• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How big will this year's deficit be?

The pandemic was due to trumps incompetence and unfortunately for you he will be judged for all of his presidency, not just the parts you want. Trump will not be re-elected.

Again, not entirely true.

The severity of the pandemic was due to a lack of leadership from Trump early on in the crisis (and let's be honest, since the beginning of his Presidency). Trump didn't cause the pandemic, but was the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, and that nation (along with it's economy) was completely overwhelmed.

There are nations who exhibited very competent leadership during this crisis and there are ones who exhibited poor leadership. Our nation is on the poor end of the spectrum.

Not taking their money is a dividend?

dividend: a sum of money paid regularly

Youre saying the govt is paying the rich through a tax cut? Hows that work exactly? I know how it works on the lower end as tax credits make someones liability negative. But Im not sure how lowering someones tax paid from $400,000 to $350,000 is the govt paying them.

Why wouldn't there be more tax revenue in an environment with strong economic growth? The highest income earners got a tax cut and the economy didn't even grow above it's 8.5 year trend. And it did so with deficit growth, which is economic stimulus.

doubled? lol more like quadripled. I won't be surprised if the deficit is at 5 trillion for 2020.

I was perfectly clear in my statement. The deficit increased from $669 billion in FY 2017 to $984 billion for FY 2019. I don't think anyone is ignorant to the fact of ballooning deficits.

Again, not entirely true.

The severity of the pandemic was due to a lack of leadership from Trump early on in the crisis (and let's be honest, since the beginning of his Presidency). Trump didn't cause the pandemic, but was the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, and that nation (along with it's economy) was completely overwhelmed.

There are nations who exhibited very competent leadership during this crisis and there are ones who exhibited poor leadership. Our nation is on the poor end of the spectrum.

The results don't support your claims nor does basic civics and the Constitution. The U.S. results still are lower than the world average which is even distorted by false Chinese numbers. Further Trump's reaction to the pandemic will be judged by the recovery not the misinformed liberal blame game

6/2/2020 Cases Deaths

United States 1870030 107682 5.8% (Infection rate .6% 1870030/328,000,000)

Spain 283849 27118 9.6%

Italy 230555 32955 14.3%

England 267240 37460 14.0%

France 145555 28530 19.6%

Netherlands 45769 5871 12.8%

Canada 92737 7414 8.0%

Germany 181303 8431 4.7%

Belgium 56810 9237 16.3%

Sweden 35088 4220 12.0%

S. Korea 11265 269 2.4%

WORLD 6411023 380880 5.9%

Coronavirus (COVID-19) live map tracker from Microsoft Bing

I was perfectly clear in my statement. The deficit increased from $669 billion in FY 2017 to $984 billion for FY 2019. I don't think anyone is ignorant to the fact of ballooning deficits.

And why would you stop at 2019? You are playing the same game brainwashed trumpettes like the Conman are playing. We still have a president and his name is trump. His presidency didn't end in February. To be unbiased you need to factor in current deficits when judging him.

LOL, what was Hillary's poll numbers in June 2016? You are clueless and offer no reason to vote for Biden, his resume is a disaster as he was part of that corrupt Obama Administration that gave us the worst recovery from a major recession in modern history

Years of public service, multi millionaire public servant and no significant accomplishments that actually benefited the American people. Your Chicago style posts and rhetoric destroy your credibility as results don't matter in your world

LOL, what was Hillary's poll numbers in June 2016? You are clueless and offer no reason to vote for Biden, his resume is a disaster as he was part of that corrupt Obama Administration that gave us the worst recovery from a major recession in modern history

Years of public service, multi millionaire public servant and no significant accomplishments that actually benefited the American people. Your Chicago style posts and rhetoric destroy your credibility as results don't matter in your world

Obama's recovery was one of the best. 20 million jobs added. trump cut 30+ million jobs. those are results you continue to ignore because of blind loyalty to the GOP. Unfortunately for you, voters see trumps failures in the economy and coronvarius handling. You would support trump if evidence came out he was pedophile so your opinion matters to no one on this forum. Hilary's poll numbers were also spot on. They predicted a 2-4% victory and that is what she won the popular vote by.

The point is context matters except to you, how did he double the deficit and what line items did that? Context matters not rhetoric and personal opinions. I gave you context, why is that so hard to understand?

no, you didn't give me context. you tried to spin the fact that trump doubled the deficit into...........something. I corrected you by pointing out that his economy was performing at the same level as obamas until the pandemic hit (which isn't his fault). Every economic metric has been on the same unchanging trend line since 2010. Trumps doubling of the deficit did not change any of those metrics.

no, you didn't give me context. you tried to spin the fact that trump doubled the deficit into...........something. I corrected you by pointing out that his economy was performing at the same level as obamas until the pandemic hit (which isn't his fault). Every economic metric has been on the same unchanging trend line since 2010. Trumps doubling of the deficit did not change any of those metrics.

The pandemic was trumps fault. It would have been short if trump had enacted social distancing earlier instead of calling it a hoax.

The pandemic was trumps fault. It would have been short if trump had enacted social distancing earlier instead of calling it a hoax.
no it wasn't. trump does not have any power or authority to enact "social distancing". Not even Governors have such authority in their own states. Private businesses can mandate people stay a certain distance away, wear masks etc but the govn't has no legal authority to mandate such.

The results don't support your claims nor does basic civics and the Constitution.

:lamo

Your interpretation of the results isn't up for debate. The U.S. wasn't prepared to deal with this pandemic and that responsibility falls on behalf of our leader.

Here is context and oh by the way, doubling the deficit is your claim prove it?

There seems to be a real disconnect when it comes to debt and the results generated from that debt thus showing that all debt isn't equal. What exactly did the American taxpayers get out of the Obama debt??

1. The worst recovery from a major recession in modern history
2. Employment not getting back to pre recession levels until 2014
3. Record numbers of part time for economic reason employment meaning part time jobs thus lower taxpaying jobs
4. 500 billion average annual GDP growth for 8 years(4.0 Trillion GDP growth)
5. 9.3% U-6 Unemployment rate
6. Bail out of the pubic sector and claimed saved jobs which didn't generate the promised new jobs thus new taxpayers from 842 billion dollar shovel ready jobs stimulus

What have we gotten for the Trump debt

1. Strong economic growth, 900 billion average GDP growth 2017-2018-2019(2.7 trillion growth)
2. Employment of 6.6 million jobs created in 3 years vs. 6 million jobs created prior to taking office the last 9 years
3. 6.9% U-6 vs. 9.3% that he inherited
4. 1.4 million fewer part time for economic reason employees than inherited
5. 6% African American unemployment vs. the 8% inherited
6. Record state and local tax revenue due to consumer spending as a result of the tax cuts
7. No massive Gov't stimulus program pre pandemic
ext, refute it

And why would you stop at 2019? You are playing the same game brainwashed trumpettes like the Conman are playing.

Didn't you read the context of the discussion you've chosen to address? Rahl claimed the deficit was doubled pre-pandemic, which is simply not true. Again, i don't think anyone is ignorant of the fact that the deficit is ballooning.

To be unbiased you need to factor in current deficits when judging him.

My statement had nothing to do with passing judgement. When someone makes a false claim, it's important to correct it no matter what side of the isle they represent.

:lamo

Your interpretation of the results isn't up for debate. The U.S. wasn't prepared to deal with this pandemic and that responsibility falls on behalf of our leader.

And why is that, did Obama replenish the 2009 pandemic supplies? You apparently don't understand that first responders are state and local officials backed up by the federal gov't. The time for blame is over, noticed you ignored the current results. Waiting for an explanation as to how having testing supplies was going to stop the spread of the pandemic without mandatory social distancing which is controlled by the states?

And why is that, did Obama replenish the 2009 pandemic supplies?

This fetish you have with Obama isn't healthy.

The time for blame is over, noticed you ignored the current results.

The time for blame isn't over. Trump pretended like there wasn't a problem when strong leadership was needed most. That's on him. His tweets and comments are available for all to see.

Waiting for an explanation as to how having testing supplies was going to stop the spread of the pandemic without mandatory social distancing which is controlled by the states?

Multiple posters across multiple threads have explained this to you. It's not our fault you refuse to adhere to reality.

Furthermore, i don't care to entertain your diatribe, as my original comment wasn't directed towards you.

Not at all. People on the bottom of the ladder don't hold large sums of cash. Being at the bottom of the economic ladder also reduces the likelihood of owning appreciating dollar denominated assets, and so a lack income mobility will continue to plague the most poor segments of our population.

If prices increase, say, 15%, and the individual's income stays the same, then that won't affect people at all? How is that?

This fetish you have with Obama isn't healthy.

The time for blame isn't over. Trump pretended like there wasn't a problem when strong leadership was needed most. That's on him. His tweets and comments are available for all to see.

Multiple posters across multiple threads have explained this to you. It's not our fault you refuse to adhere to reality.

Furthermore, i don't care to entertain your diatribe, as my original comment wasn't directed towards you.

What you post are personal opinions not backed by any data in context and context matters

What party do you believe the pandemic helps? How about the riots? Why is there so much hatred of Trump that the left would pray for gloom and doom?

The general election scenario that Democrats are dreading - POLITICO

Lockdowns seen as worsening riots, in turn hitting businesses even harder: '''It’s a perfect storm''' | Fox News

no it wasn't. trump does not have any power or authority to enact "social distancing". Not even Governors have such authority in their own states. Private businesses can mandate people stay a certain distance away, wear masks etc but the govn't has no legal authority to mandate such.

Trump said only he has the power to to start and end social distancing, so he must accept responsibility for all results due to social distancing.

And why is that, did Obama replenish the 2009 pandemic supplies? You apparently don't understand that first responders are state and local officials backed up by the federal gov't. The time for blame is over, noticed you ignored the current results. Waiting for an explanation as to how having testing supplies was going to stop the spread of the pandemic without mandatory social distancing which is controlled by the states?

So you blame obama and then say time for blame is over.

If prices increase, say, 15%, and the individual's income stays the same, then that won't affect people at all? How is that?

You're conflating two distinct dynamics. One is with respect to inflation and the other is with respect to economic equality.

That's true.
and the likely result of suddenly dumping 3.5 trillion, more or less, into the money supply? Is that going to be a positive thing? I'd like to think so, but then, that does seem like a lot all at once.

Well, you have to consider how much income was lost, and there was a TON of income lost already. Whole segments of the economy shut down for months, and they won't get back to 100% anytime soon. Bank loans that businesses normally take out to operate went down. So we are basically replacing bank debt with govt. debt to keep demand up and people and businesses afloat. And govt. debt is more stable, they never default.

This is actually what a lot of people have been calling for for years - an increase in "debt-free" money. A lot of European governments basically took over payroll for businesses, which supports people and demand. Businesses have fewer expenses to cover to stay alive. They bailed their economies out from the bottom up, which we should have done.

In the end, this leaves us with a residue of govt.-created money. It stabilizes things. Prices won't go up across the board, because nobody is going to go on a spending spree. They are just surviving. And people who are in better shape will pay down debt. In any case, you want demand to go up when we recover, and that requires money in people's pockets.

This is basically debt monetization. And debt monetization isn't the problem that a lot of people envision.

Back
Top Bottom