• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How Americans responded to the first presidential debate of 2020

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

83% of debate viewers thought the debate was very negative

48% said Joe won

41% said Trump won

69% said the debate made them annoyed

10% said they were entertained

No movement in voter's opinion of the candidates.

Since it's a wash, and Joe's ahead, Joe won.

48% said Joe won

41% said Trump won

CBS and YouGov.

That video doesn't give any sampling numbers...they just claim a nationwide sample. But going by previous YouGov polls, it's safe to say that is a bogus poll.

CBS and YouGov.

That video doesn't give any sampling numbers...they just claim a nationwide sample. But going by previous YouGov polls, it's safe to say that is a bogus poll.

You said the same thing about the CNN poll. Dismissing every poll which says Biden won as bogus seems foolish.

I see Fox news didn't conduct a 'who won' poll. Perhaps they knew what the result would be.

Last edited:
You said the same thing about the CNN poll. Dismissing every poll which says Biden won as bogus seems foolish.
Every time I've rejected a poll, I've supported my judgment with facts from the pollsters, themselves.

In this case, since the pollsters didn't give the necessary facts, I can only go by their past performance. As I said...it's safe to say that this is a bogus poll.

I'll be interested to see how those views change over the next few days. If you watched FOX News, you'd have a very different opinion about what happened. They were pleased as punch. It really is an alternate universe over there.

48% said Joe won

41% said Trump won

Actually, the winner of the debate will not be announced until all of the votes are counted. That puts it at about mid December, 2025.

I'll be interested to see how those views change over the next few days. If you watched FOX News, you'd have a very different opinion about what happened. They were pleased as punch. It really is an alternate universe over there.

Wait a minute! Are you saying that FOX news and CNN had views that were different?

WOW! Now THAT is a headline!

48% said Joe won

41% said Trump won

Yep, a wash. These numbers closely match what people already planned to do nationally, so as I had thought, the debate would not move any needles.

no more debates with out a moderator controlled mic shutoff.

48% said Joe won

41% said Trump won

But the status quo is that Biden was slipping in most of the swing states, a downward trend. That means we're still on that course.

Every time I've rejected a poll, I've supported my judgment with facts from the pollsters, themselves.

In this case, since the pollsters didn't give the necessary facts, I can only go by their past performance. As I said...it's safe to say that this is a bogus poll.

That’s not what you just did. You made a blanket statement, unsupported by any evidence.

I don't think I ever want to meet the 17% of respondents who thought the debate was "positive."

That’s not what you just did. You made a blanket statement, unsupported by any evidence.

The poster rejects Fox News polls as well.

Lets face it: Many Trump voters are in denial that he's in really bad shape. His debate performance only put him in a deeper hole. A recent poll out of South Carolina had Trump up by 1 point! The fact that South Carolina, Texas, Georgia, Missouri and Montana are within Biden's streaking distance is really telling.

All you have to do is look at all the polls I've rejected. Every one of them has been supported by evidence...especially the YouGov polls.

The poster rejects Fox News polls as well.

That's right. I do...and I tell you why. I show you the numbers.

Any pollster who samples Dems at almost 50% of the people they sample, as Fox News polls do, is bogus and should be rejected by anyone who wants polls to be accurate.

Lets face it: Many Trump voters are in denial that he's in really bad shape. His debate performance only put him in a deeper hole. A recent poll out of South Carolina had Trump up by 1 point! The fact that South Carolina, Texas, Georgia, Missouri and Montana are within Biden's streaking distance is really telling.

I don't evaluate state polls because I don't have reliable party affiliation numbers for all of the states. However, given the practices of pollsters over sampling Dems and under sampling Independents, I seriously doubt anything I see in state polls.

That's right. I do...and I tell you why. I show you the numbers.

Any pollster who samples Dems at almost 50% of the people they sample, as Fox News polls do, is bogus and should be rejected by anyone who wants polls to be accurate.

I don't evaluate state polls because I don't have reliable party affiliation numbers for all of the states. However, given the practices of pollsters over sampling Dems and under sampling Independents, I seriously doubt anything I see in state polls.

You reject any poll that doesn't show the dear lead ahead. I know your game.

I use the polling data from my analysis from a right-leaning site.

As I have said before, there's a chance Trump could pull off a Truman here. I am simply pointing out that the ship is sinking.

Did they poll all 75 people who were there?

Why do you have to be there at the debate to have an opinion of what went down?

CBS and CNN conducted polling among people who watched the debate and they said that Biden won the debate or at least won by default. That's been the consensus view. I am not saying Trump cannot rebound, but things need to dramatically change for him, if he wants to keep up with Biden.

You reject any poll that doesn't show the dear lead ahead. I know your game.

This is a lie.

I use the polling data from my analysis from a right-leaning site.

As I have said before, there's a chance Trump could pull off a Truman here. I am simply pointing out that the ship is sinking.
Cool. You do what you want.

Why should I care?

Right. I don't see anything going wrong with that. :rolleyes:

I don't. There's a moderator there for a reason, and he or she needs the necessary tools to maintain order.

This is a lie.

Cool. You do what you want.

Why should I care?

By all means, list me polling sources you feel represents the pulse of the country. Republicans and Democrats traditionally use these sources for determining who gets onto their debate stage:

CBS
Fox
NBC
ABC
CNN
Reuters
Quinnipiac
Monmouth
Des Moines Register
University of Iowa
University of New Hampshire
New York Times