• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Panel Approves Bill To Study Slavery Reparations

I am a bit hesitant on this approach simply because nobody seems to be able to agree on what appropriate reparations would be. If there was a clear policy or spending goal then I could decide if I support it or not.

For example, if reparations means each black person gets $200k, thats a bit expensive and we probably cant afford that. If it means that there is a 75% discount to college costs for a couple of generations to help things achieve parity, than great lets do that.

I am a bit hesitant on this approach simply because nobody seems to be able to agree on what appropriate reparations would be. If there was a clear policy or spending goal then I could decide if I support it or not.

For example, if reparations means each black person gets $200k, thats a bit expensive and we probably cant afford that. If it means that there is a 75% discount to college costs for a couple of generations to help things achieve parity, than great lets do that.
What about other groups that are victims of multigenerational poverty?

It just sucks to be them, and they should have been born black?

If you do for one, you do for all.

What this is asking for is specific welfare, and the Federal government is only allowed to seek the general welfare.

It's not about black vs some other skin color, and it never was, it's about poverty and all the traps of poverty.

We need to seek to raise everyone out of poverty, and I think you are on the right track with the education system being the best path out of poverty, but we need to make it fair to everyone, the rich, the middle class, and the poor all deserve equal footing before the law.

I don't know what good will come of it, but I'll take a wait and see approach with the commission, and give them the benefit of the doubt that I have that any such thing as reparations could be made to people long dead, for the crimes of people long dead.

In America we ask for a merit based system, don't judge me as to the color of my skin, who my family is, how much, or little money I have. I ask to succeed or fail based upon my own individual merits.

While we should always temper judgement based upon merits with a health dose of forgiveness for passed transgressions, this seems to be judging a group of people by the color of their skin, saying they failed because of wrongs done to dead people, by dead people.
Reparations won't be for slavery - they will be for how Whites treat Blacks today. Eventually someone will figure out that Blacks (being taxpayers) shouldn't contribute to their own reparations. Therefore, it will come from Whites. Race-based redistribution, racial justice.

As more racial rhetoric comes from the federal government in the next few years, some Whites will be turned off and vote republican. This will buy some time by temporarily lessening the severity of race-based, anti-merit and anti-capitalist policies. At a certain point, Whites (capitalists) will simply be outvoted. See South Africa - they are taking the farms.

There should be a good 30 years left before America becomes untenable. Save and invest now in order to emigrate to a merit-based country. You should be investing at least 30% of gross income.

What about other groups that are victims of multigenerational poverty?

It just sucks to be them, and they should have been born black?

If you do for one, you do for all.

What this is asking for is specific welfare, and the Federal government is only allowed to seek the general welfare.

It's not about black vs some other skin color, and it never was, it's about poverty and all the traps of poverty.

We need to seek to raise everyone out of poverty, and I think you are on the right track with the education system being the best path out of poverty, but we need to make it fair to everyone, the rich, the middle class, and the poor all deserve equal footing before the law.
I think there needs to be mechanisms in place where anyone, if educated and works hard, has good opportunities in the sense that some racist person cannot easily hold them back. Right now we are doing that with statistics (affirmative action), but perhaps there is a smarter approach.

However, there is a problem in that no matter how much we do to help people, some people are going to be left behind and still be in poverty. This will be true so long as there is scarcity (which I doubt will change in our lifetimes) what do you do with people who think they need reparations because they weren't in a position to take advantage of things at previous times?

its a complicated issue.

Reparations won't be for slavery - they will be for how Whites treat Blacks today. Eventually someone will figure out that Blacks (being taxpayers) shouldn't contribute to their own reparations. Therefore, it will come from Whites. Race-based redistribution, racial justice.

As more racial rhetoric comes from the federal government in the next few years, some Whites will be turned off and vote republican. This will buy some time by temporarily lessening the severity of race-based, anti-merit and anti-capitalist policies. At a certain point, Whites (capitalists) will simply be outvoted. See South Africa - they are taking the farms.

There should be a good 30 years left before America becomes untenable. Save and invest now in order to emigrate to a merit-based country. You should be investing at least 30% of gross income.
The answer could come from the private sector, they are the ones with all the money, the Federal government has no money, the Fed keeping issuing it to buy the debt of the government because we can't meet our budget even with trillions of tax dollars.

Apple, Microsoft, Wal-mart, Amazon, Facebook, Google, Exxon etc... Could fund education for improverished people's, and hire them on to recoup their value investment in American education.

Why not!

They are the real winners, the rest of us just do the thankless work of holding together a broken system, while they reap the rewards.

I think there needs to be mechanisms in place where anyone, if educated and works hard, has good opportunities in the sense that some racist person cannot easily hold them back. Right now we are doing that with statistics (affirmative action), but perhaps there is a smarter approach.

However, there is a problem in that no matter how much we do to help people, some people are going to be left behind and still be in poverty. This will be true so long as there is scarcity (which I doubt will change in our lifetimes) what do you do with people who think they need reparations because they weren't in a position to take advantage of things at previous times?

its a complicated issue.

its a complicated issue.

People only like you make it complicated

1.)I'm against the spending that is nothing more than a pacifier thinking that the black people need a pacifier. This concept is racist.
2.)Can we deduct the money this will cost from your paycheck?

1.) no, its not
2.) what money? you might want to read my post slower next time instead of having a triggered meltdown LOL

The Confederacy explicitly fought for slavery

In the larger picture, pretending that celebrating that doesn’t matter is foolish
Is that what your revisionist history says?

Slavery was one factor, but the flag does not stand for slavery. The south wanted to succeed. The reason for them wanting to succeed had little, if not nothing, to do with slavery.

We would probably be a better nation today had the south won. The 10th amendment would remain strong. Slavery would have disappeared naturally, and we probably wouldn't have the same racial tensions we do now.

It’s a treasonous flag representing atrocity. If it makes you happy to see it that should be an end user issue. Rest of us are Americans.
I'm sorry the indoctrinated types believe that.

1.) no, its not
Sure. Nobody today is a victim of the past. Any attempt to give them something they didn't earn, is an indication you feel they are inferior. That is the true definition of racism, believe one race is superior than another.

2.) what money? you might want to read my post slower next time instead of having a triggered meltdown LOL
The money spent on the commission that will do nothing but waste that money, and give people jobs to sit on their butts.

1.) Sure. Nobody today is a victim of the past. Any attempt to give them something they didn't earn, is an indication you feel they are inferior. That is the true definition of racism, believe one race is superior than another.
2.)The money spent on the commission that will do nothing but waste that money, and give people jobs to sit on their butts.

1.) nothing you posted changes the fact its not racism, your feelings just dont matter to facts nor do they magically change the definition and reality LMAO
2.) more of your feelings but all government commissions and meetings etc have the potential to do that .. 🤷‍♂️

so here we are in the same spot, theres no facts that make this racist.

its a complicated issue.

The mechanism currently in place is a review of a persons achievements, typically in written form and organized as a resume or CV. What may have been the norm 60-100 years ago just simply isn't any longer. Minorities have achieved, advanced, and excelled in every area of gov't, public, and private enterprise. If a person wants to achieve water goal, there's literally NOTHING that can keep them back except self-defeatism. The only obstacles and roadblocks that exist, exist for US ALL.

The fact is, those still locked in the destructive cycle of generational poverty and gov't assistance, have been led at the local and state level by persons of color for over 40 years. These local leaders have been unable to solve the problem of what to do about people who don't want to learn or contribute to society and instead choose drugs, crimes, and thuggery as a profession.

One area I would like to see change is how prisons operate. There should be prisons that hold the worst of society and protect us from them. The rest of the prison system should be heavily integrated with educational learning, vocational training, transition back into society, and a parole system that continues to guide and counsel. While I know some of the systems are in place, they are not doing well enough to lower the numbers of return/repeat offenders.

Then by your own dumbass "reasoning", only those who celebrate slavery should have to pay reparations.

Oh, that’s more than fair. If you want to celebrate the Confederacy, then gee, there are consequences to that choice after all 😂

Is that what your revisionist history says?

Slavery was one factor, but the flag does not stand for slavery. The south wanted to succeed. The reason for them wanting to succeed had little, if not nothing, to do with slavery.

We would probably be a better nation today had the south won. The 10th amendment would remain strong. Slavery would have disappeared naturally, and we probably wouldn't have the same racial tensions we do now.

No, that’s what the Confederates themselves EXPLICITLY said. They were very open about the fact they were fighting for slavery.

The South wanted to SECEDE to keep owning slaves, as I said.

Lol no, we certainly wouldn’t be. But I’m not surprised Confederate fanboys like you actually think allowing slavery to continue to exist for decades longer would have somehow made racial tensions “better”.

The Native Americans are the only ones here that deserve reparations.
Disagree.
Didn't Native American tribes fight each other over land? It would hard to find any place on earth that the land was not taken over by a different group of people.

As far as the OP. If the Bill passes I will do what I can to vote out those who voted in favor of the Bill. I would imagine there are African Americans who are not descendant of slaves living in the US. Basically, imo I am not responsible for what people did in the past, even if it was socially acceptable back then.

No, that’s what the Confederates themselves EXPLICITLY said. They were very open about the fact they were fighting for slavery.
And you are naive enough to think because some have said that, they speak for all?

OK...

The South wanted to SECEDE to keep owning slaves, as I said.
The war didn't start as a war of slavery. It was about states rights. You know, the tenth amendment.

Lol no, we certainly wouldn’t be. But I’m not surprised Confederate fanboys like you actually think allowing slavery to continue to exist for decades longer would have somehow made racial tensions “better”.
I don't think it was right. At the time, it was the law of the land. The way the slaves were freed was a very bitter pill to take for many people. My point was that slavery would have gone away without all the violence and deaths.

And you are naive enough to think because some have said that, they speak for all?

OK...

The war didn't start as a war of slavery. It was about states rights. You know, the tenth amendment.

I don't think it was right. At the time, it was the law of the land. The way the slaves were freed was a very bitter pill to take for many people. My point was that slavery would have gone away without all the violence and deaths.

It doesn’t get much official than the state’s official declaration as to why they are leaving the United States. In which they explicitly stated they were seceding over slavery.

Actually, it was about one, very specific, “state’s right”.....the “state’s right” to own slaves.

Who cares? Seriously, why should anyone give a shit that the “poor poor” slave owners were upset that they could no longer profit off of human suffering? And there is absolutely no guarantee that the south would have willingly given up on slavery. You might be okay with another couple decades of brutal tyranny, but that doesn’t mean anyone else is obligated to.

This won't divide the nation further. No way. :rolleyes:

NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR THE SINS OF THEIR ANCESTORS.

This won't divide the nation further. No way. :rolleyes:

NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR THE SINS OF THEIR ANCESTORS.

We keep asking Black folks to pay for white supremacy’s sins. Only seems fair.

Were sufficient reparations ever made for the centuries of unpaid labor and all the rest?

I've heard that 40 acres and a mule didn't really happen.

Back
Top Bottom