• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How a French bank captured Haiti

Lafayette

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
HISTORY THAT EVEN THE FRENCH REFUSE TO BELIEVE

From here: How a French bank captured Haiti (more than two centuries ago)

Excerpt;
It helped finance the Eiffel Tower as it drained millions from Haiti. The bank, C.I.C., won’t talk about it, but The Times tracked how much its investors made — and what Haiti lost.

Every sentence of the invitation ended with an inky flourish, a triple loop of calligraphy befitting a night of dinner, dancing and fireworks at Haiti’s national palace.

Debt had smothered the country for more than half a century. Despite ousting its colonial rulers in a war of independence, Haiti had been forced to pay the equivalent of hundreds of millions of dollars to its former French slave masters, a ransom for the freedom it had already won in battle.

But on the night of Sept. 25, 1880, paying off the last of that money finally seemed within reach. No longer would Haiti lurch from one financial crisis to the next, always with a weather eye on the horizon for the return of French warships. The new president, Lysius Salomon, had managed a feat that had eluded the nation since birth.

“The country will soon have a bank,” he told his guests, proposing a toast. Outside, soldiers paraded down streets festooned with enormous flags.

The country is one of the worst of any south of the United States. And yet, as history will tell you, it was literally raped by French banks when it became independent with illicit-debt ...

I wonder what happened to all that Clinton money that supposedly poured into the island.

HAITI AND THE CLINTONS

I wonder what happened to all that Clinton money that supposedly poured into the island.

If you want to know, then go here: US election 2016: What really happened with the Clintons in Haiti?

You are just another Replicant trying to stir-the-shat regarding an ex-Dem PotUS? Because you haven't any notion of the historical truth.

The truth of the matter goes like this (from here):

Replicated mistakes​

Mrs Clinton was Secretary of State and Mr Clinton was UN Special Envoy to Haiti when the January 2010 earthquake struck, killing an estimated 220,000 people.
Some $13.3bn (£10.9bn) was pledged by international donors for Haiti's recovery.

Mr Clinton was appointed co-chairman of the Interim Haiti Recovery Commission (IHRC), along with Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive.

_65273589_haiti_fund_464.gif

The above is what happened to the money.

For the real story about the Clintons in Haiti, start here: Haiti and the failed promise of US aid

Excerpt:

When Bill and Hillary Clinton travelled to the Caribbean nation of Haiti as newlyweds in 1975, they were enchanted. Bill had recently lost a race for Congress back home in Arkansas, but by the time they returned to the US, he had set his mind to running for Arkansas state attorney general, a decision which would put him on the path to the White House. “We have had a deep connection to and with Haiti ever since,” Hillary later said.

Over the next four decades, the Clintons became increasingly involved in Haiti, working to reshape the country in profound ways. As US president in the 1990s, Bill lobbied for sweeping changes to Haiti’s agricultural sector that significantly increased the country’s dependence on American food crops. In 1994, three years after a military coup in Haiti, Bill ordered a US invasion that overthrew the junta and restored the country’s democratically elected president to power. Fifteen years later, Bill was appointed United Nations’ special envoy to Haiti, tasked with helping the country to develop its private sector and invigorate its economy. By 2010, the Clintons were two of Haiti’s largest benefactors. Their personal philanthropic fund, The Clinton Foundation, had 34 projects in the country, focused on things such as creating jobs.

Do show us how the Clintons stole the money ... !

Last edited:
My Point: It was in the 19th century that France manipulated Haiti for the personal profit of some "investors" in Paris, France.

And since then (and post WW2) France has done little to help the country. Until most recently when smallish amounts of private investments have been made in producing goods in the country. Haiti remains among the poorest of countries nonetheless.

From here: The World Bank in Haiti

Does Haiti have a good economy?

Haiti remains the poorest country in the LAC region and among the poorest countries in the world. In 2020, Haiti had a GDP per capita of US$2,925, the lowest in the LAC region and less than a fifth of the LAC average of US$15,092. On the UN's Human Development Index, Haiti ranked 170 out of 189 countries in 2020.

HAITI AND THE CLINTONS

If you want to know, then go here: US election 2016: What really happened with the Clintons in Haiti?

You are just another Replicant trying to stir-the-shat regarding an ex-Dem PotUS? Because you haven't any notion of the historical truth.

The truth of the matter goes like this (from here):

The above is what happened to the money.

For the real story about the Clintons in Haiti, start here: Haiti and the failed promise of US aid

Excerpt:

Do show us how the Clintons stole the money ... !

$9 Billion dollars, had it been invested in local infrastructure in Haiti, would have transformed that half of the island but it didn't.

I doubt you can show me $5 million in improvements, rebuilds, or new construction that benefitted the poorest Haitians.

$9 Billion dollars, had it been invested in local infrastructure in Haiti, would have transformed that half of the island but it didn't.

I doubt you can show me $5 million in improvements, rebuilds, or new construction that benefitted the poorest Haitians.

And I have no intention of doing so.

Haiti is still as it was, which is shameful. Many others have had the will to make their lives better and are doing so.

So be it ...

Back
Top Bottom