• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How Bush Betrayed the Reagan Legacy

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Bruce Bartlet, a noted Conservative economist, and author of Impostor : How George W. Bush Bankrupted America and Betrayed the Reagan Legacy, appeared on the Tucker Carlson show, and the interview says a lot about the betrayal of Conservative values under this administration.

Also, in the following snippet, Bartlet makes a compelling argument for gridlock in government.
Well, I look at one of the most recent good old days we had, which was from 1994 to 2000, when we had gridlock. I think perhaps the optimum policy from the point of few of fiscal conservatives like me is a Democrat in the White House and Republican control of Congress. Because neither one can do anything, and we're on automatic pilot and we ended up with surpluses instead of deficits.

Note the theme. Clinton did not give us surpluses, but gridlock did. Clinton was kept honest by the Republican majority in the house. However, once the wrong kind of Republicans gained control of the entire government, this is where the bankrupting of America began. Bush talks a good talk about limiting entitlements, but he has never walked the walk. He hasnt even crawled the crawl on this issue, and as a result, this administration will be leaving a mind numbing amount of debt for future administrations and congresses to deal with.

This is not a bashing of Bush policy that is coming from the left. This is coming from Conservatives, and Bartlet is not alone in his assessment of Bush. You might notice that Carlson agrees with him. So would any other proclaimed Conservative who is really what he says he is.

Article is here.

So what is the solution? There are 2. One is to hope for a Democratic president in 2008, but Republicans maintaining their hold on Congress. This is what Bartlet proposes, that through gridlock, the bleeding will stop, because our government will be unable to screw We the People any more than we are already screwed. It is one way. Another way, and I believe the better one, is for Republicans to purge the party of all the RINO's and put real Conservatives in charge again. Once done, then it will be time to walk back down the road of fiscal responsibility once more. It will take many pairs of shoes to travel that road. The damage has already been done.

Hmmmm....seems to me that at this rate it is going to be hard for the republicans to hold control of the senate, the house, or the presidency. I agree with this mans reasoning that things run best when there really is checks and balances which do not exist at this time. But perhaps thats what the NWO wants. 8 years of crappy republicans then 8 years of crappy democrats....

Cassapolis said:
Hmmmm....seems to me that at this rate it is going to be hard for the republicans to hold control of the senate, the house, or the presidency.
I've been hearing this since 2000.

I agree with this mans reasoning that things run best when there really is checks and balances which do not exist at this time.
You dont understand "checks and balances" then. It doesnt have anything to do with what party controls what.

Goobieman said:
I've been hearing this since 2000.

You dont understand "checks and balances" then. It doesnt have anything to do with what party controls what.

Please educate me then, rather than just telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Cassapolis said:
Please educate me then, rather than just telling me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Although gridlock is not a check and balance mentioned in the Consitution, it is nevertheless an implicit check and balance, because when government is tied up, it is effectively checked from screwing the people.

Back
Top Bottom