• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House passes stopgap funding bill with $5 billion for Trump's border wall, at odds with Senate

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/house-passes-stopgap-funding-bill-5-billion-trump-s-border-n950666

WASHINGTON - The House passed a stopgap measure for funding the government that includes $5 billion for a border wall sought by President Donald Trump.

The vote of 217 to 185 on Thursday night puts the House at odds with the Senate, which on Wednesday night passed a funding bill that does not include border-wall money.

This bill DOES NOT conform with the Senate bill so the vote now goes back to the Senate where, in all likelihood, Flake, Collins and Murkowski will sink the deal. So what does this accomplish? Well, not much except that any shutdown now will NOT be entirely at Trump's feet (it really wasn't before but...)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/house-passes-stopgap-funding-bill-5-billion-trump-s-border-n950666

This bill DOES NOT conform with the Senate bill so the vote now goes back to the Senate where, in all likelihood, Flake, Collins and Murkowski will sink the deal. So what does this accomplish? Well, not much except that any shutdown now will NOT be entirely at Trump's feet (it really wasn't before but...)

Whose feet was it at? You know, there's a reason for checks and balances in the Executive and Legislative branches of government. It's so one person can't have too much power.

Trump stomped his feet, held his breath and cried out for a border wall. The senate said no. He said he was going to shut down the government if WE didn't pay for the wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for. The senate still said no.

So are you saying it's the senate's fault that the government will shut down? Not the toddling tyrant-in-chief?

Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess. :shrug:

No, it does not accomplish that.

They only reason they did it is that he folded on his fold and said he would veto a bill without more money for his stupid ****ing wall, and they don't want to be responsible for yet another shutdown. That's basically the right's strategy now: try to force shutdowns because they didn't get everything they want, then blame "the left" for making them do that. Translate that kind of dynamic to a two-person relationship and....well....ask a therapist.

Besides, it's not like anyone straining to find even a reason to put a little blame on someone other than Trump for this ever now thought twice before doing something different before Trump was president...

Paul Ryan cannot give up the gavel soon enough. He and his ilk will not be missed.

Whose feet was it at? You know, there's a reason for checks and balances in the Executive and Legislative branches of government. It's so one person can't have too much power.

Trump stomped his feet, held his breath and cried out for a border wall. The senate said no. He said he was going to shut down the government if WE didn't pay for the wall that Mexico was supposed to pay for. The senate still said no.

So are you saying it's the senate's fault that the government will shut down? Not the toddling tyrant-in-chief?

Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess. :shrug:

Cool song!

Wall first. Fix immigration second. I have no idea why that's such a hard thing for Democrats (and no small number of Republicans) to wrap their head around.

We've tried it the other way around before and got screwed every time. Why not try it this way? I mean, bottom line is that everyone wants a secure border...don't they?

Trump should go on vacation and bring his veto stamp. Veto everything until he gets his wall. I would love to see that. Make the Congress have to override his veto and make THEM own their votes.

It'll need some Dem votes in the Senate to pass. Schumer has already said there won't be any Dem votes.

That means the Dems will be shutting down the government.

btw, didn't Nancy INSIST Trump did NOT have enough votes in the House? Nancy sticks her foot in her mouth...again.

Government shut down also known as conservative governing.

Government shut down also known as conservative governing.

Well, it is one way to less government. Believe me, the prospect of a government shutdown doesn't phase me in the least.

No this is on FOX NEWS! All was quiet and everyone was going to slip out of town, play golf, enjoy family, but NO, Fox News couldn’t let it be, Hannity, Ingram et. al chimed in and welcome to “crazy town!”

No this is on FOX NEWS! All was quiet and everyone was going to slip out of town, play golf, enjoy family, but NO, Fox News couldn’t let it be, Hannity, Ingram et. al chimed in and welcome to “crazy town!”

I just read an AP link and I'm pretty sure the link I posted was NBC. I have no idea how this became a "Fox News" thing for you.

Well, it is one way to less government. Believe me, the prospect of a government shutdown doesn't phase me in the least.

I guess as long as it won't affect you then its okay.

Trumpists own the shutdown now. fine by me.

Trump claimed ownership days ago.

He also blamed Democrats. Convenient when he flops so often, you can pick the position you like best.

If the Senate passes this I am SOOOOOO going to be laughing my ass off at all the Trump haters. Just this thread alone is entertaining. Imagine what it will be like if the Senate passes this. :lamo

If the Senate passes this I am SOOOOOO going to be laughing my ass off at all the Trump haters. Just this thread alone is entertaining. Imagine what it will be like if the Senate passes this. :lamo

.......and if they don’t, there will be crickets as you slink-away as per usual; wanna wager SOOOOOOO laughing ass?

Trump claimed ownership days ago.

exactly. it is sad that he allowed fox and fools to dictate national policy, but not unexpected.

This is Congress, they dont like to work much in the first place, maybe they dont want to ruin their holiday over this.

Well, I'm pretty sure this takes 60 in the senate and I'm not really sure we have even 51 Republicans so I'm not optimistic but, indeed, I'll laugh my ass off if it passes. Heck, I might even tweet something.

Trumpists own the shutdown now. fine by me.

I disagree. The House passing this means that enough Democrats signed on to get it passed. If it doesn't pass in the Senate because of Democrats being obstinate on the wall then they will own this lock stock and barrel. People will ask themselves..."if the House passed it with Democrats voting "yes" then why didn't the Senate?"...The only way it will be a Republican shutdown now is if someone on the Republican side votes against it or Trump vetoes.

I disagree. The House passing this means that enough Democrats signed on to get it passed. If it doesn't pass in the Senate because of Democrats being obstinate on the wall then they will own this lock stock and barrel. People will ask themselves..."if the House passed it with Democrats voting "yes" then why didn't the Senate?"...The only way it will be a Republican shutdown now is if someone on the Republican side votes against it or Trump vetoes.

nope. they had an agreement, and he chose to shut down the government instead after watching fox. it's the Trump shutdown. enjoy.

:lamo

What the **** are you talking about? Democrats in the House voted against the bill.

Back
Top Bottom