• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Votes to Impose Tariffs on Chinese Goods

Phantom

John Schnatter 2012
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
New York Times said:
WASHINGTON — The House of Representatives sent an unusually confrontational signal to the Chinese leadership on Wednesday, voting overwhelmingly to give the Obama administration expanded authority to impose tariffs on virtually all Chinese imports to the United States.

Full Report: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/business/30currency.html

Something I can support Obama on.

excellent.....

Hopefully this is just a strategic move, to try and get china to stop manipulating their currency. Otherwise this is a very bad idea.

China should be pressured to stop currency manipulation, but blanket tariffs are a bad idea. Hopefully, this gives Obama better leverage when negotiating, but isn't actually ever used. Trade sanctions often resemble nukes in this fashion.

China should be pressured to stop currency manipulation, but blanket tariffs are a bad idea. Hopefully, this gives Obama better leverage when negotiating, but isn't actually ever used. Trade sanctions often resemble nukes in this fashion.

But that won't happen anytime soon. The only real way for China to stop currency manipulation is for US-China decoupling. That's not going to happen.

The House just committed a real blunder here. We need China's debt support more than they need our markets. Obama's going to sign this crackpot bill if it gets to him and he'll be doing America a rather large disservice.

But that won't happen anytime soon. The only real way for China to stop currency manipulation is for US-China decoupling. That's not going to happen.

The House just committed a real blunder here. We need China's debt support more than they need our markets. Obama's going to sign this crackpot bill if it gets to him and he'll be doing America a rather large disservice.

On the plus side, if it does turn into a trade war, at least some people will get educated about how bad tariffs are.

On the plus side, if it does turn into a trade war, at least some people will get educated about how bad tariffs are.

Knowing how dumb some people here are, they won't get it. I can explain how to actually get the Yuan to rise and get Beijing to stop monkeying around, but it's a bit complex. But I'll say this, Beijing would love to stop manipulating its currency.

Knowing how dumb some people here are, they won't get it. I can explain how to actually get the Yuan to rise and get Beijing to stop monkeying around, but it's a bit complex. But I'll say this, Beijing would love to stop manipulating its currency.

I'll admit, that I do know much about manipulation of competing currencies.

What I do know about tariffs, is that when in acted on common used foreign goods, we've basically supported a tax increase on all levels of income for no good reason.

Pretty stupid, if you ask me.

Why does this feel like we are cutting our own limb? Probably because most of our imports are coming from China

Appears you are correct.

FTD - Top Trading Partners

I thought it was Canada.

I reluctantly support this because I don't know the effects this can do with the economy... But I do support the idea of making us less dependent on China....

Uegh. If they stop buying our debt, we're boned.

Wonderful, what a truly bad idea at this time to raise prices for consumers when we are in the worst recession in resent memory. Good job dumb asses.

What's next this is realy a stupid move. When there are very few jobs and more people on food stamps then any time in History is no time to punish consumers with higher priced products and claim you're doing something good.

Last edited:
Wonderful, what a truly bad idea at this time to raise prices for consumers when we are in the worst recession in resent memory. Good job dumb asses.

What's next this is realy a stupid move.

If the tariffs are high enough it will encourage manufacturers to move to the US thus creating more jobs. Are trying to argue that no one made anything in the US before companies found it easy to outsource left and right to china, India and other countries? Are you trying to say that we always imported **** from China in huge quantities?

When there are very few jobs and more people on food stamps then any time in History is no time to punish consumers with higher priced products and claim you're doing something good.

If there are very few jobs and many Americans on are welfare, food stamps, section 8 housing and so on then the last thing Americans need to be doing is spending money on luxuries and other non-essential goods.

What's next this is realy a stupid move. When there are very few jobs and more people on food stamps then any time in History is no time to punish consumers with higher priced products and claim you're doing something good.

First agree evar.

If the tariffs are high enough it will encourage manufacturers to move to the US thus creating more jobs.

It'd have to be one hell of a tariff. And don't forget... there's Vietnam, Malaysia, Central America.

I think there's something we need to get a grasp of. Manufacturing, is no longer a viable western country job. More and more, except in highly skilled, specialized manufacturing, that requires highly advanced machinery and the highly qualified people to operate it, manufacturing simply is no longer a viable industry in 1st world countries anymore.

Well, it could be a ploy to get China to follow suit on Iran? :)

Tim-

It'd have to be one hell of a tariff. And don't forget... there's Vietnam, Malaysia, Central America.

Tariffs on China is just one of the baby steps.

I think there's something we need to get a grasp of. Manufacturing, is no longer a viable western country job.

Isn't that because of disloyal politicians tossing the salad of businesses made it easier to outsource why manufacturing is no longer a viable western county job?

More and more, except in highly skilled, specialized manufacturing, that requires highly advanced machinery and the highly qualified people to operate it, manufacturing simply is no longer a viable industry in 1st world countries anymore.
Unless a job requires someone to be physically here to do it, that job can be outsourced. Even specialized manufacturing that requires highly advanced machinery and highly qualified people to operate it can be outsourced. You do not think China, India or other countries have highly advance technology and qualified people?

What a ****ing horrible idea. Fortunately, it will never pass the Senate or get Obama's signature.

What a ****ing horrible idea. Fortunately, it will never pass the Senate or get Obama's signature.

Well, the bill doesn't actually raise a tarrif. It gives the administration authority to do it. Obama could simply elect not to do so.

Well, the bill doesn't actually raise a tarrif. It gives the administration authority to do it. Obama could simply elect not to do so.
I'm sure he'll pander to Big Labor and do it. Midterms are coming up.

I would like to see some goods imported from other countries too. I've just about had it with affordable cheap Chinese junk. How is it a cost savings when everything breaks so quickly?

If the tariffs are high enough it will encourage manufacturers to move to the US thus creating more jobs. Are trying to argue that no one made anything in the US before companies found it easy to outsource left and right to china, India and other countries? Are you trying to say that we always imported **** from China in huge quantities?

Actually this could cost me my job, sales are already soft and even though I make stuff in America, we import our steel from China.

We just had a price increase, adding another could obliterate what work we did have.

I would like to see some goods imported from other countries too. I've just about had it with affordable cheap Chinese junk. How is it a cost savings when everything breaks so quickly?

I manufacture very expensive "somethings" made with Chinese steel.
Not everything that comes from China is junk.

Back
Top Bottom