• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures[W:120]

Re: House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures

Repubs get their negotiation as soon as the Russian Roulette stops.
Even for Repub supporters, Repubs have this Nation's stomachs in knots.

We have to stop phrasing this in their terms. They have the negotiations on Obamacare. It has happened 40 times and they have had 40 losing votes on it. They have run a presidential campaign on it and lost. The argument is done. They lost the negotiations because people wanted it. Now we do it. Do not let them redirect the argument into different terminology because they want to make it sound better. We are funding the measures that have been passed by our legislature and signed into law by the executive. They have every chance to vote on removing Obamacare again and again. They have a chance right now to vote on getting rid of Obamacare, but they can't. There is no negotiations on this because there is nothing to negotiate.

There is only one thing that needs to be corrected, and that is to have a budget vote able to be proposed by anyone in the house. It should not rely on the speaker's sole discretion to bring it to the floor. Really, they need to start suggesting that fix because I am not blaming the dems for this shutdown, but i will blame them for the next one if they do not remove that power from the speaker.

You hire essential personnel like security guards and you prevent people from defacing it or going inside. Some of us still value our national treasures. You would have us tear them down and put up statues of Ted Cruz?

*cough* That memorial is privately funded. They just wired it shut because it's on Federal Land. You can stop with the lame we needed security guards nonsense.

Obama is also booting old people out of their houses. Typical thug trying to maximize pain with "shutdown theatre" just like the sequester jester. On cue his Obots are out in force spewing his talking points with blank staring eyes.

Obama's Park Service kicks owners out of private Lake Mead homes over shutdown - Spokane Conservative | Examiner.com

And this is the guy who is going to control and ration our HC?

What could possibly go wrong?

*cough* That memorial is privately funded. They just wired it shut because it's on Federal Land. You can stop with the lame we needed security guards nonsense.

Obama is also booting old people out of their houses. Typical thug trying to maximize pain with "shutdown theatre" just like the sequester jester. On cue his Obots are out in force spewing his talking points with blank staring eyes.

Obama's Park Service kicks owners out of private Lake Mead homes over shutdown - Spokane Conservative | Examiner.com

And this is the guy who is going to control and ration our HC?

What could possibly go wrong?
Those people built their homes on federal land and as part of their lease requirements, must have a second home.

Removing that power would surely have roadblocks.
We are not dealing with rationale people, and haven't been for 56 months.
My latest is to describe this as the House Repub version of a filibuster, by adding policy riders and poison pills.
Of course they know better.
"But we want something out of this, but I can't tell you what it is." LOL
I see the debt ceiling getting solved before the CR.
As for under the table agreements, Dems are probably floating:
Keystone, which Obama has signalled reluctant acceptance on;
the medical device tax, which 76 Senators support removing;
even chained CPI, which Obama previously floated;
the 986 billion Repub figure which Dems agreed to and now Repubs want to lower it more(there go the goalposts)
It was nice to hear from you.
We have to stop phrasing this in their terms. They have the negotiations on Obamacare. It has happened 40 times and they have had 40 losing votes on it. They have run a presidential campaign on it and lost. The argument is done. They lost the negotiations because people wanted it. Now we do it. Do not let them redirect the argument into different terminology because they want to make it sound better. We are funding the measures that have been passed by our legislature and signed into law by the executive. They have every chance to vote on removing Obamacare again and again. They have a chance right now to vote on getting rid of Obamacare, but they can't. There is no negotiations on this because there is nothing to negotiate.

There is only one thing that needs to be corrected, and that is to have a budget vote able to be proposed by anyone in the house. It should not rely on the speaker's sole discretion to bring it to the floor. Really, they need to start suggesting that fix because I am not blaming the dems for this shutdown, but i will blame them for the next one if they do not remove that power from the speaker.

