• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How biased are your favorite media?

The graphics from the OP come into the forum every now and then.

The far right argues just as the far left does on the validity of those graphics, which is sad when you think about it. While the rest of us read from multiple resources and make up our own minds on issues, much to the dislike of those far right and far left lunatics believing everything those questionable sources say.

I have noted the differences for ‘rating’ the same source when comparing two charts presented in the OP.

IMHO, most of the damage done by using a single or very few similarly biased ‘news’ sources is remaining totally unaware of what they decide should (must?) not be covered.

The other thing worth mentioning is ownership of all those sources, we are certainly not talking about as many owners and influencers as there are sources on that graphic.

The idea that Morning Joe (MSNBC) does not lean left is not supported by either OP rating chart.
While Morning Joe has bailed on the R party & identifies as Independent, he's still a compassionate conservatives. Sort of a Lincoln Project R, IMO.

The other thing worth mentioning is ownership of all those sources, we are certainly not talking about as many owners and influencers as there are sources on that graphic.
Agree that News shouldn't be monopolized.

Using a different label does not change reality.
I guess actually watching his show is the only way to know for sure. How do you feel about Steve Schmidt, David Frum & other Lincoln Project mouthpieces?

I guess actually watching his show is the only way to know for sure. How do you feel about Steve Schmidt, David Frum & other Lincoln Project mouthpieces?

I generally share their concerns that Trump was not a conservative (aka traditional republicant) and would damage (split or alter?) the republican ‘brand’. IMHO, Trump is a very narcissistic populist (yet many refer to him as a nationalist) with the attention span of a gnat on crack.

The Lincoln Project’s mission of trying to (re-?)unite the republcants by supporting Biden (simply to dump Trump) is simplistic, but they do not seem to offer much in the way of a viable alternative to Trump. Trump not only had support from much of the republicant base (within the electorate), but prior to COVID-19, had significant ‘independent’ support.

Center is a bias, the don't offend anybody bias. All the news that's fit, etc. The don't dig too deep bias, don't ask the controversial questions bias.

Bias means left or right. Straight down the center means there is no bias.

My media sources are completely unbiased. Yours, on the other hand…

Bias is likely being decided on how the (carefully selected?) material is presented, but ignoring bias by omission (what is not being presented). Many (e.g. the Atlantic) claim that not covering the Hunter Biden laptop content story was not media bias, while it was clearly intentional bias by simple omission. The same exists for coverage (or the lack thereof) of the massive increase in folks (and drugs) crossing the southern border.

Okay, I’m not so sure about that. The center can be timid about gathering news. Of course that’s just my opinion

Okay, I’m not so sure about that. The center can be timid about gathering news. Of course that’s just my opinion

The center is the best at gathering news.

Bias is likely being decided on how the (carefully selected?) material is presented, but ignoring bias by omission (what is not being presented). Many (e.g. the Atlantic) claim that not covering the Hunter Biden laptop content story was not media bias, while it was clearly intentional bias by simple omission. The same exists for coverage (or the lack thereof) of the massive increase in folks (and drugs) crossing the southern border.
Lack thereof?

Lack thereof?

Yes, most media bias is accomplished by simple omission. Perhaps the NYT says it best with their slogan: All the news that’s fit to print. Who, exactly, decides which news (event, topic or issue) is unfit to print or present, thus should be ignored?

Yes, most media bias is accomplished by simple omission. Perhaps the NYT says it best with their slogan: All the news that’s fit to print. Who, exactly, decides which news (event, topic or issue) is unfit to print or present, thus should be ignored?
The Times slogan is twisted in your analysis of it. You know better.

*pictures removed to increase post conciseness.*
Does anything on either of these charts surprise you, regardless of your political affiliation?
I don't have a favorite media, but looking at that chart most of that which I take in hovers around the top middle of the chart, with occasional dips down the left side. Or right side if someone points out an article, although the further down either tends to cause me to apply more criticism if I see something faulty.

I read in a media bias article MSNBC is a lot more liberal than its parent company, NBC. What really influences MSNBC to have a far left bias probably is competing with CNN, which is owned by Turner.

I read in a media bias article MSNBC is a lot more liberal than its parent company, NBC. What really influences MSNBC to have a far left bias probably is competing with CNN, which is owned by Turner.
As I understand it, MSNBC was conceived as an antidote to the GQP’s propaganda channel the Fox News network.

How biased are the bias judges? When you have ABC, NBC, Slate and PBS in the "middle" I have to immediately take the whole chart with a grain of salt.
Agreed. I didn't notice at first, but there are two different charts. The top is the one I had seen before, which is obviously screwy. The one on the bottom seems more reasonable.

How biased are the bias judges? When you have ABC, NBC, Slate and PBS in the "middle" I have to immediately take the whole chart with a grain of salt.

Of those four, only Slate does not belong in the middle. You want to believe all media that tell the truth about politics are as biased to the left as Slate is, like every other conservative voter who watches political news, while Democrats are happy to admit Slate and very similar news sources are far left.

Back
Top Bottom