• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House to vote on cutting funds for NPR...

Anyone's opinion whether something is liberal, conservative or middle of the road is dependent on where they sit on the political spectrum. If you sit on the far right, then everything is to the left and vice versa. Your opinion is just one of many,,,

No, Pete, I've told you this before. There's a spectrum. Intelligent, intellectually-honest people can dispassionately gague where they (NPR or whoever else) fall within it, detached from their own views. If YOU cannot, it doesn't mean the rest of us can't.

NPR can survive on its own, and as such, there is no need for government funding.

Reactions: mpg
Gee whiz Who - I have heard noted conservative P.J. O'Rourke many times on various NPR shows criticizing liberals and Dems including the very Terry Gross FRESH AIR show you criticize.

I guess by your standards that makes it a conservative biased show?

If all someone does is bash liberals, they are biased. If all someone does is bash conservatives, they are biased.

How difficult a concept is that?

News is at the top of the hour.

I'm listening Thanks. I think they said they will be talking about Commies this hour.:lamo
I bet Glenn Becks name comes up.;)

Government-sponsored news.

Need I say more? Nothing against NPR, but I don't trust any government that sponsors or runs a central news station. Leave journalism for the private sector!

If we defunded all the programs we do not need, or the public should not be forced to pay for, that would make a dent in the deficit.

Have none of you ever heard the phrase 'it all adds up'???

Very true, if you looked at all the government spending you'd probably find a million small things you think are pointless and therefore a waste. However since DoD Spending, social security, medicare/medicad, put us in a deficit already by themselves the obvious place to start is the big spenders.

AND like I said before the total amount would be fractions of a penny in your personal bank account, so if you're looking to save trillions of dollars do you really want to start with the fractions?

No, Pete, I've told you this before. There's a spectrum. Intelligent, intellectually-honest people can dispassionately gague where they (NPR or whoever else) fall within it, detached from their own views. If YOU cannot, it doesn't mean the rest of us can't.

Pardon me while I get my cowboy boots on, it's getting mighty deep.

Anyone's opinion whether something is liberal, conservative or middle of the road is dependent on where they sit on the political spectrum. If you sit on the far right, then everything is to the left and vice versa. Your opinion is just one of many,,,

Regardless of where any one individual sits, it's plainly obvious that Fox sits to the right of the median voter while MSNBC sits to the left. In a similar vein, it's plainly obvious that NPR is on the left side of the spectrum as well.

It is obvious that NPR has a perception problem from reading some of the comments here. In the desire to serve the pubic interest I hve come up with a short program to help NPR make over their public image.

1- They need a famous person to be the public face of NPR. Someone with no political no history or political affiliations of any kind. I would suggest Bob Shrum.
2- They need a catchy slogan which proclaims their lack of bias. Slogans go a long way and nobody lies in a slogan as that would simply not be American. And when NPR is criticized in the future all they need to do is keep repeating the slogan. I suggest BALANCED AND FAIR.
3- They need to make a public gesture which will impress the public with their commitment. I suggest a $1 million dollar donation to the Democratic Party.
4- They need to follow in the example of other news organizations and allow all their employees to make political donations to the party and campaign of their choice.
5- They need to allow their on air talent to raise money on air for candidates and promote a particular candidate over others.
6- They need to promote and even outright assist rallies and events which promote a particular ideology or point of view.

I believe if they do all these things, their reward will be praise for their balance and objectivity in public forums just like this one. After all, its a very successful model.

How would supporting certain campaigns or rallies make them look unbiased? surely it would make them look biased in favour of the particular politician/cause?

Proposal to Defund NPR Wins GOP Anti-Government Spending Contest - FoxNews.com

Wow, the people are speaking out, you mean to tell me that taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill for a liberal radio station? Sounds good to me.

Another Libertarian who has no idea what the word means...:roll::roll:

What is so pathetically moronic about this Fox News non-story is only 5.8% of NPR's budget comes from the state and fed. Again, the new-GOP teabaggers show themselves to talking point politicians-- no substance.

Good. They should defund them. The government isn't supposed to be in the business of funding media outlets.

They should hit them with a punitive fine for denying the 1st Amendment while funded with federal money.

What is so pathetically moronic about this Fox News non-story is only 5.8% of NPR's budget comes from the state and fed. Again, the new-GOP teabaggers show themselves to talking point politicians-- no substance.

No substance are your posts and the Democrat agenda.

So then I'm sure they won't miss it. It's good to know that you agree that people are lying when they say that Republicans are trying to "destroy" NPR.

Pardon me while I get my cowboy boots on, it's getting mighty deep.

If you reject the premise, then I guess we'll count you among those who can't be dispassionate and intellectually honest.

OK, Mr. "Moderate."

Tell me -- what runs afoul of libertarian principles in favoring that the government not fund a radio network, however small that funding may be?

State the principle that's violated and exactly HOW it is so.

Funny how the Republicans had 6 years of absolute power to do this, but have to wait till the other side is in power to attempt it...

Funny how the Republicans had 6 years of absolute power to do this, but have to wait till the other side is in power to attempt it...

they could make their own appointments to the CPB.

Funny how again you demonstrate your unfamiliarity with much of what you post. Six years is the wrong figure. I leave it to you to figure out why.

Back
Top Bottom