• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House passes bill to cap insulin prices

I don‘t suppose you actually read it. It doesn’t say anything. Nor does it commit any agency to do anything. Nor does it mandate any sort of discount.

But the headline was enough for the Fox Noise crowd. Which was the intention all along.

But when Congress actually proposed a real limit, Trump threatened a veto, and McConnell blocked the vote.

This was one of trump’s favorite tricks.

He was famous for making big shows of issuing executive orders on all sorts of things. Most of them were unenforceable or meaningless. Often the President didn’t have to authority to issue the decree, so nothing happened.

But Trump knew that his fans would cheer and clap and bellow about all the “accomplishments” of their fuhrer.

None of them ever bother to follow up on how things turned out.

And trump could always count on a bounce from his base simply by saying he did something. Results, like truth, never mattered to trump nation.
Evidently reading for comprehension isn't in your portfolio. The XO puts in motion the regulatory changes to reduce the cost of insulin and epinephrine for low income people Medicare or on public assistance.

Trump threatened to veto a bill essentially establishing government price controls for a broad range of pharmaceutical drugs. There is a world of difference between that and assisting indigent people to get insulin.

One in four Americans are skipping doses? That's 82 million people. How many are taking it and not skipping doses? Joe gives this idiot a lot of cover because he says so many dumb things, but the garbage that she blurts out, when she is able to make a sentence, is just incredibly stupid.
25% of people taking insulin. This wasn't hard to figure out from context.

You are strangely unconcerned. We're the richest nation in the world, you should have higher standards.

Does the government actually have the power to cap prices on independent businesses? Is that the route we want to begin going with our democracy?
For insulin? Yes, absolutely.

Because the product doesn't belong to those vultures. We paid for it. American taxpayers funded that R&D. It's ours, not theirs. The patent was sold to them for two dollars. Every last one of those vultures who jacked the prices up so that American citizens would die for lack of money? Drag them out into the street and shoot them. Not in the head, in the stomach, so they die slow, like all the diabetics they sentenced to a slow death.

Last edited:
I don't know the situation in other countries. But, diabetics can only really "skip" a dose if they also skip the meal that the insulin was for.

Anyway, politicians love to word things in a way that has much more impact, it's done a lot. For God's sake, the name of a bill they are touting usually says the exact opposite of what the bill will do. In the case of the Speaker, I think there is a bit higher of a burden to get it right.
Ate you trying to muddy the waters just for the sheer sake of chaos?

Big picture: People are skipping vital medication because they can't afford it. As much as one in four in the case of diabetics. This is a reason meds should be cheaper isn't it? Well congress just voted to make it so anyway.

Just what is this splitting hairs over the delivery of this information supposed to achieve aside from distraction?

I don't know the situation in other countries. But, diabetics can only really "skip" a dose if they also skip the meal that the insulin was for.

Anyway,
They can only *safely* skip a dose if they also skip the meal. Well, not even that either. It's not safe, that's why this practice is literally killing them.

"Anyway" he says. Doesn't give two shits about Americans dying over something that costs a dollar to make.

25% of people taking insulin. This wasn't hard to figure out from context.

You are strangely unconcerned. We're the richest nation in the world, you should have higher standards.
You seem to forget about the debt we've accumulated.

You seem to forget about the debt we've accumulated.
Irrelevant to the topic. We could manufacture insulin and give it to every American who needs it for a trivial sum. If you're worried about private property, recall that insulin's patent was given to pharmaceutical companies for two dollars. Not two million. Not two billion. Two dollars. It was developed at MIT. The taxpayers have funded substantial insulin research since then. These vultures have made enough profit off the corpses of Americans, and it's time to put a stop to it.

Really?

"President Trump on Tuesday will announce a prescription plan drastically reducing the cost of insulin for American seniors who rely on Medicare.

The deal struck with the nation’s insulin manufacturers and health care providers will limit the co-pay for a month’s supply of insulin to $35 — a 66 percent reduction to current costs, White House counselor Kellyanne Conway said.

The initiative will apply to the 1 in 3 Medicare enrollees who have diabetes, which is approximately 3 million people"

https://nypost.com/2020/05/26/trump-cuts-cost-of-insulin-for-medicare-enrollees-to-35-a-month/

Typical Democrat move, copy Trump then criticize Trump for not implementing the policy. Biden did the same thing falsely claiming Trump had no response to the Covid-19 pandemic then claiming credit for the vaccination program Trump created.
Biden literally hurt Americans to give Democrats a political cudgel.

The cruelty is the point.

Really. Most people are not on Medicare. The prior attempt at $35 limits on cost-sharing was met with a Trump veto threat.
No, they were met with a Biden veto.

Aren't there GOP voters who are diabetic and in need of lower prices for their life saving drugs?
12 Republican congresspersons were cognizant enough to recognize this.

Trump made an announcement.

Which was enough to fool his base. Trump make a lot of announcements like this and then did nothing.

Which is what he did this time.

And when Trump threatened to veto the very same thing, his minions either didn’t notice or bobbed their bobble heads.

There was no such deal. It never happened.

