• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House votes to defund Planned Parenthood

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptif219

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
The GOP has been busy this week

This is good we should not fund a pro abortion group

House votes to defund Planned Parenthood - David Nather and Kate Nocera - POLITICO.com

The House just approved Rep. Mike Pence’s amendment to cut off funding to Planned Parenthood, checking off a hot-button social issue even as it set up a bigger showdown over defunding the health care law.

The vote was 240-185 with 11 Democrats voting for the amendment, and seven Republicans voting against. One member voted present. A group of Republicans on the floor applauded when the vote hit 218.

Read more: House votes to defund Planned Parenthood - David Nather and Kate Nocera - POLITICO.com

The GOP has been busy this week

This is good we should not fund a pro abortion group

House votes to defund Planned Parenthood - David Nather and Kate Nocera - POLITICO.com

The House just approved Rep. Mike Pence’s amendment to cut off funding to Planned Parenthood, checking off a hot-button social issue even as it set up a bigger showdown over defunding the health care law.

The vote was 240-185 with 11 Democrats voting for the amendment, and seven Republicans voting against. One member voted present. A group of Republicans on the floor applauded when the vote hit 218.

Read more: House votes to defund Planned Parenthood - David Nather and Kate Nocera - POLITICO.com

I can really only say, its about damn time. And the member who voted present...must be taking lessons from the current "anointed one"

Is this an amendment to the bill that also removes funding for abortions in the case of certain types of rape by redefining rape?

Also, after reading the article, I see this is money spent for pelvic exams, breast exams, safer-sex counseling and basic infertility counseling, as abortions (with the exception of cases of "forced rape") cannot be funded by taxpayer dollars. Why vote to defund essential women's health care for those who can't afford it?

Last edited:
Is this an amendment to the bill that also removes funding for abortions in the case of certain types of rape by redefining rape?

Also, after reading the article, I see this is money spent for pelvic exams, breast exams, safer-sex counseling and basic infertility counseling, as abortions (with the exception of cases of "forced rape") cannot be funded by taxpayer dollars. Why vote to defend essential women's health care for those who can't afford it?

1.elective abortion it's not essential, and 2. elective abortion should be outlawed anyway. Forget about the public funding it, the physician should go to prison for doing it and the woman put on a 72hr in-patient observation with followup counseling. Elective abortion, like cutting, is a sign of a deeper problem.

Last edited:
1.elective abortion it's not essential, and 2. elective abortion should be outlawed anyway. Forget about the public funding it, the physician should go to prison for doing it and the woman put on a 72hr in-patient observation with followup counseling. Elective abortion, like cutting, is a sign of a deeper problem.

Really, Jerry?!!! Hmmm... let's see. If I have someone who comes into my office who's presenting problem is self-injury, I will spend my evaluative session determining what type of mood or personality disorder may be causing the problem. 100% of the time I will find something. If I have someone who comes into my office, who's presenting problem is desiring an elective abortion, I will spend my evaluative session determining if there is something else going on. Sometimes I will find something... and sometimes I will NOT. Wanting an elective abortion is not a sign or symptom of a mental disorder.

Ah okay, so then it is.

It's trying to cut funding for women who were drugged by their rapist, are mentally handicapped or are victims of statutory rape. Got it.

So then according to this bill a 13 year old mentally handicapped girl who is drugged by an older man and raped must carry his child to term.

I see no moral issues here.

I love that term "pro-abortion".

An inherently negative title to give the other side so you can feel better about yours.

As if you see in your head a group of people conspiring together, seething at the teeth to kill the unborn with evil grins and celebratory hats saying "thank god for unborn fetuses".

Yes "pro-abortion".

I love that term "pro-abortion".

An inherently negative title to give the other side so you can feel better about yours.

As if you see in your head a group of people conspiring together, seething at the teeth to kill the unborn with evil grins and celebratory hats saying "thank god for unborn fetuses".

Yes "pro-abortion".

It's a weak debate tactic... altering definitions of terms like that. Unfortunately, it's what some folks seem to need to do. Just start calling the other side "anti-choice" when they do that, if it bugs you.

