show. Actually very few criminals buy guns at gun shows from non licensed sellers. WHY? because gun shows crawl with cops, ATF agents etc. Many gun sellers are cops btw and if you are a convicted felon, the last place you want to be is in a venue where the guy who might have arrested you sees you trying to buy a gun from a civilian.

actually gun violence has decreased every year for the last decade even though millions upon millions of guns were bought in an effort to beat the clinton gun ban deadlines and in reaction to Y2K and "terrorism"

I agree on the pot thing but its funny to understand how the war on drugs has failed yet advocate the same laws for firearms

Well, no one's been shot with a bong...:mrgreen:
Which is why I think law enforcement is so freakin backwards...
I agree, the criminal element is NOT going to buy what they need at a gun show or even their local Wally World-they steal or deal underhanded. So my view is devote more time to the TRUE criminal element.. hell, if drugs were legalized and taxed like booze and cigarettes, think of how much more manpower could be devoted to the true crimes committed..sad really.

ngdawg said:
I agree, the criminal element is NOT going to buy what they need at a gun show or even their local Wally World-they steal or deal underhanded. So my view is devote more time to the TRUE criminal element.. hell, if drugs were legalized and taxed like booze and cigarettes, think of how much more manpower could be devoted to the true crimes committed..sad really.

can't argue with that statement whatsoever:2wave:

Turtledude said:
what a rude little flamer we have here-you prove everything I said was true. ...
I do enjoy Technocrasy dude's posts. :rofl

ngdawg said:
damn straight dude!

Back
Top Bottom