• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How an Electric Truck Factory Became a Lightning Rod in Georgia.

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I had to laugh reading the article. All of a sudden the gop has become concerned about the environment and regulations in their effort to stop progress and jobs in georgia.

It is billed as the largest economic development project in the history of Georgia, an electric vehicle factory that could grow to be five times as large as the Pentagon and produce as many as 400,000 emissions-free trucks a year.

The factory, to be built by the upstart electric automaker Rivian, is being heralded by many as a transformational $5 billion investment that will invigorate the local economy with 7,500 new green jobs and help accelerate the transition away from fossil fuels and toward clean energy.

New green jobs? Electric vehicles? Hell no.

This is how republicans help their base, they convince them to vote against their own best interests.

I had to laugh reading the article. All of a sudden the gop has become concerned about the environment and regulations in their effort to stop progress and jobs in georgia.

It is billed as the largest economic development project in the history of Georgia, an electric vehicle factory that could grow to be five times as large as the Pentagon and produce as many as 400,000 emissions-free trucks a year.

The factory, to be built by the upstart electric automaker Rivian, is being heralded by many as a transformational $5 billion investment that will invigorate the local economy with 7,500 new green jobs and help accelerate the transition away from fossil fuels and toward clean energy.

New green jobs? Electric vehicles? Hell no.

This is how republicans help their base, they convince them to vote against their own best interests.
I'm sure other states would love to have the jobs.

I've been trying to keep up with this story but I keep reading (from the GOP talk) that it's not a good thing.
But, I've never heard from the right wing politicians exactly WHY? Their thoughts just seem to ramble like a pissed-off Walmart customer.

I've been trying to keep up with this story but I keep reading (from the GOP talk) that it's not a good thing.
But, I've never heard from the right wing politicians exactly WHY? Their thoughts just seem to ramble like a pissed-off Walmart customer.
NIMBY syndrome.

It will "change the bucolic nature of the area".

From my understanding of what I've read, the locals are concerned about polluting the groundwater, spoiling the scenery and bringing, gasp, expansion of the area. God forbid.

Among the unanswered questions: How much new traffic can residents expect? How close will the factory get to property lines? How bright will the lighting be? How will the water supply be protected?

About 55% of the proposed factory site is zoned for agricultural and residential use, and the local joint development authority has submitted applications to rezone that acreage for industrial use.

I can’t blame them for being upset…seems the area was zoned agricultural/residential - who wants a gigantic factory dropped down in their neighborhood? Especially if you see that this area really is just farms/houses.

Among the unanswered questions: How much new traffic can residents expect? How close will the factory get to property lines? How bright will the lighting be? How will the water supply be protected?

About 55% of the proposed factory site is zoned for agricultural and residential use, and the local joint development authority has submitted applications to rezone that acreage for industrial use.

I can’t blame them for being upset…seems the area was zoned agricultural/residential - who wants a gigantic factory dropped down in their neighborhood? Especially if you see that this area really is just farms/houses.
Imagine what a factory would do to real estate values - workers need homes, and obviously farmers and such sitting on land in the area have a golden opportunity to 'sell the farm,' and for much much more than it is worth as a corn field. Imagine the influx of money, taxes, and infrastructure.

Imagine what a factory would do to real estate values - workers need homes, and obviously farmers and such sitting on land in the area have a golden opportunity to 'sell the farm,' and for much much more than it is worth as a corn field. Imagine the influx of money, taxes, and infrastructure.
Not my town or state - so I don’t have a “dog in the fight” so to speak.

I can see both sides of the topic and they both have merit.

Back
Top Bottom