• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House that backs up to a tennis court?

JumpinJack

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Hey, all! In my house hunting (not having much luck), I've run across a cute house. Small, but built well, very nice, the space is maximized. I wanted a large yard, which this house doesn't have. But I think the yard is just large enuf to make it work, if I'm creative and give up the "dream" of the more spacious yard.

BUT...one thing is has is....the back fence has a tennis court built right up to the fence (on the other side of the fence, by the homeowner on the other side of the fence), complete with lights for night playing. This a homeowner's court. He has a huge yard with a gazebo, pool, and then this tennis court.

I'm an outdoors person. I'll be spending a lot of time in the yard, planting fruit trees, picking fruit, gardening, playing with the dogs, relaxing. I imagine in my head the annoying sound of the balls being batted back and forth, back and forth, with an occasional one coming over the fence into my yard. Day and night. All year 'round.

I even think it's possible the lights will shine through my new house's back windows (the living areas) and be irritating, and even possibly can hear the sound of the balls IN the house. But I don't know.

I plan on staying in the house forever. I hope.

I can get a good deal on the house. It's cute, decorated stylishly, doesn't require even painting. It's also in a great neighborhood, and close to amenities.

What say you? Pass because of the tennis court thing? Has anyone lived that close to a residential tennis court? (This is such an odd thing to run across. Who has a tennis court in my price range? Obviously the street that house is on is a lot pricier.)

Probably better than backing up to an outdoor bowling ally.:lol:

Personally, it would bug me. Especially the lights and, I assume, a high fence.

Hey, all! In my house hunting (not having much luck), I've run across a cute house. Small, but built well, very nice, the space is maximized. I wanted a large yard, which this house doesn't have. But I think the yard is just large enuf to make it work, if I'm creative and give up the "dream" of the more spacious yard.

BUT...one thing is has is....the back fence has a tennis court built right up to the fence (on the other side of the fence, by the homeowner on the other side of the fence), complete with lights for night playing. This a homeowner's court. He has a huge yard with a gazebo, pool, and then this tennis court.

I'm an outdoors person. I'll be spending a lot of time in the yard, planting fruit trees, picking fruit, gardening, playing with the dogs, relaxing. I imagine in my head the annoying sound of the balls being batted back and forth, back and forth, with an occasional one coming over the fence into my yard. Day and night. All year 'round.

I even think it's possible the lights will shine through my new house's back windows (the living areas) and be irritating, and even possibly can hear the sound of the balls IN the house. But I don't know.

I can get a good deal on the house. It's cute, decorated stylishly, doesn't require even painting. It's also in a great neighborhood, and close to amenities.

What say you? Pass because of the tennis court thing? Has anyone lived that close to a residential tennis court? (This is such an odd thing to run across. Who has a tennis court in my price range? Obviously the street that house is on is a lot pricier.)

have you spoken with the other residents on either side of this home
to a lesser degree, they will have been inflicted by the same lights/tennis ball racket [yes, that pun embarrasses me]
the current owner/seller is going to tell you everything is fine, so you proceed to sale ... but if your prospective neighbors can tell you how to get in touch with the previous owner(s), you should gain the voice of experience in the same situation you may soon encounter

have you spoken with the other residents on either side of this home
to a lesser degree, they will have been inflicted by the same lights/tennis ball racket [yes, that pun embarrasses me]
the current owner/seller is going to tell you everything is fine, so you proceed to sale ... but if your prospective neighbors can tell you how to get in touch with the previous owner(s), you should gain the voice of experience in the same situation you may soon encounter

I thought it was a great pun!

The current owner has owned it since 2009, I think. I can look up the name of the prior owner in the appraisal district. It's possible the court wasn't even built back then.

But it's something to think about. The former owner may not want to get involved or mess up a sale.

What's your best guess on the distance from the tennis court to house you're looking at?

It might be a deal breaker for me.
Sure, the people who live in the tennis court house might be pretty quiet now, but what if THEY sell?

Tough situation. You can buy curtains to block light at night. You can use white noise machines, music, and/or tv to drown out noise.

I guess a lot depends on just how much you love everything else, and how tough it's been to find a place you like.
Also I guess it depends on your tolerance for neighbor-noise.

A basketball court or swimming pool that close might be worse from a noise perspective. Tennis players don't tend to be overly rowdy from my experience. Of course, there's always the exceptions to every rule.

First of all, any location issue effects price. If a home doesn't back up to other single family homes, that's a price issue. Number of buyers will be effected by that tennis court backing right to your property line. I understand you like the house a lot. And it may be such a great deal because it's been on the market quite a while with no takers and has had to reduce the offering price to attract more buyers.

This sounds like a party house. A pool, tennis court, more than normal lighting. A real possibility that you're going to have issues (resentments) with your back door neighbors.

Having had a successful career in real estate, My advice is that you weigh how much you like the home, how attractively it is priced, against how important peaceful enjoyment of your property is to you. If it were me, I would not buy that house.

If you plan on staying there forever (you probably won't), and the court bugs you, pass. If the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If you do find it necessary to sell, you will have the same problem as the current owner.

In real estate, location is way ahead of whatever is in second place. From your description, the back door neighbor may be one who throws more than just tennis parties.

I thought it was a great pun!

The current owner has owned it since 2009, I think. I can look up the name of the prior owner in the appraisal district. It's possible the court wasn't even built back then.

But it's something to think about. The former owner may not want to get involved or mess up a sale.

How often is it used?
You also have no problems with privacy due to the high fence???
Bonus is no nosy or rowdy neighbors partying.
Along the fence, is it possible to plant cedars in that area? Would eventually provide a good screen and lessen the thump sound of balls.
As mentioned, chat with the neighbors.

How often is it used?
You also have no problems with privacy due to the high fence???
Bonus is no nosy or rowdy neighbors partying.
Along the fence, is it possible to plant cedars in that area? Would eventually provide a good screen and lessen the thump sound of balls.
As mentioned, chat with the neighbors.

The fence isn't high. There's a 6 ft fence at back of property I looked at. Right on the other side of that fence are, I think, some shrubs (shorter than the fence). Immediately against the shrubs is the tennis court. So it is about 2 ft from the fence? Just a guess. But up against the fence itself is a wall of black netting that rises several feet above the fence, presumably to keep the balls from going over the fence. The big tennis ct lights are right behind the fence, so when you look at the fence, what you see are a couple of really tall overhead lights, and the black netting.

I could plant shrubs, but it'd take years for them to grow 10ft tall (been there, done that). I don't want to plant trees there. Trees will hang over the fence and cause yet another issue with that neighbor, as my leaves fall on their property, or branches fall (they'd probably cut those branches off).

So...in view of what everyone has pointed out, I think I'll pass on that. It's a shame. Nice neighborhood, super duper house! But I plan on spending a LOT of time outdoors gardening, playing w/the dogs, and such. So I guess that makes the neighbors' activities even more important to me than to someone who stays indoors.

Thanks to everyone for giving your opinions and advice. It's always helpful to hear objective statements. :2wave:

Same problem in 1980s.... Tennis court on top of a parking structure nearby. First few nights we could see shadows on the drapes and heard noises... After concluding they were benign we simply filtered out the sounds.

ETA - We had a black lab at the time.... The tennis balls were a bonus and we never ran out of chew toys for the dog. For some reason they never called down for the balls they lost.

Back
Top Bottom