What the heck are you bitching about - you kill for a living, too. :shrug: Just like my husband does. Where's that defunding measure?
(^ that's all that I was directing to you from this post)

If it wasn't for planned parenthood's more affordable birth control pills and so on I'd have a lot more than 4 kids right now - and NO I never had an abortion. I was pregnant 4 times and have 4 children - an thankfully no more than that.

How this country can claim to support women's rights and then turn around and be against them is a bunch of bull****. What - do rights CHANGE somehow? When does that ever make sense?

I don't support planned parenthood's abortion plans, though - I don't believe they should offer it. Would people be bothered by them if they ended the abortion-option being offered through their system?

If they agreed not to encourage, support or connect patients with abortions and only offered birth-control would everyone who hates them (just for now) support them again?

I have a sense that from some people the answer is 'no' - I've met some pretty stupid ****ing people and there are a lot who wholeheartedly oppose ANY kind of birth control. . . and if they can't end ALL birth control they'll slowly pick away at it (and no - by this statement I'm not referring to abortion as birth control . . .I'm referring to various BC pills, condoms, diaphragms and so on). In this area our country has some seriously stupid ****in concepts of what's an appropriate reproductive right - things such as the diaphragm use to be illegal . . . what sense is that?

/rant off.

Last edited:
What the heck are you bitching about - you kill for a living, too. :shrug: Just like my husband does. Where's that defunding measure?
(^ that's all that I was directing to you from this post)

National defense is essential, elective abortion is not.

Essential to what precisely? I'm not claiming you're wrong, but a vague response like that is... well, a bit vague.

Essential to what precisely? I'm not claiming you're wrong, but a vague response like that is... well, a bit vague.

You're seriously asking me why national defense is essential to a country? Seriously?

I have a sense that from some people the answer is 'no' - I've met some pretty stupid ****ing people and there are a lot who wholeheartedly oppose ANY kind of birth control. . . and if they can't end ALL birth control they'll slowly pick away at it (and no - by this statement I'm not referring to abortion as birth control . . .I'm referring to various BC pills, condoms, diaphragms and so on). In this area our country has some seriously stupid ****in concepts of what's an appropriate reproductive right - things such as the diaphragm use to be illegal . . . what sense is that?

/rant off.

Just a little tangent, but whenever I see the condoms locked up behind a counter at a store, I think lesser of the area.It just seems counterproductive.

I'm asking essential in what way. Only if you define what it is essential to can one actually objectively determine whether or not abortion is also essential in that context.

Again, I'm not telling you you're wrong, just asking for clarification.

If you mean essential to the well-being of our country as a whole, it could be possible to argue with that. Where does economic equality and quality of life enter into that equation? The existence of elective abortion certainly has an impact on those aspects of american life. Essential? Possibly not, but certainly a major factor.

Also, by what definition of abortion are you going by? Just abortion no matter the circumstances? Or is abortion only permissible in cases of "forced rape" or danger to the mother? Or rape in general?

I'm pretty sure the words I used were "a deeper problem".
Same ****ing thing, jerk.

Planned Parenthood does a hell of a lot more than abortion. They've been a blessing to my fiancée and I because of their women's health services. Services they may not be able to provide anymore or services that may become too expensive. But no, **** people who actually need the help. **** people who cant afford health insurance and have to rely on places like this. **** them because they aren't you!

I'm asking essential in what way.

The country will die without it.

Where does economic equality and quality of life enter into that equation?

Nature arbores equality. In every ecosystem there are the mega predators, bottom feeders, and everything in between.

The existence of elective abortion certainly has an impact on those aspects of american life. Essential? Possibly not, but certainly a major factor.

Aunt Spiker asked for the location of the anti-planned-parenthood like defunding measure for national defense as both institutions kill for a living. National defense does not get such a measure because, as I said, national defense is essential, elective abortion is not.

Same ****ing thing, jerk.

In this case, the "deeper problem" is economic, as according to Guttmacher Institute, 69% of women who seek an abortion are near or below the federal poverty level. Such financial problems come form earning power, ability, bad spending habits, extenuating expense, debt, or similar. A woman seeking an abortion typically does so because of pre-existing problems.

