• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House passes bill to boost U.S. Postal Service amid Trump attacks

W_Heisenberg

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...196fa8-e3c6-11ea-8181-606e603bb1c4_story.html

The House voted Saturday on legislation to provide $25 billion to the U.S. Postal Service and explicitly prohibit any operational changes amid widespread Democratic fears that the Trump administration is trying to disenfranchise millions of Americans casting mail ballots this November.

The 257-to-150 vote was largely along party lines as Republicans accused Democrats of manufacturing “baseless conspiracy theories” about delays in postal deliveries to undermine President Trump’s reelection bid. The Republican-led Senate is unlikely to act on the legislation, which the White House has threatened to veto.

House passes $25B bill to block USPS changes ahead of election - ABC News

The House voted on Saturday to provide $25 billion in funding to the U.S. Postal Service while blocking operational changes that have slowed down service ahead of the election.

The proposal passed largely along party lines, 257-150, with 26 Republicans voting with Democrats.

Independent Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan voted against the bill, while one Republican, Rep. Francis Rooney, R-Fla., voted against it by proxy, via Rep. Don Beyer, D-Va.

--

Also, keep in mind Trump intends to veto:

White House threatens to veto Democrats' bill to provide more money to USPS - CNNPolitics

The White House issued a veto threat on Friday for House Democrats' proposed bill that would provide $25 billion to the US Postal Service.

The bill is expected to pass on Saturday largely along party lines, with Democrats supporting it. House GOP leaders are pushing their members to oppose the legislation, and it is not likely to be considered in the Republican-controlled Senate.
Saturday's vote, which interrupts the August recess, comes as Democrats warn that President Donald Trump is trying to squeeze the USPS to suppress the vote in November's election.

Trump admitted last week that he opposes much-needed funding for the USPS because he doesn't want to see it used for mail-in voting this November. The President has long made unfounded assertions that mail-in voting is prone to fraud, while Democrats have praised the practice as safe and secure, using their national convention this week to urge voters to request absentee ballots.

--

I'm glad to see 26 Republicans voting in support of the USPS.

As far as I'm concerned the Republicans who didn't vote for this bill, and Trump, and Trump supporters are treasonous, fascist, authoritarian, thuggish punks who hate the Republic and hate democracy.

There is no excuse...none...for voting against this bill. Every single one of those Republicans that voted against this bill do not deserve to hold office. Not a single one.

I'd be shocked if Moscow Mitch brings it up for a vote.

In other news, Dr. Birx agrees with Dr. Fauci that there in no reason you can't go out and vote in person.
But dang, glad we're spending more billions tilting at windmills.

In other news, Dr. Birx agrees with Dr. Fauci that there in no reason you can't go out and vote in person.

I keep forgetting they don't actually deal with actual news and facts at Fox News.

Here. Allow me to educate you on the truth:

USPS internal documents show decline to mail service - Business Insider

The House Oversight Committee on Saturday released internal USPS documents that reportedly show declines in the performance of the postal service beginning in July, a month after Postmaster General Louis DeJoy took office.

According to the portions of the internal USPS document released by lawmakers, first-class mail service dipped 8.1% below its baseline, marketing mail saw an 8.42% decline from baseline service, the delivery of periodicals saw a 9.57% decline, while priority mail service saw a 7.97% decline compared to its baseline number.

Deliveries via priority mail were on time over 90% of the time at the beginning of July, but were on time less than 80% of the time by the beginning of August, according to the USPS document. The USPS did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.

link to internal documents: https://oversight.house.gov/sites/d...– Service Performance Management 08-12-20.pdf

usps.jpg

Yeah, because every letter carrier knows the voting habits of each person on their route and will commit a federal crime to make sure Republicans don't get ballots. Get a grip.

I can't imagine why the Postal Union would endorse the challenger to the guy who is F'ing up the Postal Service to give himself a re-election advantage.

I think your side needs to make-up its mind. Trump has been telling us that mail-in voting is fraudulent, even though he does it every year. Then he tells us that voting in person is so fraudulent we need all kinds of sheriffs and monitors to make sure it isn't fraudulent. Well, which is it? Or, is it just voting all of a sudden is the problem and we need to do away with it and make him emperor for life?

Yeah, because every letter carrier knows the voting habits of each person on their route and will commit a federal crime to make sure Republicans don't get ballots. Get a grip.

I can't imagine why the Postal Union would endorse the challenger to the guy who is F'ing up the Postal Service to give himself a re-election advantage.

No you deliver all the ballots to your local DNC office and they take care of the rest.

no way the anti Americans in the Senate let this pass.

No you deliver all the ballots to your local DNC office and they take care of the rest.

So you think the USPS is going to deliver ballots to local DNC offices throughout the country so...somehow...the DNC does something to the ballots? What is it that you think all these local DNC offices are going to do?

So you think the USPS is going to deliver ballots to local DNC offices throughout the country so...somehow...the DNC does something to the ballots? What is it that you think all these local DNC offices are going to do?

I was kinda hinting at the possibility they would fill them out and mail them in. You ever watch The Sopranos?

I was kinda hinting at the possibility they would fill them out and mail them in. You ever watch The Sopranos?

So, this is not a serious concern then and you are aware of the various routine measures municipalities put into place to thwart fraud, correct?

So, this is not a serious concern then and you are aware of the various routine measures municipalities put into place to thwart fraud, correct?

I know how Democrats use "vote harvesting" in close elections. You do too I'm sure.

I know how Democrats use "vote harvesting" in close elections. You do too I'm sure.

I have no idea what you are insinuating and I don't think you know what you are talking about. There is no significant amount of fraud, either with mail-in-voting or in-person-voting that has been uncovered. Even Trump's assertion in 2017 that the 2016 was riddled with fraud couldn't be proven by his own hand-picked commission.

What you are doing is merely repeating the baseless assertions by the Dear Leader. Try not to be a Republican and be an independent -- independent thinker, that is.

OIP.4127dpYZjgq2dvR_I-b6OAHaHa

Tell me. How do Democrats use "vote harvesting" in close elections in a way that violates the law?

The last politician I heard clamoring for vote harvesting was Nunes.

Do the Dems really think throwing $25 billion at the USPS 3 months before the election is going to make any difference? This is a fake scandal.

BTW, $25 billion is $75 for every man, woman and child in the country. Or $200 for every likely voter. Money well spent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...196fa8-e3c6-11ea-8181-606e603bb1c4_story.html

--

White House threatens to veto Democrats' bill to provide more money to USPS - CNNPolitics

--

As far as I'm concerned the Republicans who didn't vote for this bill, and Trump, and Trump supporters are treasonous, fascist, authoritarian, thuggish punks who hate the Republic and hate democracy.

There is no excuse...none...for voting against this bill. Every single one of those Republicans that voted against this bill do not deserve to hold office. Not a single one.
So, the question is how much other Pelosi Pork was loading into the bill to buy LW wish list items? I'd bet it's not a "clean bill".

So, the question is how much other Pelosi Pork was loading into the bill to buy LW wish list items? I'd bet it's not a "clean bill".

The question is why do Trump and Trump supporters hate democracy.

Yeah, they finally achieved a milestone - our debt has officially surpassed our GDP.

--

--

So Pelosi is still playing chess while trump plays checkers, once again she puts trump and the Republican Senate in the spot of either passing a bill or being blamed when everything goes south. Mitch must be one very nervous girl these days, heck he cannot even get half the Repubs to play by his rules.

Back
Top Bottom