• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Houston largely shut down amid rain, flooding

My wife and I just had a long talk. Ever since our house burned down years ago, we have preferred to rent. Not any more. She doesn't want to live in Houston any more, and I can't blame her. Constant floods, Hurricane Ike, Tropical Storm Alison, Hurricane Alicia, Tropical Storm Claudette, we've been through them all. And the stress of living in the city? She doesn't want it any more. She's from a small town. I grew up in a huge city. She just won the argument, though, but it didn't take much to convince me. Every time something like this happens, she becomes a nervous wreck. Starting next week, we are going to be shopping for a house, and will be looking at Trinity, Onalaska, Woodville, and other places at least 120 miles inland from the Gulf Coast, and not close to any major river, or even small creek. And I won't have far to go for some good hunting either. :)

Ah, nothing like the pain in the ass of home ownership. LOL.

Plenty of places to go and still call yourself a Texan. I used to have to spend 3 weeks every year in Dallas working in Server farms.

Hated Dallas. Crowded, land locked and dirty and the occasional Tornado to boot, also air pollution was pretty bad

Austins nice but I couldnt imagine retiring in a College town

Years ago ( in the 70s ) New Braunsfels used to be nice before it turned into Water Park / Toursit trap.

Lake Jacksons nice but youre pretty close to the Coast. Clutes growing finally thanks to Houstons population boom.

288 South of Pearland is growing and so is 45 South of Clear lake.

MAKE IT STOP... Lol !! If youre moving to Texas to find work Pearland is CLOSED. We're not taking anymore applications.

Pearland use to be such a nice quiet place to live. Now Pearland High School is a 6A school and they had to build a new High School towards 288 and its 5A

It could be fun sometimes.

People would often tell me that I didn't have a Texas accent. I assured them it wasn't any other kind of accent, even if it didn't sound like the movies and Dallas.

JR Ewing said:
Gentlemen, it's time to change your underwear.

It is surprising it drains so quick given how flat it is. My wife is from there and there isn't a hill in the whole metro. You got to get almost clean to Huntsville before you get to any.
That is perception, it is very flat, but downtown Houston, is between 40 and 50 feet above sea level.
The local bayou near downtown is almost at sea level, close enough to be effected by the tides.

That is perception, it is very flat, but downtown Houston, is between 40 and 50 feet above sea level.
The local bayou near downtown is almost at sea level, close enough to be effected by the tides.

Actually, there are a few hills. No flooding at all in the Heights.

Actually, there are a few hills. No flooding at all in the Heights.
Yep, much of the Heights is at 80 feet above sea level.
The story I hear is during the summertime the Heights got better breezes,
very important per AC.

Holy crap. Channel 2 News has just said that both the Addicks Reservoir and Barker Reservoir dams are close to collapsing. If either happens, this could turn into a major catastrophe for some neighborhoods in west Houston. A new line of storms has just gone through, but moved quickly. Only a couple more inches of rain. Good for where I live, but not good for those areas that got the 20 inches already.

Last edited:
Holy crap. Channel 2 News has just said that both the Addicks Reservoir and Barker Reservoir dams are close to collapsing. If either happens, this could turn into a major catastrophe for some neighborhoods in west Houston. A new line of storms has just gone through, but moved quickly. Only a couple more inches of rain. Good for where I live, but not good for those areas that got the 20 inches already.
The corp of engineers went and effectively built a new dam inside the old one back in the late 70's.
It took them several years, but they drove down a continuous wall of steel beams.
Still that was 40 years ago.

I cannot find the story but Hwy 6 and other roads back there are underwater.
Back in 79, I think, I personally saw Addicks dam within about 10 feet of the top.

My wife and I just had a long talk. Ever since our house burned down years ago, we have preferred to rent. Not any more. She doesn't want to live in Houston any more, and I can't blame her. Constant floods, Hurricane Ike, Tropical Storm Alison, Hurricane Alicia, Tropical Storm Claudette, we've been through them all. And the stress of living in the city? She doesn't want it any more. She's from a small town. I grew up in a huge city. She just won the argument, though, but it didn't take much to convince me. Every time something like this happens, she becomes a nervous wreck. Starting next week, we are going to be shopping for a house, and will be looking at Trinity, Onalaska, Woodville, and other places at least 120 miles inland from the Gulf Coast, and not close to any major river, or even small creek. And I won't have far to go for some good hunting either. :)

Ah, nothing like the pain in the ass of home ownership. LOL.

?????
Dan, being in Houston I'm sure you know Trinity and Onalaska are on the Trinity river/ Lake Livingston.

(As an aside I was born in Huntsville, grandfather and a couple of uncles worked for the prison system. Some still live in the area. We had a camp house in Riverside on the Trinity long before anyone ever thought about a Lake Livingston. Hunted lots of squirrels and rabbits on the river bottom when I was a kid.)

?????
Dan, being in Houston I'm sure you know Trinity and Onalaska are on the Trinity river/ Lake Livingston.

(As an aside I was born in Huntsville, grandfather and a couple of uncles worked for the prison system. Some still live in the area. We had a camp house in Riverside on the Trinity long before anyone ever thought about a Lake Livingston. Hunted lots of squirrels and rabbits on the river bottom when I was a kid.)
Dam, You must know the Werner Family!

?????

Onalaska is on Lake Livingston, but the lake doesn't go over it's banks. It doesn't flood there. In Trinity, you are OK if you are a few miles from the River. But leaning towards Woodville now. FEMA doesn't even have a flood map for Tyler County. LOL.

Onalaska is on Lake Livingston, but the lake doesn't go over it's banks. It doesn't flood there. In Trinity, you are OK if you are a few miles from the River. But leaning towards Woodville now. FEMA doesn't even have a flood map for Tyler County. LOL.

Yeah, you threw me with not anywhere near rivers or creeks. ;)

Cousin still has a place in Riverside, never had flooding problems.

I camped with the boyscouts just south of Woodville in the 90's, there is a creek there which has flooded.
the lake we were supposed to be on was gone, because a flood had wiped out the dam.
Something I have always done with looking at property, is go and look at the topo maps of the area,
ridges are much better than valleys.

Don't know personally, but know of them. Different circles and all that....:lol:
I grew up fishing in the Carolina cove/creek area, heard all the old stories about Newport,
now under the lake.
I like that area, but have not fished up that way for many years.

Back
Top Bottom