Planned Parenthood does a hell of a lot more than abortion. They've been a blessing to my fiancée and I because of their women's health services. Services they may not be able to provide anymore or services that may become too expensive. But no, **** people who actually need the help. **** people who cant afford health insurance and have to rely on places like this. **** them because they aren't you!

I'm sure Hitler had his days, too.......

Also, by what definition of abortion are you going by? Just abortion no matter the circumstances? Or is abortion only permissible in cases of "forced rape" or danger to the mother? Or rape in general?

I'm pretty sure I said "elective abortion", did I not?

Yes, I did, here's the quote:

...and again:
Aunt Spiker asked for the location of the anti-planned-parenthood like defunding measure for national defense as both institutions kill for a living. National defense does not get such a measure because, as I said, national defense is essential, elective abortion is not.

Last edited:
In this case, the "deeper problem" is economic, as according to Guttmacher Institute, 69% of women who seek an abortion are near or below the federal poverty level. Such financial problems come form earning power, ability, bad spending habits, extenuating expense, debt, or similar. A woman seeking an abortion typically does so because of pre-existing problems.
So the solution is to de-fund programs that help combat the problems that create the situation you're against? Does that seem bass-ackwards to anyone else?

I'm sure Hitler had his days, too.......
Cute, real cute. It's easy to **** things up for other people, it's a lot harder to own up to it.

The thing about abortion is so many woman use it for birth control. Is this ok too? Women who choose not to use "planned parenthood" for their contraceptives but only in the taking care of their problem. Why should tax dollars be paying for this? If there are so many people who defend planned parenthood and its "great deeds" then let those people fund it. It shouldn't be the responsibility of everyone in the US to give a little of their paycheck to the federal gov't to fund something that kills unborn children. Not everyone abortion is a rape case so I dont fall for the sob story.

The thing about abortion is so many woman use it for birth control.
Can you substantiate that this is the case? Im sure there are women who use it this way, but I'd like to see proof that there are "so many".

Is this ok too? Women who choose not to use "planned parenthood" for their contraceptives but only in the taking care of their problem. Why should tax dollars be paying for this?
Because you BENEFIT from it.

If there are so many people who defend planned parenthood and its "great deeds" then let those people fund it. It shouldn't be the responsibility of everyone in the US to give a little of their paycheck to the federal gov't to fund something that kills unborn children. Not everyone abortion is a rape case so I dont fall for the sob story.
You dont have to. It's none of your business what their story is, rape or not.

Should I be able to demand details of where you go because you drive on roads my taxes pay for? Should I be able to demand access to your house because it's protected by police that my taxes pay for?

So the solution is to de-fund programs that help combat the problems that create the situation you're against? Does that seem bass-ackwards to anyone else?

Cute, real cute. It's easy to **** things up for other people, it's a lot harder to own up to it.

Oh, well please let me own up to it.

I am overwhelmingly proud of both my personal efforts and the efforts of the greater political body to "**** things up" for people associated with Planned Parenthood in any respect.

Providing elective abortion blots out any and every good thing Planned Parenthood may have ever don. You can receive contraception and counseling from any number of other institutions which do not offer elective abortion. Planned Parenthood and all successors and sister organizations need to be shut down forever.

The country will die without it.

Alright, still a bit abstract but I understand what you mean by that.

Nature arbores equality. In every ecosystem there are the mega predators, bottom feeders, and everything in between.

This argument doesn't really work. I could use the same one for the justification of rape, murder, incest, cannibalism, the list goes on. It happens in nature, therefore it is okay is pretty clearly flawed.

I'm currently spacing on the philosopher's name, but he theorized that cruelty is the natural result of inequality and the only way to solve it is with equality. Essentially, cruelty is a direct product of often institutionalized inequality. This can be seen in cases such as the holocaust, the oppression of women and ethnic minorities, etc.

Even if true equality is an unobtainable goal, isn't the eradication of cruelty a noble idea that one should strive for?

I'm pretty sure I said "elective abortion", did I not?:

Alright, so any abortion that is not necessary to the physical well-being of the mother.

So, I ask you again, you believe that an underage rape-victim should be forced to carry her child to term?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom