• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Houston boy, 14, charged with murder in fatal crash after egg prank, police say

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From ABC News

A Houston teenager was charged with murder on Wednesday after he crashed into a woman's truck at an intersection while allegedly being chased by another driver a day prior, police said.

The 14-year-old driver said he was fleeing from a motorist who flashed a semi-automatic weapon at him on Tuesday afternoon when he ran a red light and slammed into 45-year-old Silvia Zavala's Ford F-150 truck, according to police.

Zavala, a mother of two, was pronounced dead at the scene.

COMMENT:-

If convicted, he should be executed - right?

I mean, he was deliberately committing a crime (he didn't have a driver's license) and in the course of committing that crime he committed another (negligent homicide) so that means that he is a vicious criminal and the honest, hard-working, taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for that scofflaw's upkeep for the next 20 years?

Right?

From ABC News

A Houston teenager was charged with murder on Wednesday after he crashed into a woman's truck at an intersection while allegedly being chased by another driver a day prior, police said.

The 14-year-old driver said he was fleeing from a motorist who flashed a semi-automatic weapon at him on Tuesday afternoon when he ran a red light and slammed into 45-year-old Silvia Zavala's Ford F-150 truck, according to police.

I mean, he was deliberately committing a crime (he didn't have a driver's license) and in the course of committing that crime he committed another (negligent homicide) so that means that he is a vicious criminal and the honest, hard-working, taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for that scofflaw's upkeep for the next 20 years?

Right?

What would you have done with him, TU Curmudgeon, were the boy's life in your hands?

Because as I see it, if the boy was genuinely in fear for his life and there was a fellow motorist on the road who flashed a firearm at him and he panicked, I am not sure.

Should Mrs. Zavala be dead today? What about her two kids who lost their mother?

From ABC News

Right?
The story out so far on the local news is that the teens were out egging cars, and hit the wrong car.
Their illegal actions cause someones death.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/...-of-deadly-crash-involving-14-year-old-driver

From ABC News

Right?

Did he own the vehicle he was driving? He will definitely not be convicted of murder. Involuntary manslaughter perhaps. Is he from a political family, or wealthy local family? I believe that the Zavala family should decide what punishment is chosen and carry it out.
/

So many lives destroyed over kids being stupid kids and causing mischief.

I've egged cars I've driven fast I've run red lights I was just lucky it never ended in anyone's death or life.ruined

What would you have done with him, TU Curmudgeon, were the boy's life in your hands?

Because as I see it, if the boy was genuinely in fear for his life and there was a fellow motorist on the road who flashed a firearm at him and he panicked, I am not sure.

Please pay attention to the "sarcasm markers".

BTW, one thing that I found unusual about the news article is that there is no indication of the boy's race/ethnicity so far. If they boy is "non-White" and the dead woman is "White" then it would appear that the police ARE more likely to charge than if the situation were reversed. We'll just have to await further details.

PS - The fellow who is alleged to have been "flashing a firearm" is cooperating with the police. If the man who is alleged to have been "flashing a firearm" was doing so, then I suspect that the boy would NOT be being charged as the police are quite able to figure out that a "fleeing in panic" defence would make the possibility of obtaining a conviction quite remote.

From ABC News

Right?

1) Throwing eggs at passing cars, endangering lives, vandalism

2) didnt have a driver's license (took car without permission...stole?)

3) committed homicide

3 strikes, altho #2 may not be a felony. I dont give a dang, adult jail time for several years during which he will have an opportunity to better himself inside. If it's that much harder to do so, too bad, those seem like reasonable consequences for his actions. It will still be his own decision to better himself or not.

From ABC News

Right?

Meanwhile in Sweden ... The age of criminal responsibility here is 15. So, had the incident happened here, the boy would face some very serious conversations with social workers. Pretty daunting.

Meanwhile in Sweden ... The age of criminal responsibility here is 15. So, had the incident happened here, the boy would face some very serious conversations with social workers. Pretty daunting.

Yeah, and then he'd be in a system where the recidivism rate is 40%..... Instead of one where the... recidivism rate is 77%, and would probably have him reoffending within the next 5 years, indirectly feeding the coffers of the private corporations our government thinks have his best interest in mind.

Lol, the failures of the Swedes in the face of America's perfectly working prison system are obvious.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Its a very sad thing for the woman's family and the kid's family too.

From ABC News

Right?

I'm very surprised that he has been charged with murder. And it's practically certain that he has not been charged with first degree murder, so a death sentence is not in play.

Please pay attention to the "sarcasm markers".

BTW, one thing that I found unusual about the news article is that there is no indication of the boy's race/ethnicity so far. If they boy is "non-White" and the dead woman is "White" then it would appear that the police ARE more likely to charge than if the situation were reversed. We'll just have to await further details.

PS - The fellow who is alleged to have been "flashing a firearm" is cooperating with the police. If the man who is alleged to have been "flashing a firearm" was doing so, then I suspect that the boy would NOT be being charged as the police are quite able to figure out that a "fleeing in panic" defence would make the possibility of obtaining a conviction quite remote.

Being frightened is not an airtight defense against a manslaughter charge. If he was panicked that would mitigate things, but you don't get to drive recklessly because you are scared.

My son knew a kid that was 16 and was speeding and ran a red light and killed the two parents and one sibling of a friend of his. He was placed on a several year probation and had to wear a ankle bracelet. He had to meter with a Probation Officer on a regular basis. When he had about one more year of probation his father helped him buy a very fast high powered motorcycle. Well as you can predict he was speeding and popped a wheelie and a cop saw him. He tried to run and crashed the bike and was arrested. He spent about a year in the county jail. Some people just don't learn.

My son knew a kid that was 16 and was speeding and ran a red light and killed the two parents and one sibling of a friend of his. He was placed on a several year probation and had to wear a ankle bracelet. He had to meter with a Probation Officer on a regular basis. When he had about one more year of probation his father helped him buy a very fast high powered motorcycle. Well as you can predict he was speeding and popped a wheelie and a cop saw him. He tried to run and crashed the bike and was arrested. He spent about a year in the county jail. Some people just don't learn.

Esp. parents.

Being frightened is not an airtight defense against a manslaughter charge. If he was panicked that would mitigate things, but you don't get to drive recklessly because you are scared.

Maybe he will try to run the "Eggfluenza" defence.

I've been riding motorcycles for almost 60 years now (the one that I've been riding for the past 30 years only has a top speed in the neighbourhood of 300 km/h [190 mph]), and your friend's son belongs in the ranks of what I term the "Pre-Dead Motorcycle Riders Club".

We are giving up on 14 year olds...When 26 is the new 18.

Talk about your mixed messages.

SAD

From ABC News

Right?

What happens in Houston should stay in Houston.

Back
Top Bottom