• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How bad a president was Donald Trump?

Hmm... that seems to ignore the fact that Hillary was deemed so bad of an alternative that she did not even bother to seek the 2020 DNC POTUS nomination. A more fair comparison would be to wait until Biden has served (at least) one term and then compare Trump to his successor.

Yeah, we are all clearly ignoring the weird comparison to the person who lost the 2016 election and indeed was not elected potus in this article detailing results from a poll about people who have won the presidency and their place in history.

500k dead Americans, a broken economy, and losses in the WH, House, and Senate. Yup, I think we can absolutely place Trump’s presidency in historical context without considering previous secretaries of state. But I’m odd like that.

Chris Cillizza writes, "Donald Trump's presidency is now behind us. But the debate over how bad a president he was has only just begun.

"In 2019, Siena College released its latest rankings, the result of the combined views of 159 presidential scholars who rated each of the presidents on 20 different aspects of the job. (The categories range from "integrity" to "willing to take risks" to "luck.") In those rankings, Trump placed third to last -- behind only James Buchanan and Andrew Johnson.

"The other major recent study of best (and worst) presidents came in 2018 from Brandon Rottinghaus from the University of Houston and Justin S. Vaughn of Boise State University. (Known as the "Presidents & Executive Politics Presidential Greatness Survey," this one polled 170 members of the American Political Science Association.)

"Trump ranked dead last in this survey, trailing Buchanan, William Henry Harrison, Franklin Pierce and Johnson, respectively. Broken out by the relative ideology of the panel, Trump fared little better. Among self-identified conservatives, Trump was ranked as the 40th best president. (Buchanan was conservatives' choice as worst president.) Among moderates and liberals in the survey, Trump was ranked dead last."

Officially, I am a conservative Independent, according to the state of California. True conservatives are not represented by a political party. I was a Republican until Trump drove me out, much like many other conservatives.

It is far too early to decide how history will view the Trump Presidency. However, the experts have given us a clue.

James Buchanan? (Given all he did, rather did not do, in watching the union fall apart.)

yeah, he's in my bottom five, for sure. i'd have to study his administration a little more before making a final decision on that one. it's just hard to imagine a president worse than Punkinhead.

yeah, he's in my bottom five, for sure. i'd have to study his administration a little more before making a final decision on that one. it's just hard to imagine a president worse than Punkinhead.

It would be reasonable to say in the modern era there is no one close to Trump in the worst President category (and even in this era that includes some interesting company.)

Donald Trump is easily the worst US president in my lifetime, and I highly doubt he will escape the criticism and condemnation of History.
I said “worst in my lifetime” too, until his zero tolerance border policy was implemented, and by the time the public was given the facts about what Trump knew of the coronavirus, and when, I was (and will remain) solidly in the “worst president ever” category.

Hmm... that seems to ignore the fact that Hillary was deemed so bad of an alternative that she did not even bother to seek the 2020 DNC POTUS nomination. A more fair comparison would be to wait until Biden has served (at least) one term and then compare Trump to his successor.

I suppose that when the best defense of Donald Trump in a debate about his being the worst of all time is, "Hillary might have been worse!" it goes without saying that Trump is near the bottom of the barrel.

Donald Trump is easily the worst US president in my lifetime, and I highly doubt he will escape the criticism and condemnation of History.
Trumps record speaks for itself. You have to admit Biden is destroying this country. Name one promise he has kept,unifier? Transparancy? Work across the aisle. He is not running this country!

I suppose that when the best defense of Donald Trump in a debate about his being the worst of all time is, "Hillary might have been worse!" it goes without saying that Trump is near the bottom of the barrel.
Why? He did what he said. He was his own man,not a fake,spineless corrupt ass! How can you honestly think he's doing great. First day he put thousands out of work. Border is the worst in 20yrs. Cant blame Trump they were wearing Biden shirts. He is not capable,and you know it.

What I find most interesting is that ~54% vs 38% dynamic has pretty much been there throughout his presidency and now after. We can see that same dynamic with Biden's presidency, but with the approval/disapproval numbers flipped

What I find most interesting is that ~54% vs 38% dynamic has pretty much been there throughout his presidency and now after. We can see that same dynamic with Biden's presidency, but with the approval/disapproval numbers flipped
Are you kidding me? The job of President isn't a popularity contest. Results and strong leadership is what matters.My God grow up!

