• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Republicans subpoena Comey, Lynch for closed-door testimony

There is no one-sided report. That's a lie. There were Democrats present that were free to put out w/e message they wanted as well.

Yes and they did release a memo, however it was ignored.

It's unclear if Comey sees himself as an ersatz Jim Acosta or the other way around.
Imagine what an Acosta - Comey interview would be like.

There is no one-sided report. That's a lie. There were Democrats present that were free to put out w/e message they wanted as well.

There was a one-sided report. House Republicans used their committee control to release their own report ahead of a Democrat version in an attempt to control the narrative. It may not have been successful, but that is what happened.

It doesn't matter. The Congressional investigation into the corrupt Obama administration is over.

Would that be after the fourth or the fifth (Republican dominated) investigation that didn't discover anything?

It's unclear if Comey sees himself as an ersatz Jim Acosta or the other way around.
Imagine what an Acosta - Comey interview would be like.

A two-man circle jerk.

You believe the Comey BS, eh?

In a private hearing he wouldn't be able to avoid answering questions because of classified information or conduct; or about the counterintelligence operation mounted against candidate Trump in 2016. In a public hearing he can refuse to answer those kinds of questions.

And, of course, the Dems don't want him being put on the spot either, so of course, they agree with him.

It doesn't matter. The Congressional investigation into the corrupt Obama administration is over.

It's over because no corruption has been found. Now it is Trump's turn in the barrel. Somehow I don't believe his investigation will have the same outcome.

It's over because no corruption has been found. Now it is Trump's turn in the barrel. Somehow I don't believe his investigation will have the same outcome.

Do you know why Trump didn't declassify the stuff that Congress asked for? Do you know why Congress asked for it to be declassified? Do you think Trump will eventually declassify the material? These are important questions when talking about Obama administration corruption.

As far as the House pursuing that corruption, yes...it's over. The Dems aren't going to investigate. But don't ever believe that "no corruption has been found".

See my sig...

He is welcome to take his case to the press after he testifies behind closed doors. Of course he could leak it to his professor friend. He has experience doing that.

He wouldn't do that because unlike many in the GOP he actually has respect for the rule of law. Testimony given behind closed doors is subject to confidentiality rules.

Do you know why Trump didn't declassify the stuff that Congress asked for? Do you know why Congress asked for it to be declassified? Do you think Trump will eventually declassify the material? These are important questions when talking about Obama administration corruption.

As far as the House pursuing that corruption, yes...it's over. The Dems aren't going to investigate. But don't ever believe that "no corruption has been found".

Republicans investigated the Obama administration ruthlessly for six years, and all they have to show for it is that Hillary used private emails. Republicans had their chance.

Now it's time to look at Trump's tax returns and deal with Emoluments violations. The waiting will end in January.

See my sig...

How many people in the Obama Administration received indictments?

How many people in the Obama Administration received indictments?

Who cares?

The Dem House won't be investigating anyone from the Obama administration.

Republicans investigated the Obama administration ruthlessly for six years, and all they have to show for it is that Hillary used private emails. Republicans had their chance.

Now it's time to look at Trump's tax returns and deal with Emoluments violations. The waiting will end in January.

I wonder...

If Trump uses the same tactics that Obama used when dealing with those investigations...will you complain as much...or more...as the Republicans complained?

I wonder...

If Trump uses the same tactics that Obama used when dealing with those investigations...will you complain as much...or more...as the Republicans complained?

Obama recognized the inherent principle of Congressional oversight and the traditional separation of the White House from the Department of Justice. If Trump suddenly switched to recognizing and accepting those principles I'd be thrilled.

Obama recognized the inherent principle of Congressional oversight and the traditional separation of the White House from the Department of Justice. If Trump suddenly switched to recognizing and accepting those principles I'd be thrilled.

Obama was as uncooperative with the Congressional investigations as he could be. Do you want Trump to emulate him?

I expect 0 criminal charges and 0 indictments.

Obama was as uncooperative with the Congressional investigations as he could be. Do you want Trump to emulate him?

55.5% of the country would be elated if Trump woke up one day and decided to emulate any decent human being (though emulating Obama would be a plus).

Who cares?

The Dem House won't be investigating anyone from the Obama administration.

Not a single indictment. So it would appear then that you probably refrain from even going there.

55.5% of the country would be elated if Trump woke up one day and decided to emulate any decent human being (though emulating Obama would be a plus).

Okay. I've given you enough chances to answer my questions. You keep avoiding them, while spouting off with some biased nonsense.

You are dismissed.

Okay. I've given you enough chances to answer my questions. You keep avoiding them, while spouting off with some biased nonsense.

You are dismissed.

You presented an impossible scenario in which Trump emulates a good human being who respects Democratic norms and institutions. What was there to take seriously?

I have some serious procedural questions if anyone feels like weighing in.

1. This closed-door hearing, is it invite only? Can the Democrats crash it or will they be invited? It seems undemocratic for one party to hold its own hearing and draw its own conclusions without any member of the other present.

2. Can Comey refuse to attend unless it's a public hearing as he's claimed?

3. Can't the new congress later order the findings or transcripts and other details to be released or declassified?

4. Won't the Dems in congress just hold their own (possibly public) 'counter-hearing' to discredit any spin the GOP put on the results of the closed hearing?

Last edited:
I have some serious procedural questions if anyone feels like weighing in.

1. This closed-door hearing, is it invite only? Can the Democrats crash it or will they be invited? It seems undemocratic for one party to hold its own hearing and draw its own conclusions without any member of the other present.

Democrats sit on all the committees, but since they're the minority party they can't control the agendas and the scheduling of the hearings.

2. Can Comey refuse to attend unless it's a public hearing as he's claimed?

He can legally challenge it, but he can't outright refuse to appear. I believe that in the process of legally challenging the subpoena he can successfully run out the clock before Democrats take over the committee.

3. Can congress later order the findings or transcripts and other details to be released or declassified?

Yes, but not unilaterally. First the Intelligence Committee votes to declassify a document, but they have to send it to the White House to seek permission, as it were. If the President objects to declassification, it goes back to the Intelligence Committee for a full vote.

4. Won't the Dems in congress just hold their own (possibly public) 'counter-hearing' to discredit any spin the GOP put on the results of the closed hearing?

Under present circumstances, no. Hearings are scheduled and directed by the party in the majority, which right now is Republican.

Going where?

Talking about corruption in the Obama when not a single person in it had ever been indicted for anything meanwhile this present administration that has seen several indictments already just reeks with corruption.

I’m not aware of any Obama corruption, but if there is it’s the fault of the world rather than the fault of Obama himself. The world is a very vicious place.

"I’m not aware of any Obama corruption"

Oh of course not. Predictable response.

"I’m not aware of any Obama corruption"

Oh of course not. Predictable response.

Compelling response. Regardless, if you do find anything it's the fault of the world, not Obama.

Back
Top Bottom