• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Speaker John Boehner will support strike on Syria

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Article is here.

House Speaker John Boehner plans to vote to approve a measure authorizing U.S. military action against Syria, the Ohio Republican said after a meeting with President Barack Obama in the White House Tuesday. "This is something that the United Stats and the country need to do. I’m going to support the president’s call for action,” Boehner said after the meeting with the president and other congressional leaders. "I believe that my colleagues should support this call for action."

OK, it's good that Boehner, along with Cantor, are putting aside differences to back Obama on this............. But do we really need to do this? That is the question. Whatever intel Obama showed Boehner, it evidently persuaded him. However, Obama needs to persuade the American people, and keeping the reasons secret from the American people is not going to cut it.

Obama, show the American people what you have. We demand it.

Article is here.

OK, it's good that Boehner, along with Cantor, are putting aside differences to back Obama on this............. But do we really need to do this? That is the question. Whatever intel Obama showed Boehner, it evidently persuaded him. However, Obama needs to persuade the American people, and keeping the reasons secret from the American people is not going to cut it.

I don't think it's necessary, but with Republican backing it will happen. With Congressional approval which will blow some minds here.

How many posts until Boehner and Cantor get called "RINOs?"

I think going into syria is a terrible idea with no good outcome for the US. Anything short of anihilation of both the rebels and the present government will lead to a group of dangerous loonies in charge. With public opinion so low about it, and the huge fuss they have made about it the only thing that will come about is america being well aware of another huge US military screw up. If the republicans in congress wanted in on this stupidity so they can be the ones approving it then good for them. We should be realizing the monumental fail of it all just in time for 2014 and the financial sting will continue long through 2016. Obama does not have another term to run for, they do. It is a stupid waste that will put another burden on the people of the US and the US economy. If the people do not let their congressman know they will face primary challenges in their next election because of this then they deserve what they get.

Article is here.

I wouldn't be so sure that Boehner was persuaded by evidence. Wouldn't be surprised if Obama offered him a few political carrots in the coming political battles to sweeten the deal. Can't believe Boehner is going along with this.

I don't think it's necessary, but with Republican backing it will happen. With Congressional approval which will blow some minds here.

How many posts until Boehner and Cantor get called "RINOs?"

I'll play!
Boehner is a RINO.

IMO we have no reason to bother with Syria!:twocents:

I'll play!
Boehner is a RINO.

Really, conservative and republicans here have shown no love for Boehner from the beginning. His appointment was a and has been a massive disappointment to both conservatives and republicans.

Article is here.

I agree. I am far from convinced, regardless of what Syria's gov't is doing to the Syrian people, that it poses any direct threat to the U.S. (or its allies) and that is my standard for taking "defensive" action.

I think going into syria is a terrible idea with no good outcome for the US. Anything short of anihilation of both the rebels and the present government will lead to a group of dangerous loonies in charge. With public opinion so low about it, and the huge fuss they have made about it the only thing that will come about is america being well aware of another huge US military screw up. If the republicans in congress wanted in on this stupidity so they can be the ones approving it then good for them. We should be realizing the monumental fail of it all just in time for 2014 and the financial sting will continue long through 2016. Obama does not have another term to run for, they do. It is a stupid waste that will put another burden on the people of the US and the US economy. If the people do not let their congressman know they will face primary challenges in their next election because of this then they deserve what they get.

I have to agree here tere... I just don't see a US interest in supporting either side.

I'll play!
Boehner is a RINO.

Boehner is a monkey humping a football...I am surprised that he wasn't shown asking Obama's permission to agree.

It is a stupid waste that will put another burden on the people of the US and the US economy.

One man's waste is another man's treasure. Every shot we fire puts money into the suppliers pocket. Money talks.

No U.S. president has ever been turned down by Congress when asking to use military force.
(from Bloomberg)

Last edited:
I'll play!
Boehner is a RINO.

There are no good guys. Just wait for them to stop killing each other and then we can have diplomatic relations.

Yeah..this is great.Hezbollah on one side and Al Qaeda on the other.

McCain and Boehner are all for it, too..this country is finished. A complete ineptocracy
So now we support Al Qaeda.
Spectacular.

They beheaded a 3 year old baby. Yeah..that's what we support. rah.rah.murica!

Al-Qaeda militants kill 24 civilians near Ras al-Ain

Who benefits the most from an unstable ME? israel, of course.

Yeah..this is great.Hezbollah on one side and Al Qaeda on the other.

McCain and Boehner are all for it, too..this country is finished. A complete ineptocracy
So now we support Al Qaeda.

Who benefits the most from an unstable ME? israel, of course.

