• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How a Black Lives Matter Protest Turned Into a Friendly Cookout With Local Cops

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Despite what the news tells us day in and day out, trying to pump up a fictional race-war... Here's what actual thinking people are doing:

A Black Lives Matter demonstration originally planned for Sunday in Wichita, Kansas became a friendly cookout instead, as law enforcement officers sought to bridge the gap between police and the community.

The idea of a cookout came about after activist A.J. Bohannon and other organizers with Black Lives Matter met with Wichita Police Chief Gordon Ramsay, KMUW, a local NPR station, reported. Ramsay suggested the cookout as a way to open communication and build trust between the groups.

The event, called the First Steps Community Cookout, became even more meaningful after news of the killings of police officers in Baton Rouge broke on Sunday morning.

“We can get on the same page and say those things that are in Baton Rouge don’t trickle over into Wichita, Kansas,” Bohannon told KMUW. “My heart goes out to the families, those officers in Baton Rouge, but I think the fact that that did happen makes this event more meaningful. I definitely think this is a start for this community, and I definitely want to keep it going.”​

I don't agree that the race war is fictional --- but I do agree that this is awesome.

Despite what the news tells us day in and day out, trying to pump up a fictional race-war... Here's what actual thinking people are doing:

A Black Lives Matter demonstration originally planned for Sunday in Wichita, Kansas became a friendly cookout instead, as law enforcement officers sought to bridge the gap between police and the community.

The idea of a cookout came about after activist A.J. Bohannon and other organizers with Black Lives Matter met with Wichita Police Chief Gordon Ramsay, KMUW, a local NPR station, reported. Ramsay suggested the cookout as a way to open communication and build trust between the groups.

The event, called the First Steps Community Cookout, became even more meaningful after news of the killings of police officers in Baton Rouge broke on Sunday morning.

“We can get on the same page and say those things that are in Baton Rouge don’t trickle over into Wichita, Kansas,” Bohannon told KMUW. “My heart goes out to the families, those officers in Baton Rouge, but I think the fact that that did happen makes this event more meaningful. I definitely think this is a start for this community, and I definitely want to keep it going.”​

This is amazing. I want to see more stuff like this happen in the future.

Alright Rob, skip to the chase. How many people where killed at this event?

This is how we are going to solve our problems.

If one thing can bring together Americans of every background, its overeating at a cookout.

Alright Rob, skip to the chase. How many people where killed at this event?

Only 2. That's why it was such a success.

What a great story!

Good news! I hope they had roasted corn on the cob (my cookout favorite).

I like grilling summer squash and zucchini after soaking them in black pepper and olive oil.

If one thing can bring together Americans of every background, its overeating at a cookout.
:lamo

We have a saying at my house:

"What brings us together as a family"?

"Steak"! :mrgreen:

I like grilling summer squash and zucchini after soaking them in black pepper and olive oil.

Just got a new grilling basket not long ago. Love it.

Just got a new grilling basket not long ago. Love it.

oooooo.... I've never used that before. Put some mushrooms on a skewer and put them and the zucchini and summer squash slices in a gallon ziploc with a bunch of olive oil and black pepper. Grill that on foil on your grill (foil so they don't fall through). They cook rather quickly. I snack at those while I'm cooking the meat.

oooooo.... I've never used that before. Put some mushrooms on a skewer and put them and the zucchini and summer squash slices in a gallon ziploc with a bunch of olive oil and black pepper. Grill that on foil on your grill (foil so they don't fall through). They cook rather quickly. I snack at those while I'm cooking the meat.

The basket works the same way. Olive oil, seasoning of choice, throw in basket. The advantage of the basket is you can stir the veggies around to get a nice even cook on them. I use it all the time.

The basket works the same way. Olive oil, seasoning of choice, throw in basket. The advantage of the basket is you can stir the veggies around to get a nice even cook on them. I use it all the time.

Sold! No problem with the oil leaking through the holes and making oversized flame issues?

Sold! No problem with the oil leaking through the holes and making oversized flame issues?

Nope. I often use indirect heat on the grill while grilling other items.

Nope. I often use indirect heat on the grill while grilling other items.

I think I need to update my very old hand-me-down grill I have.

This has got to be the best general politics thread EVAR!

I think I need to update my very old hand-me-down grill I have.

This has got to be the best general politics thread EVAR!

I could manage with a setup like this.

custom-brick-bbq-grills.jpg

Huh, if we're supposed to believe that cops are targeting people to kill them based solely on their race, and it's systematic and prevalent, why would anyone from BLM ever show up to anything hosted by police officers?

Huh, if we're supposed to believe that cops are targeting people to kill them based solely on their race, and it's systematic and prevalent, why would anyone from BLM ever show up to anything hosted by police officers?

Because they want to have dialogue with the police? I think perhaps dialogue and open communication about policy is the best, if not the only way to make positive change in a community.

Because they want to have dialogue with the police? I think perhaps dialogue and open communication about policy is the best, if not the only way to make positive change in a community.

I would support dialogue with cops over shooting them, to be sure, but this does run contrary to what we're being repeatedly told is true about cops. Would you go to a party thrown by a group you believe wanted to kill you?

Anyone else catch this? the cookout idea was thought up by "Police Chief Gordon Ramsay"

Almost reads like an onion article

What a great story!

WOW!!!!

Now that's what I've been talking about!!!

You guys have made me so frigging happy tonight. This was just what I needed to get me motivated for the rest of the week, or longer.

Thank you.

We need more of that and less of this...

Back
Top Bottom