• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Houston largely shut down amid rain, flooding

We still have Creeks that are just now cresting so in some areas its worse than yesterday.

Cypress Creek crested and water is rising higher than yesterday

We still have Creeks that are just now cresting so in some areas its worse than yesterday.

Cypress Creek crested and water is rising higher than yesterday

Yup, if you live near a bayou or a river, you are in deep doo doo today.

b9bc7db27ce4a1a714f7611206e850b9.jpg

Lochness.jpg

Hope the water subsides soon up there.

DFW managed to skirt this for the most part. San Antonio and Austin got the severe storms. Houston got the deluge.

Last spring, DFW got almost 20 inches in a month. Lakes went from seriously low to over their capacity, and it hasn't really dropped since. Another serious rain season could cause some issues up here, too, because there's nowhere to let it go for many lakes.

El Nino fixes many problems, but creates others.

So, I've got to ask this:

"With the deeply fundamental Christianity coursing through many Texan's veins, have you seen any of your neighbors building an Ark"?

That's pretty funny.

Five people dead here, and thousands homeless. But what a good zinger.

That's pretty funny.

Five people dead here, and thousands homeless. But what a good zinger.
Yeah, that comment may now seem a bit callous and insensitive, but at the time of the post the extent of the devastation wasn't known to most of us in the rest of the country.

Us Northern Blue Stater's may kick on you Lone Star guys a bit from time-to-time, but rest assured that in the end we still love you - no matter how misguided you may sometimes appear.

Yeah, that comment may now seem a bit callous and insensitive, but at the time of the post the extent of the devastation wasn't known to most of us in the rest of the country.

Us Northern Blue Stater's may kick on you Lone Star guys a bit from time-to-time, but rest assured that in the end we still love you - no matter how misguided you may sometimes appear.

Fair enough, Chomsky. Sorry for the harsh reply.

Although I reserve the suspicion that many of you Northern Blue Staters don't really know too much about us. I lived over a decade in Europe, and hearing everyone's opinions about Texas was amusing at times.

Flooding in Texas and the wettest winter in recent memory in the Pacific Northwest, but the snowpack in the Southern Sierras is still only about 75% of normal. That's better than the record low snowfall last year, but still far from an end to the drought here.

Maybe we should build an aquaduct from Texas to LA.

The good news is that while it does rain a lot here in Houston, it also drains quick.
It helps to know which alternative routes home have a low possibility of flooding.

Although I reserve the suspicion that many of you Northern Blue Staters don't really know too much about us. I lived over a decade in Europe, and hearing everyone's opinions about Texas was amusing at times.
Not at all vanceen, and no apology warranted!

As the day went on the level of devastation became apparent, and it is pretty appalling.

And don't kid yourself: There's a lot us northerners admire about Texas, and I'm not saying that to patronize. There's something to be said in general about the values of independence, individualism, and self-reliance.

But even as a Castle Doctrine guy I think the gun culture's a bit over the top, and even with me being Catholic I have a hard time relating to heavy-duty born-again Christianity. But I'm sure these are stereotypes of only certain subsets of Texan culture. I would expect Austin to be different in character than Waco, for instance.

I've been to Europe. When I told them I was from Texas, they were in awe of me. They listen to too many tall tales about the Lone Star State, and they believe them all. LOL.

The death toll is now up to 8, and there may be more. Houston has now been declared a disaster area at the State level. Federal declaration will be soon. :(

Last edited:
The good news is that while it does rain a lot here in Houston, it also drains quick.
It helps to know which alternative routes home have a low possibility of flooding.

Yup, and Holmes Road is not one of them. That's on my normal route home. Not for a few days though. I'll have to fight the hordes on US90 and the South Loop. LOL.

Yup, and Holmes Road is not one of them. That's on my normal route home. Not for a few days though. I'll have to fight the hordes on US90 and the South Loop. LOL.
TXDOT never ceases to amaze me, they take a highway, built to stay up out of the water,
and add an underpass or other low spot.

It looks like something is starting around Meyerland, south loop area, hopefully just a small shower.
My area's probably gonna get hit, but it might just be some harsh rain like last time.

My area's probably gonna get hit, but it might just be some harsh rain like last time.
There is some real traffic ugliness going on out there, everyone be safe going home!

TXDOT never ceases to amaze me, they take a highway, built to stay up out of the water,
and add an underpass or other low spot.

Yup, the underpass at Westpark Tollway and the Sam Houston Tollway is a prime example.

My wife just called me. Cullen Blvd is under water again. So I'm going to be working a double shift today, because I can't go home.

^
|
Insert any combination of 4 letter words here. Please help me out. I ran out of words. LOL.

(More money, though, so I should just quit bitching)

My wife just called me. Cullen Blvd is under water again. So I'm going to be working a double shift today, because I can't go home.

^
|
Insert any combination of 4 letter words here. Please help me out. I ran out of words. LOL.

Hang in there man.

^
|

That's terrible. I hope you guys can make it through this safely.

It is surprising it drains so quick given how flat it is. My wife is from there and there isn't a hill in the whole metro. You got to get almost clean to Huntsville before you get to any.

I've been to Europe. When I told them I was from Texas, they were in awe of me. They listen to too many tall tales about the Lone Star State, and they believe them all. LOL.

The death toll is now up to 8, and there may be more. Houston has now been declared a disaster area at the State level. Federal declaration will be soon. :(

It could be fun sometimes.

People would often tell me that I didn't have a Texas accent. I assured them it wasn't any other kind of accent, even if it didn't sound like the movies and Dallas.

My wife and I just had a long talk. Ever since our house burned down years ago, we have preferred to rent. Not any more. She doesn't want to live in Houston any more, and I can't blame her. Constant floods, Hurricane Ike, Tropical Storm Alison, Hurricane Alicia, Tropical Storm Claudette, we've been through them all. And the stress of living in the city? She doesn't want it any more. She's from a small town. I grew up in a huge city. She just won the argument, though, but it didn't take much to convince me. Every time something like this happens, she becomes a nervous wreck. Starting next week, we are going to be shopping for a house, and will be looking at Trinity, Onalaska, Woodville, and other places at least 120 miles inland from the Gulf Coast, and not close to any major river, or even small creek. And I won't have far to go for some good hunting either. :)

Ah, nothing like the pain in the ass of home ownership. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom