• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How can Christians assert Absolute Morality?[W:380; W:686]

pinqy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
First off, I don't get the concept of Absolute morality: that something is always wrong regardless of circumstances. And there's even odder idea that this absolute morality is abstract so that it exists irrespective of any other considerations.

But Christianity has a particular problem with absolute morality in that most Christian sects outright reject a large number of moral commands made in the Old Testament. How does that work?

Re: How can Christians assert Absolute Morality?

First off, I don't get the concept of Absolute morality: that something is always wrong regardless of circumstances. And there's even odder idea that this absolute morality is abstract so that it exists irrespective of any other considerations.

But Christianity has a particular problem with absolute morality in that most Christian sects outright reject a large number of moral commands made in the Old Testament. How does that work?

Because the New Testament is the Second Edition.

First off, I don't get the concept of Absolute morality: that something is always wrong regardless of circumstances.

Absolute morality does not negate circumstances affecting it. It simply means that given all the circumstances a moral right vs wrong can be determined objectively.

Because the New Testament is the Second Edition.

Right, because a perfect, all knowing, and all powerful god got things wrong in the first one.

Right, because a perfect, all knowing, and all powerful god got things wrong in the first one.

Surprise!! God didn't write the Bible.

So you have pretty much no Biblical education whatsoever and are trying to act like you do?? Your post is like listening to a 2nd grader trying to explain nuclear physics.

because Christians state that "God is perfect" but then the second edition (New Testament) came along after the first edition (Old Testament) which had some 'errors' ............ and so does the New Testament ............... so much for perfection ...........

Surprise!! God didn't write the Bible.

This is what happens when you use ghost writers.

..and another Biblically uneducated person tries to act like they know something...

FS, you're a commie fascist libertarian democrat conservative anarchist, and I don't like the cut of your jib!!

(Sorry, just trying to bait you to respond, as your post count is 9999, and it's driving my OCD crazy, you're none, or only some, of those things)

What do you mean? Do you understand how the Bible works?

..and another Biblically uneducated person tries to act like they know something...

It's like Star Wars. The new book is the prequel not the sequel. LOL...

Why are you pretending that you know anything about the bible?

I fund it funny how some people think that only so-called biblical scholars can comment on the bible.

I think many religions act like they have a monopoly on the "correct" moral code. Not sure if that is the same as an absolute moral code.

How does the bible work? Don't you just read it like any other book?

Yes, you do. And it has meaning, and context, just like any other book. ;)

Yes, you do. And it has meaning, and context, just like any other book. ;)

So it's really just another book. We all know how books work.

Last edited:

FS, you're a commie fascist libertarian democrat conservative anarchist, and I don't like the cut of your jib!!

(Sorry, just trying to bait you to respond, as your post count is 9999, and it's driving my OCD crazy, you're none, or only some, of those things)

10000.jpg
Is that better?

:mrgreen:

I fund it funny how some people think that only so-called biblical scholars can comment on the bible.

I find it sad when people act like they know the Bible, when they have no clue about it. Would you accept advice from a 1st grader on rebuilding the engine of your Ferrari or would you got to an expert??

How does the bible work? Don't you just read it like any other book?

Study the Bible in it's original languages, using the cultural references of the times when it was written. Without those two pieces, just reading it will lead you to poor conclusions.

Because the Hebrew/OT was written directly to and for God's holy nation, the Israelites...God made a covenant with them alone through Moses...they were given laws to uphold, including animal sacrifices to atone for their sins...the Greek/NT is written to and for Christians...when Jesus came to the earth, he made a new covenant of love with his disciples, which also included gentiles...because of him and his perfect sacrifice, no one...Jew or gentile...is under that old law covenant if they are a follower of Jesus Christ...

Atonement.
In the Hebrew Scriptures, the concept was connected with sacrifices that were made to allow people to approach God and worship him. Under the Mosaic Law, sacrifices were made, particularly on the annual Day of Atonement, in order to effect reconciliation with God despite the sins of individuals and of the whole nation. Those sacrifices pointed to Jesus’ sacrifice, which completely atoned for mankind’s sins once for all time, giving people the opportunity to be reconciled to Jehovah.—Le 5:10; 23:28; Col 1:20; Heb 9:12.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1001061175?q=mosaic+law&p=par

Back
Top Bottom