• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House passes stopgap funding bill with $5 billion for Trump's border wall, at odds with Senate

Well, I'm pretty sure this takes 60 in the senate and I'm not really sure we have even 51 Republicans so I'm not optimistic but, indeed, I'll laugh my ass off if it passes. Heck, I might even tweet something.

Oh I'm not optimistic either. Quite honestly I hope that it doesn't pass. Not because of the threat of a shutdown, but because I think The Wall is a stupid idea. I see the logic in it, but I also see the logic against it and I think the logic against it outweighs the logic for it.

Cool song!
Wall first. Fix immigration second. I have no idea why that's such a hard thing for Democrats (and no small number of Republicans) to wrap their head around.

We've tried it the other way around before and got screwed every time. Why not try it this way? I mean, bottom line is that everyone wants a secure border...don't they?

Because you don't get to act like a petulant child, and stomp your feet and hold your breath until you get your way.

We learned that as children. Well, most of us did.

As far as the wall, most people don't want it, despite the fact that Tomi Lahren says that they do.

4fyjhlx9bumu-7mipqet-w.jpg

I disagree. The House passing this means that enough Democrats signed on to get it passed. If it doesn't pass in the Senate because of Democrats being obstinate on the wall then they will own this lock stock and barrel. People will ask themselves..."if the House passed it with Democrats voting "yes" then why didn't the Senate?"...The only way it will be a Republican shutdown now is if someone on the Republican side votes against it or Trump vetoes.

To be fair, I don't believe that there were any Democrat "aye" votes in the House.

Well, I'm pretty sure this takes 60 in the senate and I'm not really sure we have even 51 Republicans so I'm not optimistic but, indeed, I'll laugh my ass off if it passes. Heck, I might even tweet something.
Spoiler: you won't be laughing and neither will the broader public.

Well, it is one way to less government. Believe me, the prospect of a government shutdown doesn't phase me in the least.

Good thing it's not all about you, Luther.

You are as bad as my cousin, who said that she didn't give one fig about people losing their health insurance, because she didn't have it, either.

Because you don't get to act like a petulant child, and stomp your feet and hold your breath until you get your way.

We learned that as children. Well, most of us did.

As far as the wall, most people don't want it, despite the fact that Tomi Lahren says that they do.

Oh come on. Chuck and Nancy were the epitome of "petulant" in their meeting. All the ***** hat woman protesting the election were the epitome of "petulant". The entirety of the Democrat Senate Judiciary Committee were the epitome of "petulant" during the Kavanaugh confirmation. I mean, "petulant" is part and parcel of the Democrat political game plan.

Good thing it's not all about you, Luther.

You are as bad as my cousin, who said that she didn't give one fig about people losing their health insurance, because she didn't have it, either.

Hmm...is she hot? Does she like bourbon? Is she OK with a slight lack of head hair and a little excess belly on her men?

Oh come on. Chuck and Nancy were the epitome of "petulant" in their meeting. All the ***** hat woman protesting the election were the epitome of "petulant". The entirety of the Democrat Senate Judiciary Committee were the epitome of "petulant" during the Kavanaugh confirmation. I mean, "petulant" is part and parcel of the Democrat political game plan.

So because others do it, it's OK for the highest office in the land to do it?

Your president crosses his arms like a spoiled child. But that's OK because he's your president. Obama wore a tan suit and you guys tried to crucify him.

You can keep all your righteous indignation. You'll need it if Trump and Pence are removed, and Pelosi becomes president.

:lol:

Oh I'm not optimistic either. Quite honestly I hope that it doesn't pass. Not because of the threat of a shutdown, but because I think The Wall is a stupid idea. I see the logic in it, but I also see the logic against it and I think the logic against it outweighs the logic for it.

Like I said before, 2000 miles of physical wall is stupid. What isn't stupid, however, is getting a solid commitment to secure the border before negotiating one iota on anything else immigration related. It makes no sense at all to discuss stuff like DACA or a path to citizenship unless and until the border is made secure.

Like I said before, 2000 miles of physical wall is stupid. What isn't stupid, however, is getting a solid commitment to secure the border before negotiating one iota on anything else immigration related. It makes no sense at all to discuss stuff like DACA or a path to citizenship unless and until the border is made secure.

Agreed.

Oh come on. Chuck and Nancy were the epitome of "petulant" in their meeting.
Actually, that would be the toddler in chief.

The Republican leadership has offered us nothing in return for what is an enormous concession being requested from the blue side of the aisle, so they shouldn't be surprised when stick to our partisan guns when there's nothing in it for us.

It's the exact same thing we got from 2010-2014, so buck-up!

Actually, that would be the toddler in chief.

The Republican leadership has offered us nothing in return for what is an enormous concession being requested from the blue side of the aisle, so they shouldn't be surprised when stick to our partisan guns when there's nothing in it for us.

It's the exact same thing we got from 2010-2014, so buck-up!

Question for you....why should there be ANY concession demands for something that is literally a part of our governments job? To secure our borders.

So because others do it, it's OK for the highest office in the land to do it?

Your president crosses his arms like a spoiled child. But that's OK because he's your president. Obama wore a tan suit and you guys tried to crucify him.

You can keep all your righteous indignation. You'll need it if Trump and Pence are removed, and Pelosi becomes president.

This.

The years of scheming and gaming by Boehner, McConnell, Ryan, and company have finally come back to bite them. They refused to even consider healthcare reform, doing everything they could to snatch a senate seat in a special election, because they planned to filibuster the ACA if they won it, and lets not even get into Garland.

Now, they want us to give them a border wall that 56% of the public doesn't want? :lamo

Do your job, Schumer.

Question for you....why should there be ANY concession demands for something that is literally a part of our governments job? To secure our borders.
There is nothing that requires our government to fund a border wall that most people in this country don't consider necessary, stop being melodramatic because you're not getting what you want.

Republicans didn't give us jack the past ten years.

This.

The years of scheming and gaming by Boehner, McConnell, Ryan, and company have finally come back to bite them. They refused to even consider healthcare reform, doing everything they could to snatch a senate seat in a special election, because they planned to filibuster the ACA if they won it, and lets not even get into Garland.

Now, they want us to give them a border wall that 56% of the public doesn't want? :lamo

Do your job, Schumer.

*spoken in an old granny voice* Well, now, dear. They want us to be civil.

Pretty sure after the last two years, that train has left the station.

*spoken in an old granny voice* Well, now, dear. They want us to be civil.

Pretty sure after the last two years, that train has left the station.
Now, it's time for the Democrats to stand their ground and make the Republicans clean the mess-up.

The public already is going to blame the GOP for this, so there's no need to give these jerks anything.

This.

Do your job, Schumer.

Why is it important that 56% are opposed in some poll?

Trump should go on vacation and bring his veto stamp. Veto everything until he gets his wall. I would love to see that. Make the Congress have to override his veto and make THEM own their votes.

If Individual 1 shuts down the govt, Air Force 1 should be grounded and the secret service detail at Mar-a-Lago should be sent home...

There is nothing that requires our government to fund a border wall that most people in this country don't consider necessary, stop being melodramatic because you're not getting what you want.

Republicans didn't give us jack the past ten years.

Stating our governments very purpose is being over dramatic? :roll: Dodge attempt noticed though.

Stating our governments very purpose is being over dramatic? :roll: Dodge attempt noticed though.
Uh, no.

Our government's purpose is not to build walls like we're in ancient Rome. :screwy

Eventually there will be a Trump Wall, but recent news may even be more significant than the physical wall itself.

Probably as effective a deal to curb illegal alien entry into the US in decades was getting the new Mexican Government help.
Deal with Mexico would make asylum-seekers wait outside U.S. border: Effectively ending Obama's catch & release flapdoodle.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/house-passes-stopgap-funding-bill-5-billion-trump-s-border-n950666

This bill DOES NOT conform with the Senate bill so the vote now goes back to the Senate where, in all likelihood, Flake, Collins and Murkowski will sink the deal. So what does this accomplish? Well, not much except that any shutdown now will NOT be entirely at Trump's feet (it really wasn't before but...)

Senate won't pass it. Let the shutdown begin, and let those responsible for it own it.

It'll need some Dem votes in the Senate to pass. Schumer has already said there won't be any Dem votes.

That means the Dems will be shutting down the government.

btw, didn't Nancy INSIST Trump did NOT have enough votes in the House? Nancy sticks her foot in her mouth...again.

No genius, Nancy knew that would never be enough votes in the Senate to carry the resolution no matter what the House votes. Come January good luck with even getting anything our of the House to the Senate.

Back
Top Bottom