• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Bill Clinton Shamed Republicans For Shutting Down Government

head of joaquin

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Obama's catching on. He's naming tea party names. He's showing how the tea party freaks' attack on America is harming individuals.

But he needs to step it up, like Clinton did in shaming the tea party weirdos.

How Bill Clinton Shamed Republicans For Shutting Down The Government In The '90s (VIDEO)

President Bill Clinton's 1996 State of the Union speech may be the moment when Republicans realized that shutting down the government had not been a good idea.

That speech is best remembered for when Clinton declared that the "era of big government is over."

But it was also when Clinton shamed the GOP for the two government shutdowns of 1995 and 1996 that went on for a total of 28 days.

Sitting in the first lady's box for the State of the Union address on Jan. 23 was Richard Dean, a heroic public servant who risked his life to save others during the Oklahoma City bombing. Clinton honored his service, and the entire chamber applauded him.

But then Clinton delivered his kicker: Dean had been furloughed during the government shutdown. His call for Congress to never again shut down the government received loud, boisterous cheers from Democrats, leaving House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) sitting on the podium awkwardly:

"President Clinton ate the Republicans' supper Tuesday night, but House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Sen. Bob Dole wound up with heartburn," wrote Chicago Sun-Times syndicated columnist Carl Rowan two days later.

A Miami Herald editorial on Jan. 29 concluded: "Americans got the message; so did the Republicans who control Congress. The House and Senate on Friday quickly passed a stopgap budget averting a third shutdown. Displaying his enviable talent for crafting victory phrases even in retreat, House Speaker Newt Gingrich dubbed the legislation 'The Balanced Budget Down-Payment Act.'"

And there was no doubt that House Republican Whip Tom DeLay (R-Texas) realized that politically, Clinton had won. According to the 1997 book Mirage by George Hager and Eric Pianin, DeLay had gone home and rewatched the State of the Union speech at 1:30 a.m.

"Tom DeLay screamed at Bill Clinton, fighting the urge to throw something," wrote Hager and Pianin. They said he sat "raging at his television set, calling Clinton a 'lying, disingenuous, smarmy son of a bitch.'"

Years from now, I'm sure we'll here how Ted Cruz went home and frothed at a speech by Obama as the president shamed the GOP into submission.

The only ever shamed by the Clinton Admin was Clinton himself.

OH YES and that was SOOOO effective. Which party had the majority in congress prior to that speech?...and which party MAINTAINED their congressional majority for the next ~11 years?

go on you can say it...:lamo

ANOTHER DISCREDITED PROGRESSIVE MEME...next

not to mention the GOP went on to 'win' the Whitehouse in 2000...shame indeed!

Last edited:
The only ever shamed by the Clinton Admin was Clinton himself.

That's what Delay and Gingrich thought. And that's why they lost. Just like the teabaggers will with Obama. Regrettably for conservatives Americans are smarter then your vapid rhetoric.

OH YES and that was SOOOO effective. Which party had the majority in congress prior to that speech?...and which party MAINTAINED their congressional majority for the next ~11 years?

go on you can say it...:laeemo

ANOTHER DISCREDITED PROGRESSIVE MEME...next

not to mention the GOP went on to 'win' the Whitehouse in 2000...shame indeed!

Man, you're really workin' that meme thing. It's great to see you imitating me. I mean, at least it's marginally better than you're usual posts.

Man, you're really workin' that meme thing. It's great to see you imitating me. I mean, at least it's marginally better than you're usual posts.

I know...see how comical it is!...me imitating you...especially that 'meme' thing...:lamo

Back
Top Bottom