Just like his infrastructure plan.
Biden literally vetoed (rescinded) the rule that would lower insulin prices for some of the most desperate and poor users.

Why? It would have lowered prices for millions of the least rich Americans. Trump was a loser, but this was one of a handful of things that Biden screwed Americans on just to spite Trump.

So, 193 politicians do not want to lower the price of insulin? What a pack of Jackels.
Another Eye-opener >>> On Edit> Those 193 should just tie a mattress on their backs. That way they can service anybody with enough money.
View attachment 67383267
Wow. I had no idea the price difference in those countries were so massive.

After having watched Republicans refuse a vaccine during a pandemic to own the libs and take horse dewormer instead, seems entirely possible diabetic GOPers care more about critical race theory than cheaper meds.
Toxic conservatism at its finest.

Does the government actually have the power to cap prices on independent businesses? Is that the route we want to begin going with our democracy?
you mean like with ole Joe controlling gas prices?

The route we're on now, with insulin costing that much more than any other country, isn't 'democracy,' it's capitalism out of control. Sometimes it has to be reined in.
it's companies raping people (many kids) for $$$$.

Absolutely yes when it's a fact that the same medicines produced by the same companies sell for as much as 90% less in other countries. We are being screwed in this country and the politicians are raking in those lobbing contributions. We must first get the big money out of politics, then everything else will follow suit.

When lawmakers can propose and pass laws for the good of the people instead of the good of their own pockets and their donors, America will be in a much better place.

I am lucky that I have great benefits, my metformin is about 5 bucks a month. And, I could easily drive to Mexico and stock up.

But for those with type I, who need constant medication (like my nephew) via injection, this is a good thing.

And, I nailed my blood sugar today, so I am pretty happy.

The House of Representatives voted Thursday to approve legislation that would limit cost-sharing for insulin under private health insurance and Medicare. The vote was 232-193, with 12 Republican members joining their Democratic colleagues to pass the measure.

The Affordable Insulin Now Act would cap insulin prices at either $35 a month or 25% of an insurance plan's negotiated price — whichever is lower. The legislation aims to take effect in 2023 but its fate in the Senate remains unclear.
"This is a kitchen table issue, "House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said to reporters ahead of the bill's passage on Thursday.

"One in four Americans is forced to skip or ration doses of insulin and that's life-threatening," she said, noting the legislation "paves the way" for further action on negotiating lower drug prices beyond insulin.

Link

Every vote against this was cast by a Republican.
Of course they were. We slacker diabetics should either just die if we can't afford our needed insulin or just bend over and grab our diabetic shoe boot straps and yank up real hard! That'll take care of our problems and then it won't cut into big pharma's profits!

The poor babies are so set upon!

But there is that other possibility for the nay votes of so many R-winger MAGAt's.

They obviously voted NO because the Donald had, previously, already and miraculously, not to leave out, single handedly brought Insulin prices down so low it was flowing to us diabetic losers as "cheap as water" don't you know?!

Remember this:
“Drug prices will be coming down 80 or 90 percent. ... Nobody’s done it. … I’ll give you an example. Insulin, it’s going to — it was destroying families, destroying people. … I’m getting it for so cheap, it’s like water. You want to know the truth? So cheap.” ~ Donald Trump 9/29/2020
Why are the Dems and those 12 misguided Rino Republicans wasting all this time trying to pass legislation that is totally unneeded?

My total water bill for March was a whopping $6.82 on 700 Gallons used.

My Insulin prescription out of pocket cost, with the best insurance I could find, the price that I paid in March was $261 dollars. So any day now I expect a reimbursement check to come from my Insulin supplier in the amount of $254.18 since Donny Boy made that shit flow as cheap as water!

So do these giant insulin prices affect Southern families more so?

"Diabetes prevalence was highest in the primarily Southern and Appalachian states, including Mississippi, West Virginia, Louisiana, Texas, South Carolina, Alabama, and Georgia, where age-standardized diabetes prevalence was 15.8% to 16.6% for men and 12.4% to 14.8% for women, i.e., approximately 30% to 51% higher for ..."

So do these giant insulin prices affect Southern families more so?

"Diabetes prevalence was highest in the primarily Southern and Appalachian states, including Mississippi, West Virginia, Louisiana, Texas, South Carolina, Alabama, and Georgia, where age-standardized diabetes prevalence was 15.8% to 16.6% for men and 12.4% to 14.8% for women, i.e., approximately 30% to 51% higher for ..."
Irrelevant! Especially since Donny fixed insulin prices for everyone and if the folks needing it still can't afford what flows as cheap as water they can just tug up on those boot straps, which are also available all over!

Irrelevant! Especially since Donny fixed insulin prices for everyone and if the folks needing it still can't afford what flows as cheap as water they can just tug up on those boot straps, which are also available all over!
Biden rescinded insulin price controls passed under the Trump administration....

Great. Maybe people will stop taking Biden's advice and getting insulin in Canada. It's not like we have a surplus supply sitting around waiting for an increase in demand.
Danish Novo Nordisk, is ready and able to fill any demand for insulin

Back
Top Bottom