Removing that power would surely have roadblocks.
We are not dealing with rationale people, and haven't been for 56 months.
My latest is to describe this as the House Repub version of a filibuster, by adding policy riders and poison pills.
Of course they know better.
"But we want something out of this, but I can't tell you what it is." LOL
I see the debt ceiling getting solved before the CR.
As for under the table agreements, Dems are probably floating:
Keystone, which Obama has signalled reluctant acceptance on;
the medical device tax, which 76 Senators support removing;
even chained CPI, which Obama previously floated;
the 986 billion Repub figure which Dems agreed to and now Repubs want to lower it more(there go the goalposts)
It was nice to hear from you.
This is what I am saying. We have to stop getting distracted by the hissy fit andf figure out how we stop the hissy fit from happening and demand we get some people in there who can do it. Or at least trick the people in power into supporting something that would stop their stupidity by telling them it is actually to stop their opponents. This is not just against republicans here because this whole situation is indicative of a general weakness of the system. There should be some method that you can get something to the floor through some other process aside from just the majority speaker. That is a dumb rule overall and i have no problem with getting rid of it. If they want a threshold require something like 150 house members to sign off on it being presented or something. That would stop bull**** like death star proposals and it would fix this problem. This is a bigger problem than Obamacare, and people are being distracted to a different position at this point. If the house was actually voting to hold this up then we would have a different issue, but this is not even being voted on because the minority who is relying on boehner's power is stopping votes. You know next year republicans will be putting all the blame on boehner and pretending they wanted to vote all along. They should be responsible for their actual votes. They should actually have to vote and not just avoid a vote by pretending they know how it will turn out. It may turn out the way they say, but let us get the cogresspoeple on the record voting for it.

Fight fire with more fire.
They're at it 24/7/365 and will have a whole new set of talking points as soon as Limbaugh speaks tomorrow.
And then they deny they listen to him and beck as they repeat in toto.

We're not going to let America forget this time, like we did in 2010.
Dems are using the "discharge petition" this time, but they messed up the timing and
they can't bring it to the floor until Oct.28th if it has the needed signatures.
With that, they are rarely successful.

I am heartened by the articles I still read on Politico, like Rep. Peter King ripping his own GOP.
He's still pithed at the way his party treated NY during Sandy but now they all want money in the CO floods.
I still maintain this is all Cantor and Ryan and we must fight each of their lies and deceptions with the truth.
It starts with Martin Bashir in one forum tomorrow.
This is what I am saying. We have to stop getting distracted by the hissy fit andf figure out how we stop the hissy fit from happening and demand we get some people in there who can do it. Or at least trick the people in power into supporting something that would stop their stupidity by telling them it is actually to stop their opponents. This is not just against republicans here because this whole situation is indicative of a general weakness of the system. There should be some method that you can get something to the floor through some other process aside from just the majority speaker. That is a dumb rule overall and i have no problem with getting rid of it. If they want a threshold require something like 150 house members to sign off on it being presented or something. That would stop bull**** like death star proposals and it would fix this problem. This is a bigger problem than Obamacare, and people are being distracted to a different position at this point. If the house was actually voting to hold this up then we would have a different issue, but this is not even being voted on because the minority who is relying on boehner's power is stopping votes. You know next year republicans will be putting all the blame on boehner and pretending they wanted to vote all along. They should be responsible for their actual votes. They should actually have to vote and not just avoid a vote by pretending they know how it will turn out. It may turn out the way they say, but let us get the cogresspoeple on the record voting for it.

Fight fire with more fire.
They're at it 24/7/365 and will have a whole new set of talking points as soon as Limbaugh speaks tomorrow.
And then they deny they listen to him and beck as they repeat in toto.

We're not going to let America forget this time, like we did in 2010.
Dems are using the "discharge petition" this time, but they messed up the timing and
they can't bring it to the floor until Oct.28th if it has the needed signatures.
With that, they are rarely successful.

I am heartened by the articles I still read on Politico, like Rep. Peter King ripping his own GOP.
He's still pithed at the way his party treated NY during Sandy but now they all want money in the CO floods.
I still maintain this is all Cantor and Ryan and we must fight each of their lies and deceptions with the truth.
It starts with Martin Bashir in one forum tomorrow.

This is one of their last grabs at power. No longer can moderate republicans stand and say we are not part of this extreme so please do not vote for my oppoment. The fact that they have fix noise and Puff Limbaugh doesn't mean much when the audience is not the middle ground. That is the problem with them. Fanatics tend to read the news and everything on faux, but is that message getting to the middle, and it is not. It is firing up their base which is a slipping majority. They really do not get it that when you wstrike a no compromise pose you will not take the reasonable middle no matter how much fight you have in you. They are just turning things to the dems because peopl;e are going to realize a stupid government is better than no government because of this action. In 2014 they cannot say let us make everything republican because obama sits on top and they cannot get beyond that until 2016. EWven impeachment will not help because they will just have biden. So the next election they have pushed the curve to the left while leaving the mass of people in the center, and asfter all of this recovery gets squashed due to their meddling people are going to be sick of hearing it. They have been whining way too long to pretend this is just one issue they are fighting the good fight on. This is their spoiled fit because the dems have gotten some small things done that they do not like. This is the pushback from the right trying to tell the country they will crash it if we do not buckle under and make it a christian right nation, and the methodology to do this should be removed. It gives wauy too much power to whoever is the speaker and that just is not right. I hope that people stay focussed when this all ends and we get something into place that allows for a bill to be presented without the speaker's approval. There is always an override to one man's stupidity, and in this case there is not one that is good enough and it needs to be changed.

The GOP shut down the government and Issa wants to investigate why it shut down. The farce is complete.

House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures - Darren Goode - POLITICO.com

Nice spin there HoJ. A government shut down means people in the government not going to work unless they are in essential jobs. Which park service is not one of. Instead of those park service personnel not going to work they went to work, along with barriers being put in place (which costs extra money) and are actively trying to keep people out. I can see actively keeping people out of a building. But open air monuments? 1,100 miles of ocean? Biscayne national Park with 173 thousand acres? Why are they being actively prevented from going in?

Vandalism anyone? Forest fires ? Etc etc

Nice spin there HoJ. A government shut down means people in the government not going to work unless they are in essential jobs. Which park service is not one of. Instead of those park service personnel not going to work they went to work, along with barriers being put in place (which costs extra money) and are actively trying to keep people out. I can see actively keeping people out of a building. But open air monuments? 1,100 miles of ocean? Biscayne national Park with 173 thousand acres? Why are they being actively prevented from going in?

This is what it means to shut down non essential things, and that means you do not get to do what you want with their land. This is what a government shutdown is. This is what the republicans want, but they also want to have all the stuff they like be there. This is what you get. Deal or fold.

There should be an investigation. Someone must have ordered NPS personelle to barricade a public space requiring no oversight, to keep out the public. And I cant think of any reason to do that other than political, which is an abuse of power. So someone needs to be fired.

This is what it means to shut down non essential things, and that means you do not get to do what you want with their land. This is what a government shutdown is. This is what the republicans want, but they also want to have all the stuff they like be there. This is what you get. Deal or fold.

It is not "their" land. It is public land. Owned by the public. You seem to forget that WE are the masters and THEY are the servants.

I see you do not understand.
I see it is you who do not understand.

these are things the government provides for us.
No. They don't.
You think they provided this open air monument? Well you are wrong.

So shutting it down means that these things are not available to us. That is what the shutdown means. It does not mean we let the republicans go about life as normal doing what they want to because of this. You want the shut down now you face the loss of some of your government provided things. If it is that imprtant to you then feel free to fund the whole government and tell your reps to do that. I am quite fine with you taking a hit because of this. You and the veterans do not need to be provided something from the government that you are railing against. Maybe you will figure out that shutting down the whole government over not getting your way on one issue was a really stupid idea that screws us all, but I am not bothered that you feel pain over a decision that the idiots you back with a sycophantic fervor.
I see you in your fervor fail to see the truth of the situation. It is to be expected of someone who so blindly goes along as a lemming would with what their sycophantic leader is doing. Truly a shame.
What your halfwit leader is doing is wrong.
There was no reason to spend more closing down something that didn't need to be closed in the first place.
You can't change that.

There should be no negotiations on funding the agreed upon functions of our government.
You seem to be confused again because ACA was not an agreed to function of the Government.
It was legislation that was passed in an underhanded fashion.

You have had 40 votes to get rid of Obamacare and it is still there, now it is time to fund everything we voted on doing and funding.
Now is obviously time to try and negotiate.
Had the Dems done their jobs in the first place we wouldn't be where we are now needing a CR, which is giving the republicans a chance to do what they are doing.
So stop with the bs.

You do not get to kill off programs you do not like by simply not funding them when they have been democratically voted on and established by the majority, and they have been upheld as constitutional by the court.
You mean like the Dems attempting to defund the Iraq War?
You mean like 18 USC § 925(c) that has been consistently defunded since 1992?

You mean to tell me our elected reps can't do these things?

Well you better tell them, because it is done, and is acceptable

What you said is nonsense, as it doesn't matter one iota that it was passed and one aspect of it upheld.
It doesn't mater one bit as our representatives can choose to remove, change and or defund what ever legislation they want.

You have to get a majority to take out obamacare, and it is not right for it to be taken out by a minority. No there should not be a negotiation on that in any way shape or form.
Well apparently the people don't want it.
So the Dems are standing in the way of what the people want.
Your minority argument is bogus.

I am glad Obama and the dems are standing up to you, and I hope they continue. If they will not i will make damed sure to vote for someone who will stand up to your people and tell them they are in the minority and the people overwhelmingly want this.
Standing up to me? :doh iLOL
My people? :doh iLOL
Typical liberal.
I see you support the party of "No". Obviously it is because you like the legislation. Nothing more than that.
Which is truly sad, as the legislation is harmful to this country, but you don't care as long as you get yours, right?

again... what's the excuse 17 times before?

Deflection and play pretend. We're getting a lot of that from the tea party as they attack the economy

It is not "their" land. It is public land. Owned by the public. You seem to forget that WE are the masters and THEY are the servants.

Word games. Another aspect of the tea party syndrome.

Let's pretend you don't need staff to keep government monuments, parks, etc. open. Let's pretend.

Let's pretend parks don't require staff to function. Let's pretend.

The GOP shuts down the government and they investigate why government functions have ceased. A new level of tea party dishonesty. And of course everybody sees through it, so it's perfect to watch you defend it.

If it costs more money to "shut it down" than it does to keep them open, and we are talking about a shutdown due to lack of funding, wtf are people thinkig shutting them down?

Policy riders and poison pills on budget bills are the House Republican version of the Senate Republican filibuster.

Good grief, you don't have to lie. Riders and poison pills have been around since the beginning and used by both the house and the senate, used by both parties.

They weren't booted out of their homes during any prior shut downs

Not to fear Obama's golf course remains open

Obama's Golf Course Has Been Spared from the Shutdown

Wake up
It would be nice if the federal government was consistent in what is or is not shut down. However that doesn't change the fact that those homes were on federal lands and therefore the residents can be kicked off the federal property.

Deflection and play pretend. We're getting a lot of that from the tea party as they attack the economy

i asked a question, and you did not answer.......your usual tactic.

And the people chosen to administer the care of public lands are the government. You cannot do whatever you want on public land. I can not go into a park and just start shooting my gun anywhere I so please. I cannot light the park on fire. I cannot build a treehouse in the park no matter how much I want to. The government gets to decide what goes on on public lands not you. You have only the rights to use it as they allow. It does not belong to you and that is a twisted view.

And the people chosen to administer the care of public lands are the government. You cannot do whatever you want on public land. I can not go into a park and just start shooting my gun anywhere I so please. I cannot light the park on fire. I cannot build a treehouse in the park no matter how much I want to. The government gets to decide what goes on on public lands not you. You have only the rights to use it as they allow. It does not belong to you and that is a twisted view.

When did we ratify an amendment giving the federal govt the power to aquire state land to run as parks?

Back
Top Bottom