• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Panel Approves Bill To Study Slavery Reparations

Schism

Destroyer of Propaganda
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A House committee on Wednesday advanced an effort to create a commission that could consider how to provide Black Americans with reparations for slavery.
The bill is commonly known as H.R. 40 and was first introduced in 1989 by former Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), referring to the Civil War promise to provide newly freed slaves with “40 acres and a mule.” That pledge was never fulfilled and was later rescinded by the U.S. government.
Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee voted 25 to 17 to advance the legislation, with all Republicans objecting.

“40 acres and a mule.” - I predict someone will conflate that with $1 million and a Range Rover.

The Native Americans are the only ones here that deserve reparations.

There was a lot of overlap in how Native Americans and African Americans were treated.

For example, in Oklahoma, both groups were massacred upon occasion by greedy thugs.

“40 acres and a mule.” - I predict someone will conflate that with $1 million and a Range Rover.

as soon as I saw "reparations" in the title i was against it and I am against reparations in general

but reading the article . . .so far i have ZERO issue with this bill since its only a promise to have a committee assess things and be able to suggest things . .

If passed, the bill would establish a 13-member commission to study the lasting effects of slavery and racial discrimination, and later present “appropriate remedies” to Congress. It’s unclear what those remedies would look like, who would qualify for them or if they would have any financial value.

The bill would also include considerations for a “national apology on behalf of the people of the United States for the perpetration of gross human rights violations and crimes against humanity on African slaves and their descendants.”

now I very well might be against what they suggest but I have no problem with the commission

There was a lot of overlap in how Native Americans and African Americans were treated.

For example, in Oklahoma, both groups were massacred upon occasion by greedy thugs.
That's criminal action. Not actions taken by and supported by our government.

Remember, slavery was legal along with indentured servitude. The USA didn't start slavery. Africans sold their own to the slave markers. Whites were slaves too. After all these years, how would someone determine who was eligible and who wasn't?

How many treaties with the native Americans have not been violated? How many treaties did we have with blacks?

as soon as I saw "reparations" in the title i was against it and I am against reparations in general

but reading the article . . .so far i have ZERO issue with this bill since its only a promise to have a committee assess things and be able to suggest things . .

now I very well might be against what they suggest but I have no problem with the commission
I'm against the spending that is nothing more than a pacifier thinking that the black people need a pacifier. This concept is racist.

Can we deduct the money this will cost from your paycheck?

That's criminal action. Not actions taken by and supported by our government.

Remember, slavery was legal along with indentured servitude. The USA didn't start slavery. Africans sold their own to the slave markers. Whites were slaves too. After all these years, how would someone determine who was eligible and who wasn't?

How many treaties with the native Americans have not been violated? How many treaties did we have with blacks?

The perpetrators got off scot free while the Tulsa cops happily looked the other way.....just as they did during numerous other terrorist attacks on African Americans. African Americans were denied their constitutional rights for a century even after the civil war. That is more than enough to warrant justice.

The fact that so many still celebrate those who explicitly went to war to protect slavery makes your whataboutisms rather meaningless.

Nothing like injecting another wedge issue into DC politics

The perpetrators got off scot free while the Tulsa cops happily looked the other way.....just as they did during numerous other terrorist attacks on African Americans. African Americans were denied their constitutional rights for a century even after the civil war. That is more than enough to warrant justice.

The fact that so many still celebrate those who explicitly went to war to protect slavery makes your whataboutisms rather meaningless.
We have a very colorful past with both good and bad things to find.

Good people like to be enlightened, learning from the past, and hold on to the good.

Evil people like to hold on to the bad, and flaunt it.

Which are you?

We have a very colorful past with both good and bad things to find.

Good people like to be enlightened, learning from the past, and hold on to the good.

Evil people like to hold on to the bad, and flaunt it.

Which are you?

When one celebrates the atrocities one loses the right to wail when the victims of said atrocities want justice to be done.

Deal with it.

When one celebrates the atrocities one loses the right to wail when the victims of said atrocities want justice to be done.

Deal with it.
Who is celebrating the atrocities? This is news to me.

The folks who still celebrate the Confederacy. Obviously.
You sure have an active imagination.

What few citizens still hold such views are very tiny. It takes an equally small person to worry about them, instead of larger problems, unless they directly affect you.

The vote to form a commission to study the issue tells us all we need to know. There is not enough interest in this to happen. But there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Individual reparations payments is ludicrous at this point. Programs like the recent loans to black farmers is one way to help the black community achieve economic equity. Opportunities specifically directed to blacks and programs directly targeted to black low income communities in areas like health care, preventing gang involvement and small business development would work. There is already a massive effort to improve educational opportunities and it has paid off. But we're not done yet.

Any of those efforts can be seen as reparations. We've already begun and some of the funds in the most recent stimulus act earmarks more. I'd like to see a lot more direct community involvement, more folks living in the low income areas not just protesting but being involved in what to do. They know best.

It only warrants justice for those who were alive at that time, and it only warrants punishment for those who committed the injustice. You want to take money from people who never owned slaves and give it to people who never were slaves, and that is because you are a collectivist, who thinks of people only in terms of which group they belong to.

I'm sorry if the Confederate Battle Flag offends some people. There are plenty of things that other people do that offends me.

What makes you special?

It's a very, very,small minded to think such things matter in the larger picture.

It only warrants justice for those who were alive at that time, and it only warrants punishment for those who committed the injustice. You want to take money from people who never owned slaves and give it to people who never were slaves, and that is because you are a collectivist, who thinks of people only in terms of which group they belong to.

Those who celebrate the atrocities are just as guilty as those who committed them.

I'm sorry if the Confederate Battle Flag offends some people. There are plenty of things that other people do that offends me.

What makes you special?

It's a very, very,small minded to think such things matter in the larger picture.

The Confederacy explicitly fought for slavery

In the larger picture, pretending that celebrating that doesn’t matter is foolish

What makes you special?

It’s a treasonous flag representing atrocity. If it makes you happy to see it that should be an end user issue. Rest of us are Americans.

I don't know what good will come of it, but I'll take a wait and see approach with the commission, and give them the benefit of the doubt that I have that any such thing as reparations could be made to people long dead, for the crimes of people long dead.

In America we ask for a merit based system, don't judge me as to the color of my skin, who my family is, how much, or little money I have. I ask to succeed or fail based upon my own individual merits.

While we should always temper judgement based upon merits with a health dose of forgiveness for passed transgressions, this seems to be judging a group of people by the color of their skin, saying they failed because of wrongs done to dead people, by dead people.

Back
Top Bottom