• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House to vote on cutting funds for NPR...

dontworrybehappy

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
"Make no mistake, it is not the role of government to tell news organizations how to operate. What is avoidable, however, is providing taxpayer funds to news organizations that promote a partisan point of view," they said.

Read more: Proposal to Defund NPR Wins GOP Anti-Government Spending Contest - FoxNews.com

Proposal to Defund NPR Wins GOP Anti-Government Spending Contest - FoxNews.com

Wow, the people are speaking out, you mean to tell me that taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill for a liberal radio station? Sounds good to me.

There are no conservative taxpayer funded radio stations out there, so there is no place to make an equivalent cut on the other side so this definitely looks like a good move.

Mods, if there is a dupe post on this somewhere, or I put this in the wrong place, let me know. I was torn between bias in the media and general politics. It's kinda.....both.

Last edited:
Good. They should defund them. The government isn't supposed to be in the business of funding media outlets.

I agree. We don't fund them 100%, even if just a handful of percents lol, it's wrong. Taxpayer money shouldn't fund anything like that. That's not why I pay taxes, thanks.

results of vote
239 - 171

motion to defund failed.

I guess we'll have to try again in January.

I don't get it...

why is this a partisan issue? One would think democrats no problems with this, as it is the media and the government should keep their hands off it, whether it's through passing legislation or just an issue of money.

I guess we'll have to try again in January.

I suspect we will see lots of things starting in January. The House will make a freak show at a circus look like a Sunday church picnic.
It should be loads of fun.

I don't get it...

why is this a partisan issue? One would think democrats no problems with this, as it is the media and the government should keep their hands off it, whether it's through passing legislation or just an issue of money.

The NPR is more liberal and favors the Democrats, this is why I think they voted to keep it. I think the government shouldn't subsidize things like the NPR or Amtrak.

No it's not.

The NPR is more liberal and very PC. This can be seen with the firing of Juan Williams. Why else would the vote have been extremely partisan. Also, why should the government be funding a radio station?

Thank God it died. NPR is the only good major US news outlet.

edit: (some of the letter named network news might be alright)

The NPR is more liberal and very PC. This can be seen with the firing of Juan Williams. Why else would the vote have been extremely partisan. Also, why should the government be funding a radio station?

The Juan Williams issue is a non-issue and very easily explained. "more liberal" in comparison to whom? Fox News? Obviously in that case I would agree, and do realize that ultra-conservative whiners are going to complain about its "liberal bias". That being said, I fully support public defunding of NPR. It gets such a small percentage of its funding from the government that it's more harm than it's worth.

I suspect we will see lots of things starting in January. The House will make a freak show at a circus look like a Sunday church picnic.
It should be loads of fun.

I thought that is what the dems and Obama did the last 2 years

Reactions: mpg
Apparently only 6% of NPR's income comes from the government...

...:shrug:

I thought that is what the dems and Obama did the last 2 years

In the words of the great Jimmy Durante.... "you ain't seen nuthin' yet!"

This issue is just scraps on the floor, in the total amount of government spending and borrowing its so small it could almost be an accounting error.
In other words if the federal budget was your own personal checking account, NPR funding by percentage would be worth a fraction of a penny.

This issue is just scraps on the floor, in the total amount of government spending and borrowing its so small it could almost be an accounting error.
In other words if the federal budget was your own personal checking account, NPR funding by percentage would be worth a fraction of a penny.

Oh Wiseone... why do you confuse us with facts like these? This is obviously about payback against an enemy that you don't like because they do not worship before the same altar as some do. Facts and actual dollars have precious little to do with this issue.

If we defunded all the programs we do not need, or the public should not be forced to pay for, that would make a dent in the deficit.

Have none of you ever heard the phrase 'it all adds up'???

The NPR is more liberal and favors the Democrats, this is why I think they voted to keep it. I think the government shouldn't subsidize things like the NPR or Amtrak.

I disagree with your first assertion. NPR is actually one of the few bastions left of good journalism. Perhaps that seems liberal. Even the Diane Rheim show (she's certainly liberal) has guests like Tony Blankley on nearly every week where differing viewpoints are discussed and not insulted or shouted down. And disagreement is predominantly handled with respect (which is very hard to find these days).

The breaking of Juan Williams' contract was due to the fact that his comments on Fox News threaten what was his role at NPR which was non-partisan news analysis. Mara Liasson still works for both NPR and Fox News because in both roles she is a neutral news analyst.

Now - this doesn't address the government funding issue, however. My only problem with it being the "first" thing on the agenda is that it would save Americans approximately $.08 each on an annual basis and does nothing to address any real fiscal issues.

On your second assertion - Amtrak - I think it's a mess. However, our whole DOT is a mess. We subsidize roadways in a ridiculous fashion but ask nearly every other form of transportation to pay for its self. My biggest problem with that is that driving is the least efficient form of transportation. Hell, you live in Nashville - so you have to know how horrible the traffic is here. And yet, despite being a growing city, we have nothing resembling an efficient public transportation system. The cost of the Iraq War alone could've built full light-rail systems in the 25 largest US cities that don't currently have them. Nearly every other nation leads us in non-driving ground transportation systems and we're about to be passed by China. Air travel is fine if you want to get from New York to LA, but it's silly and wasteful that it's the predominant form of travel from say, Indianapolis to Chicago or New York to Boston.

I disagree with your first assertion. NPR is actually one of the few bastions left of good journalism. Perhaps that seems liberal. Even the Diane Rheim show (she's certainly liberal) has guests like Tony Blankley on nearly every week where differing viewpoints are discussed and not insulted or shouted down. And disagreement is predominantly handled with respect (which is very hard to find these days).

The breaking of Juan Williams' contract was due to the fact that his comments on Fox News threaten what was his role at NPR which was non-partisan news analysis. Mara Liasson still works for both NPR and Fox News because in both roles she is a neutral news analyst.

Now - this doesn't address the government funding issue, however. My only problem with it being the "first" thing on the agenda is that it would save Americans approximately $.08 each on an annual basis and does nothing to address any real fiscal issues.

On your second assertion - Amtrak - I think it's a mess. However, our whole DOT is a mess. We subsidize roadways in a ridiculous fashion but ask nearly every other form of transportation to pay for its self. My biggest problem with that is that driving is the least efficient form of transportation. Hell, you live in Nashville - so you have to know how horrible the traffic is here. And yet, despite being a growing city, we have nothing resembling an efficient public transportation system. The cost of the Iraq War alone could've built full light-rail systems in the 25 largest US cities that don't currently have them. Nearly every other nation leads us in non-driving ground transportation systems and we're about to be passed by China. Air travel is fine if you want to get from New York to LA, but it's silly and wasteful that it's the predominant form of travel from say, Indianapolis to Chicago or New York to Boston.

LOL, give me one good reason why the federal government should fund a media outlet. Hint, there aren't any.

And NPR is way left. Give me an 'effin break.

If we defunded all the programs we do not need, or the public should not be forced to pay for, that would make a dent in the deficit.

Have none of you ever heard the phrase 'it all adds up'???

And nothing adds up to more than the proposed tax cuts for the most wealthy Americans. Where is your concern for those massive dollars?

The idea that NPR is liberally biased is just so ****ing dumb. Jesus Christ, what is wrong with the right wing?
One of their biggest shows is a couple guys who make jokes while helping you diagnose car troubles.

Can anyone name another instance of "being liberal" beyond Juan Williams' firing? Off the top of their heads, I mean, no googling. Ask yourself that honestly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom