• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Houston Economy Heating Up

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Before Katrina hit, housing prices were beginning to crash here in Houston, and the economy was getting lackluster. Now the city has grown by almost a quarter of a million people in just a week. The Astrodome has its own zip code now, its own phone exchange, and is even about to get its own low power FM radio station. Reliant Arena is also packed, and so is the huge George R. Brown Convention Center. Everyone is being processed into other parts of the city, where hopefully, many can make a fresh start.

Each family evacuated is getting $2,000.00 debit cards, and they will all be spending that money as they attempt to get back on their feet. Many are in the process of resettling here in Houston.

The result is a huge heating up of the economy here, which is a huge benefit to the City of Houston. But do we deserve it? Absolutely. Many in Houston have donated and volunteered, and some have even opened up their own homes to evacuees. One young woman even moved back in with her parents, after giving up her apartment to a Louisiana family.

I moved to Houston 30 years ago, and have never regretted that move. I can say so even more today, with emphasis.

Houston has always been a city that has come together during times of crisis. During Tropical Storm Allison, I saw people come together to give each other needed help with my own eyes, so I wasnt the least surprised that Houstonians would answer this new call in a big way.

Houston, you rock. I am proud to live here. And ultimately, Houston deserves every bit of good that comes out of this, not only economically, but especially the world recognition that Houston is a city that does care.

Finally, despite the mediawhores' negative and viscious spin about these Louisianans being looters and lazy, I have no doubt that our newest Houstonians from Louisiana are going to be true assets to our community.

If any of our new Houstonians from New Orleans are reading this right now, welcome to Houston. Glad to have you, and may our heating economy be a blessing to you also. :)

Housing prices were starting to crash in Houston? My wife is from there, it has the cheapest homes of any metro in the entire nation. Kansas City, where we live now, has the second most affordable housing market, and what you can get for 150K in Houston you would easily give nearly 250k to get here. In fact, when we bought our first home up here in April, I remember my wife’s mother was looking at a home down there for the same amount of money we were paying for our home up here, but it had another 1000 square feet in it.

My point being is that if Houston housing prices were crashing, there must be some real deals to be had there now.

I like Houston, I am from Hot Springs, Arkansas originally, so the Houston heat isn’t so bad to me (In the lower and deep south, just about everyone is equally miserable all summer long), but that city has the worst traffic I have ever seen, and it has to be literally one of the most polluted cities in the world.

SouthernDemocrat said:
Housing prices were starting to crash in Houston? My wife is from there, it has the cheapest homes of any metro in the entire nation. Kansas City, where we live now, has the second most affordable housing market, and what you can get for 150K in Houston you would easily give nearly 250k to get here. In fact, when we bought our first home up here in April, I remember my wife’s mother was looking at a home down there for the same amount of money we were paying for our home up here, but it had another 1000 square feet in it.

My point being is that if Houston housing prices were crashing, there must be some real deals to be had there now.

I like Houston, I am from Hot Springs, Arkansas originally, so the Houston heat isn’t so bad to me (In the lower and deep south, just about everyone is equally miserable all summer long), but that city has the worst traffic I have ever seen, and it has to be literally one of the most polluted cities in the world.

Yea, Housing prices had dropped a little in the last 2 months, but the biggest drop was in condo prices. You can buy a condo in the Forum Park area for less than 30k now - Its a decent investment. You can easily cover the note by renting it out, and after all expenses, you have quite a bit of money left over. I imagine that wont be for long, though.

You are right on Houston traffic. Worst driver in the country here. Ironically, the city with the most polite drivers is also in Texas - Dallas.

Pollution? Just dont live in the Pasadena area unless you want to glow in the dark eventually. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom