• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How biased are your favorite media?

People make far too much of the left / right lean as it is rather moot, and not enough the factual integrity. What difference does it make if there is a skewing left or right, as long as the story is factually correct. Does it really matter of WSJ is skews right or is down the center or is Axios is skews left or is down the center? Neither are on the wings and both score high for journalistic integrity.

The Ad Fontes Media Bias chart should be far more about the Y-axis (the journalistic integrity) than the X-axis (the political lean). That also renders the All-Sides chart rather irrelevant as it only deals with lean. The only time the lean becomes an issue is when the source falls into the hyper-partisan category. What is interesting, however, is the the news sources that are closest to the center also tend to have the highest factual/journalistic integrity.
That is my point, I'd rather a factual piece with a lefty (or righty) lean over misinformation, propaganda & outright lies.

Well, this is not my favorite media but this little snippet should rest my case that right wing media is the source of all the hatred we see today between us....

"I really can’t stand it anymore. I used to be able to ignore it, even laugh at how stupid it was, but I just can’t anymore. What leftist Democrats are doing to this country on the issues of race and gender are so disgusting that, honestly, I hate them. I don’t hate them in a “there’s an annoying rock in my shoe” kind of way, I despise them. I hate them in an “I wouldn’t spit on them if they were on fire” kind of way. "

This stuff is toxic. I did not have the stomach to read the comments section, I am sure its filled with similar statements. This is how you take a normal little Russian and turn him into a Ukrainian killing machine.

The first chart is very hard to read. The second chart (arbitrarily?) decided that (only?) the NYT and the WSJ should be ranked separately (and differently) for their news and editorial content’s bias.

Too often media bias is measured (calculated?) based on how a media source chooses to present what it does report, but the majority of media bias is accomplished by simple omission.

Both charts show Fox News as being far right yet only the second shows CNN as being far left. Are they using different (factual?) rating systems or simply expressing different (biased?) opinions?

That is my point, I'd rather a factual piece with a lefty (or righty) lean over misinformation, propaganda & outright lies.

I agree. How biased is simply deciding not to cover (mention?) a subject?

5 or 10 years ago CNN would be right down the center, man have they fallen

You really think so?

I remember back in the early days when we (my friends and I) used to call Fox News and CNN the "Fascist News" and the "Communist News Network."

CNN was pretty much leftist all along, and Fox was on the right. I used to prefer CBS and NBC.

CNN has gotten worse, while FOX seems to be one of the few news agencies that divides its right-leaning "commentary" from its actual news reporting.

Last edited:
I like the WSJ. If I am watching broadcast news, I prefer BBC News or Al Jazeera English.

The first chart is very hard to read. The second chart (arbitrarily?) decided that (only?) the NYT and the WSJ should be ranked separately (and differently) for their news and editorial content’s bias.

The first chart was badly designed, but is supposed to be more accurate. I will see if zooming in with my browser on the Ad Fuentes website will make the it easier to read.

Too often media bias is measured (calculated?) based on how a media source chooses to present what it does report, but the majority of media bias is accomplished by simple omission.

Both charts show Fox News as being far right yet only the second shows CNN as being far left. Are they using different (factual?) rating systems or simply expressing different (biased?) opinions?

Bias occurs in both the omission and the inclusion of facts. See this example on CNN:

GOP Sens. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma voted from the GOP cloakroom because they weren't wearing ties as is required by Senate rules on the floor. Graham was in a quarter zip and a blazer. He stuck his thumb down and receded into the cloakroom to cast a no vote.

The left-center-right classification is dumb.

The first chart has Jimmy Dore's show the furthest Left! Redonkulous.

My favorite media outlets are very biased; that's a good thing. Why would anyone want vanilla analysis? They're also very in-depth relative to most of the slop mentioned, which is much commercialized.

Last edited:
Second chart: Lumping Democracy Now! in the same category as CNN shows what a joke that chart is.

At least the second chart has a couple of good "Left" sources.

Does anything on either of these charts surprise you, regardless of your political affiliation?
The only thing that surprises me about this chart is that it appears to be fairly compiled, at least at first glance.

The last time I saw a chart like this (maybe about a year ago), it was badly out of whack. It listed Fox as highly biased, and CNN and MSNBC only slightly so. That was good for a belly laugh or two.

The only thing that surprises me about this chart is that it appears to be fairly compiled, at least at first glance.

The last time I saw a chart like this (maybe about a year ago), it was badly out of whack. It listed Fox as highly biased, and CNN and MSNBC only slightly so. That was good for a belly laugh or two.

Everyone knows Fox is highly biased - and has been for a long time. Republicans just don't want to admit it, including yourself.

Last edited:
My favorite media outlets are very biased; that's a good thing. Why would anyone want vanilla analysis? They're also very in-depth relative to most of the slop mentioned, which is much commercialized.

Bias often makes stories fake news. The only way to know you are getting real news is stick to the middle/center: Reuters, Associated Press, National Public Radio, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the Wall Street Journal, and directly from the subjects.

Everyone knows Fox is highly biased - and has been for a long time. Republicans just don't want to admit it, including yourself.
Excuse me? I am not denying Fox is biased. My point was they are certainly no more biased than CNN or MSNBC. Now can you admit that?

Bias often makes stories fake news.

Bias has nothing to do with factuality. If you want unbiased news, you want zero opinion, you want no analysis, just very basic facts. You might as well watch cartoons.

The only way to know you are getting real news is stick to the middle/center: Reuters, Associated Press, National Public Radio, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the Wall Street Journal, and directly from the subjects.

You're a middler. If you were a fire captain you'd only turn the hoses on halfway. Humanity is facing multiple crises and you want to compromise or go with people from both dominant parties who want half measures, at best.

Frankly, those sources you mentioned aren't very good.

Sorry, although you seem like a nice person, your position isn't good/strong.

Excuse me? I am not denying Fox is biased. My point was they are certainly no more biased than CNN or MSNBC. Now can you admit that?

CNN and MSNBC never tell stupid lies about their legal ability to report proven facts. What they do is report news. What Fox does is report lies. You have to be blind and deaf to not notice the difference.

View attachment 67384197

View attachment 67384198

Does anything on either of these charts surprise you, regardless of your political affiliation?
You also have to give consideration to the fact that whoever made this chart will also have bias.

One thing I'm wondering about is the rating for The Epoch Times. Maybe they are basing it off of story selection or something? If you read their stuff there is very little editorializing in it. It's very straight foward reporting. I'd put them dead center. The only bias I'm aware they have is bias against China, which is understandable for them, but that's not a left/right bias.

Bias often makes stories fake news. The only way to know you are getting real news is stick to the middle/center: Reuters, Associated Press, National Public Radio, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the Wall Street Journal, and directly from the subjects.
Center is a bias, the don't offend anybody bias. All the news that's fit, etc. The don't dig too deep bias, don't ask the controversial questions bias.

You really think so?

I remember back in the early days when we (my friends and I) used to call Fox News and CNN the "Fascist News" and the "Communist News Network."

CNN was pretty much leftist all along, and Fox was on the right. I used to prefer CBS and NBC.

CNN has gotten worse, while FOX seems to be one of the few news agencies that divides its right-leaning "commentary" from its actual news reporting.
How is that division noted?

I have a subscription to the New York Times and I stick mostly with them as the paper of record. The last time they were objectively, completely and undeniably wrong was concerning the legitimacy of the claims of wmd’s in Iraq. Also, they treated Hillary’s email story as a real scandal. So while I’m not always thrilled with them, their track record is basically top notch.

PV enjoys the confirmation bias of CNN and MSNBC.

One of their most popular shows is morning Joe, the only four hour block on MSNBC is hosted by former R Congressman Joe Scarborough, while a two hour block is hosted by former Dubya aid Nicole Wallace. That's 6 hrs. a day of compassionate conservatism, IMO. Who knows what some others concise themselves. At least one talking head has been canned (Keith Oberman) for making political contributions.

The graphics from the OP come into the forum every now and then.

The far right argues just as the far left does on the validity of those graphics, which is sad when you think about it. While the rest of us read from multiple resources and make up our own minds on issues, much to the dislike of those far right and far left lunatics believing everything those questionable sources say.

One of their most popular shows is morning Joe, the only four hour block on MSNBC is hosted by former R Congressman Joe Scarborough, while a two hour block is hosted by former Dubya aid Nicole Wallace. That's 6 hrs. a day of compassionate conservatism, IMO. Who knows what some others concise themselves. At least one talking head has been canned (Keith Oberman) for making political contributions.

The idea that Morning Joe (MSNBC) does not lean left is not supported by either OP rating chart.

The graphics from the OP come into the forum every now and then.

The far right argues just as the far left does on the validity of those graphics, which is sad when you think about it. While the rest of us read from multiple resources and make up our own minds on issues, much to the dislike of those far right and far left lunatics believing everything those questionable sources say.

IMHO, most of the damage done by using a single or very few similarly biased ‘news’ sources is remaining totally unaware of what they decide should (must?) not be covered.

Back
Top Bottom