Are you kidding me? The job of President isn't a popularity contest. Results and strong leadership is what matters.My God grow up!
You're response is very odd. We live in a democracy where, for at least the first term, popularity does very much matter if one wants to be reelected and essentially what one means when one says "results and strong leadership" is that one wishes a politician would prioritize their individual preferences over the preferences of the electorate as a whole given that if a president is enjoying consistent popular support than the perception of "results and strong leadership" is likely in the minds of the public, or at least most of the voting public.

Last edited:
Why? He did what he said. He was his own man,not a fake,spineless corrupt ass! How can you honestly think he's doing great. First day he put thousands out of work. Border is the worst in 20yrs. Cant blame Trump they were wearing Biden shirts. He is not capable,and you know it.
Whatever that means.

She wasn't president, Trump was; and thank goodness he's fading into senile and delusional obscurity.

The only thing keeping him from the bottom right now is that at least he didn't start a civil war. At least, not yet.
Russia as we spe
It would be reasonable to say in the modern era there is no one close to Trump in the worst President category (and even in this era that includes some interesting company.)
Please explain your assertions. I'll wait. I think your scared that Biden will fail miserably and Trump will save the day!

She wasn't president, Trump was; and thank goodness he's fading into senile and delusional obscurity.
How you figure? Seen bumbling drooling Biden? Right!

Please explain your assertions. I'll wait. I think your scared that Biden will fail miserably and Trump will save the day!

I quit taking you seriously with the "Trump will save the day" nonsense.

The last thing we need is Trump returning to fan the flames of White Nationalism to the point of another attack on the Capital.

I quit taking you seriously with the "Trump will save the day" nonsense.

The last thing we need is Trump returning to fan the flames of White Nationalism to the point of another attack on the Capital.
Compared to the domestic terrorism burning looting assaults billions in damage. They called the national guard storm troopers. So they just let it happen!! But attack the elites and they have thousands of guards protectiing their ass!

Chris Cillizza writes, "Donald Trump's presidency is now behind us. But the debate over how bad a president he was has only just begun.

"In 2019, Siena College released its latest rankings, the result of the combined views of 159 presidential scholars who rated each of the presidents on 20 different aspects of the job. (The categories range from "integrity" to "willing to take risks" to "luck.") In those rankings, Trump placed third to last -- behind only James Buchanan and Andrew Johnson.

"The other major recent study of best (and worst) presidents came in 2018 from Brandon Rottinghaus from the University of Houston and Justin S. Vaughn of Boise State University. (Known as the "Presidents & Executive Politics Presidential Greatness Survey," this one polled 170 members of the American Political Science Association.)

"Trump ranked dead last in this survey, trailing Buchanan, William Henry Harrison, Franklin Pierce and Johnson, respectively. Broken out by the relative ideology of the panel, Trump fared little better. Among self-identified conservatives, Trump was ranked as the 40th best president. (Buchanan was conservatives' choice as worst president.) Among moderates and liberals in the survey, Trump was ranked dead last."

Officially, I am a conservative Independent, according to the state of California. True conservatives are not represented by a political party. I was a Republican until Trump drove me out, much like many other conservatives.

It is far too early to decide how history will view the Trump Presidency. However, the experts have given us a clue.

Is it really though? Impeached twice, 500k dead Americans on his watch, enemies like Russia, China, and NK thriving while allies become distrustful of us.

I just don’t think there’s a lot of time needed to assess this. Trump was clearly personally unsuited for the role in every single way, with predictable consequences. His first three years, no huge existential problems.

We saw how he handled the one crisis thrown his way.

Compared to the domestic terrorism burning looting assaults billions in damage. They called the national guard storm troopers. So they just let it happen!! But attack the elites and they have thousands of guards protectiing their ass!

Did you just concede what Trump did, only to compare it to others in forgiveness?

His "legacy" is going to be brutal. Even before CV19, but that esp. will illuminate what a failure as a human being he was, as well as a failure as a POTUS. His true character will be more easily exposed.

Back
Top Bottom