Please explain how Israel benefits. I see how Lockheed benefits but Israel?

Really, conservative and republicans here have shown no love for Boehner from the beginning. His appointment was a and has been a massive disappointment to both conservatives and republicans.

And yet, there he is still speaker. Yeah, real dissapointment there. :roll:

First if the President WANTED to do something he would have already. I'm beginning to believe this was his tactic to hopefully get Congress to say 'NO' thus giving him shelter. If Congress says 'yes' they are basically calling the President's hand...THEN what WILL he do?

Consider that IF he does respond AND we find out down the road that the rebels are responsible for the gassing the **** storm will reek of Iraq. Personally I can think of no reason for Assad to gas anyone. He is reportedly winning and gas attacks would empower the rest of the globe to potentially get involved. This global involvement would ONLY help the rebels thus their motivation...?

Please explain how Israel benefits. I see how Lockheed benefits but Israel?

As long as we're keeping the ME in turmoil by playing one side against the other and encouraging them to kill each other, they don't focus on israel.

We suported iran as long a s they danced when we pulled the strings...then they kicked out the shah and we supported saddam so he could kill iranians for us... We supported afghan when they were killing russians but then we had to invade afghan. to kill al qaeda because of 9/11..now we support al qaeda so they can kill hezbollah.

Insanity.

Gee..I wonder why they hate us in the ME? must be our "freedom"..LMAO...

There are no good guys. Just wait for them to stop killing each other and then we can have diplomatic relations.

That's about the jist of it in Syria. Both the sides fighting are bad guys IMO. Let em kill each other, see where the dust settles, then re-evaluate the situation. Syria is a lose/lose situation for the U.S.

Syria is the prime example of letting the U.N. handle it and if they want to do something about it, let all nations contribute both troops and money. Otherwise, let it go.

A big government Republican is no better than a big government Democrat. Injecting ourselves in the Syrian civil war is not in our national interest. Killing a few Syrians for a couple days is just about the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

Personally I can think of no reason for Assad to gas anyone.

The same reason Saddam did, to instill terror in his people. Terrorfied people are easier to control if they know the government hammer will fall on them if they do anything wrong. I'm not saying this is the case here as I have not seen any real evidence yet of who did it, but it isn't a stretch to see Assad doing it either. IMO both sides are the bad guys here.

Id e very interested to see the total Dem vote and wonder why so many people would put the focus on Boehner an d the GOP and not Reid and the Senate.

Id also very much like to see the evidence for why we are attacking, WHO we are attacking, what the purpose of the attack is, and why we didnt respond when the "red line" was crossed in march of 2013. Id also be very interested in knowing which rebel factions were found with Sarin gas in June of 2013. Id be ecstatic to know if the proposed military action will be engaged against rebel forces that have been found to use chemical weapons.

I dont think ANYONE should back or oppose military action based on Obama.

A big government Republican is no better than a big government Democrat. Injecting ourselves in the Syrian civil war is not in our national interest. Killing a few Syrians for a couple days is just about the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

Especially since we have said we aren't going after their stockpiles of chemical weapons. How stupid is it to just bomb a country with no real plan of action? What is it supposed to be accomplished and how is bombing supposed to accomplish it?

As long as we're keeping the ME in turmoil by playing one side against the other and encouraging them to kill each other, they don't focus on israel.

We suported iran as long a s they danced when we pulled the strings...then they kicked out the shah and we supported saddam so he could kill iranians for us... We supported afghan when they were killing russians but then we had to invade afghan. to kill al qaeda because of 9/11..now we support al qaeda so they can kill hezbollah.

Insanity.

Gee..I wonder why they hate us in the ME? must be our "freedom"..LMAO...

I do pretty much agree with your commentary but I don't think Israel benefits from the Syrian body count, particularly the civilians who seem to be getting the short end here.

Also, I question that we are "supporting Al Qaeda". I doubt we are "supporting" anyone beyond our weapon manufacturers. Every President is obligated to have a war or two during their term and historically, we never really win anything (possible exception was the Gulf War 1 where we came, saw, conquered and departed) but billions change hands among a small, select group. Business as usual.

Why are we not shooting up Iran?
How about we go back to Iraq and get them back on track?
How about North Korea? They are bad and kill their own and jail Americans.
Stay longer in Afghanistan?
How about Russia? Putin is a tough talker. Lets make him put up or shut up.
Lots of wrongs in the world. We cant fix them all.

Obama: "Plan is a 'limited, proportional' strike to 'degrade' Syrian capacity and 'send a message'".

DanaRhea: You can send a message to Assad on Facebook. It's a lot cheaper. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom