• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Overrides Governor's Veto of Concealed Carry Bill.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
SPRINGFIELD — The Illinois House, with no debate, voted 77-31 today to override Gov. Pat Quinn’s changes to a compromise plan to regulate the concealed carrying of firearms in the state.

580x386

The state Senate must also vote to override Quinn’s rewrite of the bill for the measure to become law. That vote is expected later today.
The measure got 89 votes in its original House roll call at the end of May. It needed 71 House votes to override Quinn’s amendatory veto.
Illinois is the only state that bans so-called concealed carry — but faces a court-mandated deadline of today to enact regulations after a federal appellate court ruled the state's prohibition unconstitutional.

If the full General Assembly overrides Quinn's rewrite, gun owners will not be able to carry a concealed firearm without a valid concealed carry license issued by the Illinois State Police — a process that state police would have 180 days to develop. Possessing a valid Firearms Owner Identification Card, or FOID card, is not sufficient on its own to carry a concealed firearm, state police say.

The cost for the new concealed carry license would be $150 for five years for Illinois residents, under the legislation. Applicants also would have to complete 16 hours of firearms training, including classroom and range instruction, to qualify. The legislation gives the state police 60 days to license firearm instructors and training courses, which the agency said it will place on its website, Illinois State Police Home Page

In what could be an effort to soften a large-scale repudiation of Quinn's rewrite led by the Democratic-controlled General Assembly, a key Senate committee is expected to take up the governor's changes in a separate bill. That measure, sponsored by Senate President John Cullerton, D-Chicago, is scheduled to be considered by the Senate Executive Committee prior to the override vote.....snip~

House overrides governor's veto of concealed carry bill - chicagotribune.com

Part one.....done. But now Cullerton is going going to try and push his measure over some change to the conceal carry. Why do I smell Bloomberg all up in this? Hope he doesn't delay this out any longer.

SPRINGFIELD — The Illinois House, with no debate, voted 77-31 today to override Gov. Pat Quinn’s changes to a compromise plan to regulate the concealed carrying of firearms in the state.

580x386

The state Senate must also vote to override Quinn’s rewrite of the bill for the measure to become law. That vote is expected later today.
The measure got 89 votes in its original House roll call at the end of May. It needed 71 House votes to override Quinn’s amendatory veto.
Illinois is the only state that bans so-called concealed carry — but faces a court-mandated deadline of today to enact regulations after a federal appellate court ruled the state's prohibition unconstitutional.

If the full General Assembly overrides Quinn's rewrite, gun owners will not be able to carry a concealed firearm without a valid concealed carry license issued by the Illinois State Police — a process that state police would have 180 days to develop. Possessing a valid Firearms Owner Identification Card, or FOID card, is not sufficient on its own to carry a concealed firearm, state police say.

The cost for the new concealed carry license would be $150 for five years for Illinois residents, under the legislation. Applicants also would have to complete 16 hours of firearms training, including classroom and range instruction, to qualify. The legislation gives the state police 60 days to license firearm instructors and training courses, which the agency said it will place on its website, Illinois State Police Home Page

In what could be an effort to soften a large-scale repudiation of Quinn's rewrite led by the Democratic-controlled General Assembly, a key Senate committee is expected to take up the governor's changes in a separate bill. That measure, sponsored by Senate President John Cullerton, D-Chicago, is scheduled to be considered by the Senate Executive Committee prior to the override vote.....snip~

House overrides governor's veto of concealed carry bill - chicagotribune.com

Part one.....done. But now Cullerton is going going to try and push his measure over some change to the conceal carry. Why do I smell Bloomberg all up in this? Hope he doesn't delay this out any longer.

And Cullerton will take up this new bill "before" the override vote. Imagine no override vote. I wish I was down there right now. Cullerton has done as much as any to destroy the public pension system, an infinitely greater problem than CC.

And Cullerton will take up this new bill "before" the override vote. Imagine no override vote. I wish I was down there right now. Cullerton has done as much as any to destroy the public pension system, an infinitely greater problem than CC.

Heya Nimby. :2wave: Well no matter what they do today with Conceal Carry they can't avoid passing it. This law went into effect July 1st. Which now will allow for more revenue coming thru our own state. So it will be a good day. Hopefully Cullerton is smart enough to stay away from Bloomberg. I figured Quinn would look at some old Bills and think he could slip something past.

In rejecting Quinn’s firearms ban, Senate Bill 681 will allow Illinois residents to purchase ammunition from businesses within or outside Illinois by mail or private shipment. The purchaser of ammunition will be required provide the seller with a copy of his or her valid Firearm Owner’s Identification Card and either a valid driver’s license or state identification card.

In the past, Illinois residents could only have ammunition shipped if it was purchased from out-of-state suppliers, effectively denying revenue to in-state vendors and retailers.

“Today is a good day for the Second Amendment in Illinois. We have scored a victory against short-sighted Chicago anti-gun policies,” Sen. Luechtefeld said. “The Governor overstepped his reach when he decided to rewrite this Senate bill and impose an assault weapons ban without the measure first being heard by the legislature.”

The new law will take effect July 1, 2013.....snip~

Illinois Lawmakers Override Governor

Illinois today became the last state in the country to legalize the concealed carry of guns after both the House and Senate rejected Gov. Pat Quinn’s attempt to rewrite the compromise bill.

Senators voted 41-17 to override Quinn’s amendatory veto of the bill. Earlier in the day, the House voted 77-31 to overturn the governor’s rewrite. The measure now becomes law, though the actual ability of gun owners to carry a concealed firearm remains months away.

The action by the Democratic General Assembly was a major repudiation of the actions of the state’s Democratic governor. Supporters of the compromise legislation accused Quinn of engaging in re-election politics rather than negotiating with lawmakers when the bill was crafted.

Illinois has been the only state that bans so-called concealed carry — but faced a court-mandated deadline of today to enact regulations after a federal appellate court ruled the state's prohibition unconstitutional.

Quinn lashed out at lawmakers from his Capitol office for refusing to go along with his proposed changes, saying they "surrendered to the National Rifle Association." .....snip~

General Assembly overrides governor's veto of concealed carry bill - chicagotribune.com

woohoo.gif
Last but not least.....Illinois joins the 22nd Century.
danceshout.gif

Quinn would do his constituents a MUCH better service if he reminded the legislature that they've surrendered to public sector unions.

Illinois today became the last state in the country to legalize the concealed carry of guns after both the House and Senate rejected Gov. Pat Quinn’s attempt to rewrite the compromise bill.

Senators voted 41-17 to override Quinn’s amendatory veto of the bill. Earlier in the day, the House voted 77-31 to overturn the governor’s rewrite. The measure now becomes law, though the actual ability of gun owners to carry a concealed firearm remains months away.

The action by the Democratic General Assembly was a major repudiation of the actions of the state’s Democratic governor. Supporters of the compromise legislation accused Quinn of engaging in re-election politics rather than negotiating with lawmakers when the bill was crafted.

Illinois has been the only state that bans so-called concealed carry — but faced a court-mandated deadline of today to enact regulations after a federal appellate court ruled the state's prohibition unconstitutional.

Quinn lashed out at lawmakers from his Capitol office for refusing to go along with his proposed changes, saying they "surrendered to the National Rifle Association." .....snip~

General Assembly overrides governor's veto of concealed carry bill - chicagotribune.com

woohoo.gif
Last but not least.....Illinois joins the 22nd Century.
danceshout.gif

Are these permits shall issue or may-issue (meaning no chance in hell) like here in MD?

Are these permits shall issue or may-issue (meaning no chance in hell) like here in MD?

Heya Lachean. :2wave: Well they are still making it difficult.....also they want licensed LE instructors. Which they would not approve some that were military and yet licensed instructors in other states. Plus Emanuel has a few tricks up his sleeve too. Course there are more of those alleged safety zones.

gun owners will not be able to carry a concealed firearm without a valid concealed carry license issued by the Illinois State Police — a process that state police would have 180 days to develop. Possessing a valid Firearms Owner Identification Card, or FOID card, is not sufficient on its own to carry a concealed firearm, state police say.

The cost for the new concealed carry license would be $150 for five years for Illinois residents, under the legislation. Applicants also would have to complete 16 hours of firearms training, including classroom and range instruction, to qualify. The legislation gives the state police 60 days to license firearm instructors and training courses, which the agency said it will place on its website, Illinois State Police Home Page.....snip~

Quinn would do his constituents a MUCH better service if he reminded the legislature that they've surrendered to public sector unions.

Heya Maggie. :2wave: Well he did say this.....after he stated he came up with the idea that a person could carry multiple weapons or more than one gun. That his bill would make the public safer. I wonder if he could hear himself talk? :doh

"Following a weekend of horrific violence in Chicago in which at least 70 people were shot and 12 killed, this was the wrong move for public safety in Illinois," Quinn said.

Quinn said he would "keep fighting" for changes that would give Illinois a "better, more responsible concealed carry law in Illinois.".....snip~ :roll:

Sounds like may-issue. So unless you are buddy-buddy with the cops your not going to get one just like California. The San Diego Sheriff dept ( when I was station at Camp Pendleton) turn my application down due to me not have enough training with firearms. I guess being a MP in the Marine Corps just means I'm arrogant about firearms.

Last edited:
Heya Maggie. :2wave: Well he did say this.....after he stated he came up with the idea that a person could carry multiple weapons or more than one gun. That his bill would make the public safer. I wonder if he could hear himself talk? :doh

"Following a weekend of horrific violence in Chicago in which at least 70 people were shot and 12 killed, this was the wrong move for public safety in Illinois," Quinn said.

Quinn said he would "keep fighting" for changes that would give Illinois a "better, more responsible concealed carry law in Illinois.".....snip~ :roll:

You should see the press conference we was surrounded by children holding bumper stickers about common sense gun laws. It made me sick.

I believe that May-issue should be ruled unconstitutional. Since if you meet all the legal requirements the cops can still infringe on your rights.

public servants should be controlled by any laws they impose on their masters-the citizens. If citizens cannot own 15 shot magazines then public servants cannot use them and the pimps in office cannot be guarded by those carrying such weapons

You should see the press conference we was surrounded by children holding bumper stickers about common sense gun laws. It made me sick.

Heya CPG. :2wave: Not surprising he would follow the tactic of exploiting children to further his personal agenda while he is in office. I was just surprised he didn't have the Sandy Hook people come on down and play victim for him.

Although I do have one question for all those on the left......Where's Gabby Ass Now. :lol:

I believe that May-issue should be ruled unconstitutional. Since if you meet all the legal requirements the cops can still infringe on your rights.

If you're familiar with the Woolard case, it was deemed unconstitutional by my disctrict court.... then the 4CA said otherwise, then the supreme court refused to hear the case letting the unconstitutional "good and substantial reason" clause persist.

****ing Obama appointed judges.

Even shall issue "rights" permits should be ruled unconstitutional. An individual constitutional right should not require taking a class, passing a test or paying a fee. Those requirements are fine for a state issued privilege, e.g. a driver's license or a hunting license, but not for a right, e.g. go to church, or to have an attorney present during police questioning. The nonsense that only guns (and then only some guns) are really now privileges that you must "qualify for", when the constitution clearly states that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed" is insane.

If you're familiar with the Woolard case, it was deemed unconstitutional by my disctrict court.... then the 4CA said otherwise, then the supreme court refused to hear the case letting the unconstitutional "good and substantial reason" clause persist.

****ing Obama appointed judges.

True, I'm glad that even though WA is liberal Stronghold. It is a shall-issue state. Even though I Open Carry for the most part.

Even shall issue "rights" permits should be ruled unconstitutional. An individual constitutional right should not require taking a class, passing a test or paying a fee. Those requirements are fine for a state issued privilege, e.g. a driver's license or a hunting license, but not for a right, e.g. go to church, or to have an attorney present during police questioning. The nonsense that only guns (and then only some guns) are really now privileges that you must "qualify for", when the constitution clearly states that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed" is insane.

Speaking to the Choir.

True, I'm glad that even though WA is liberal Stronghold. It is a shall-issue state. Even though I Open Carry for the most part.

I really have to move, I just don't want to job search out of state. Huge PITA

Well, they did keep 3 things Quinn was trying to get implemented.

Senators, however, did approve a separate bill containing three minor changes that Quinn recommended.

The measure, awaiting a House vote, would require people stopped by law enforcement to immediately declare they were possessing a concealed firearm. It also would not require signage in most public places where firearms are prohibited, including schools, mass transit and government buildings. The bill also would require reporting of people adjudicated as mentally ill to the Illinois State Police, which is in charge of licensing concealed firearms.....snip~

Now what do you think about immediately declaring if you have a concealed firearm if stopped by the Cops? ANother way to check thru traffic violations.....huh? Guess that would include any time a Cop or any LE stops someone.....huh?

Last edited:
I really have to move, I just don't want to job search out of state. Huge PITA

Come to WA. We could use more Liberal hunters up here.

Well, they did keep 3 things Quinn was trying to get implemented.

Senators, however, did approve a separate bill containing three minor changes that Quinn recommended.

The measure, awaiting a House vote, would require people stopped by law enforcement to immediately declare they were possessing a concealed firearm. It also would not require signage in most public places where firearms are prohibited, including schools, mass transit and government buildings. The bill also would require reporting of people adjudicated as mentally ill to the Illinois State Police, which is in charge of licensing concealed firearms.....snip~

Not the worst things in the world... I was worried his high cap magazine ban, # of magazines limited and number of firearms carried would be implemented. Many I know who concealed carry keep a back up gun for a "New York Reload"

Come to WA. We could use more Liberal hunters up here.

Know any company that needs an Accountant? Though I have management experience I'd take a staff accountant position at this point to get out of MD.

Not the worst things in the world... I was worried his high cap magazine ban, # of magazines limited and number of firearms carried would be implemented. Many I know who concealed carry keep a back up gun for a "New York Reload"

Know any company that needs an Accountant? Though I have management experience I'd take a staff accountant position at this point to get out of MD.

You can always try Boeing, Starbucks, Microsoft, Nintendo ( there North American Headquarter is in Redmond)

Well, they did limit magazines in Illinois.

Here is Illinois Gun Laws..... Read them and weep. Which will include Chicago's. Which has banned certain weapons they consider to be Assault and will include clips over 12 for Chicago. Anything over 10 rounds for Cook County. 15 rounds for Aurora Ill.

Also Concerning FOID cards.

To possess or purchase firearms or ammunition, Illinois residents must have a Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card, which is issued by the Illinois State Police. The police must issue FOID cards to eligible applicants. An applicant is disqualified if he or she has been convicted of a felony or an act of domestic violence, is the subject of an order of protection, has been convicted of assault or battery or been a patient in a mental institution within the last five years, has been adjudicated as a mental defective, or is an illegal immigrant. There are additional requirements for applicants under the age of 21.

When a firearm is sold or transferred, the buyer is required to present their FOID card. This applies to private sales between individuals as well as to sales by Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders. For private sales, the seller is required to keep a record of the transfer for at least 10 years. For FFL sales, the seller must retain the federal Form 4473 for at least 20 years. For firearm sales by an FFL holder, or at a gun show, the seller must perform an automated dial-up check with the State Police, to verify that the FOID card is valid, and to redo the background check of the buyer; this additional checking is known as the Firearm Transfer Inquiry Program (FTIP). The buyer is also required to present their FOID card when purchasing ammunition.

In 2011, in the case of People v. Holmes, the Illinois Supreme Court ruled that non-Illinois residents who are permitted to possess a firearm in their home state are not required to have an Illinois FOID card.

Illinois does not have state preemption of firearm laws, and some local governments have passed laws that are more restrictive than those of the state.

Chicago requires that all firearms be registered with the police department. Gun owners are required to have a Chicago Firearm Permit. The city has banned the possession of certain semi-automatic firearms that it defines as assault weapons, as well as magazines that can hold more than 12 rounds of ammunition. Chicago residents must "immediately" report a firearm that is stolen or lost, and must report the transfer of a firearm at least 48 hours in advance. Chicago also prohibits the sale of firearms within city limits.

Cook County has banned the possession of certain semi-automatic firearms that it has defined as assault weapons, and magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. Starting in August 2013, residents must report to the county sheriff within 48 hours any firearms that are stolen, lost, transferred, or sold. The sheriff may share this information with other law enforcement agencies. In Cook County, local laws, such as those of Chicago, take precedence over county laws that regulate similar matters.

Other municipalities have also enacted various firearm restrictions. Lack of preemption makes it difficult to travel throughout Illinois with a firearm while being sure that no laws are being broken.

Current laws

In Chicago, gun owners are required to have a Chicago Firearm Permit, which costs $100 and must be renewed every three years. Before getting the permit, the resident must complete a training course that includes at least four hours of classroom training and one hour of range time. Each gun must be registered with the Chicago Police Department at a one-time cost of $15 per gun, and an annual registration report must be filed every year. Gun possession is permitted only inside a dwelling, not in a garage or on the outside grounds of the property. Only one gun at a time may be kept in a usable state. Chicago's ordinances are being challenged in court, with plaintiffs alleging that they are so restrictive and burdensome as to interfere with citizens' Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

Highland Park bars handgun possession unless the resident has obtained a permit from the Highland Park Police. The permit must be renewed every year, and the resident must attend a gun safety and training session, given by the police, every three years.....snip~

Gun laws in Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, they did limit magazines in Illinois.

Here is Illinois Gun Laws..... Read them and weep. Which will include Chicago's. Which has banned certain weapons they consider to be Assault and will include clips over 12 for Chicago. Anything over 10 rounds for Cook County. 15 rounds for Aurora Ill.

Also Concerning FOID cards.

To possess or purchase firearms or ammunition, Illinois residents must have a Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card, which is issued by the Illinois State Police. The police must issue FOID cards to eligible applicants. An applicant is disqualified if he or she has been convicted of a felony or an act of domestic violence, is the subject of an order of protection, has been convicted of assault or battery or been a patient in a mental institution within the last five years, has been adjudicated as a mental defective, or is an illegal immigrant. There are additional requirements for applicants under the age of 21.

When a firearm is sold or transferred, the buyer is required to present their FOID card. This applies to private sales between individuals as well as to sales by Federal Firearms License (FFL) holders. For private sales, the seller is required to keep a record of the transfer for at least 10 years. For FFL sales, the seller must retain the federal Form 4473 for at least 20 years. For firearm sales by an FFL holder, or at a gun show, the seller must perform an automated dial-up check with the State Police, to verify that the FOID card is valid, and to redo the background check of the buyer; this additional checking is known as the Firearm Transfer Inquiry Program (FTIP). The buyer is also required to present their FOID card when purchasing ammunition.

In 2011, in the case of People v. Holmes, the Illinois Supreme Court ruled that non-Illinois residents who are permitted to possess a firearm in their home state are not required to have an Illinois FOID card.

Illinois does not have state preemption of firearm laws, and some local governments have passed laws that are more restrictive than those of the state.

Chicago requires that all firearms be registered with the police department. Gun owners are required to have a Chicago Firearm Permit. The city has banned the possession of certain semi-automatic firearms that it defines as assault weapons, as well as magazines that can hold more than 12 rounds of ammunition. Chicago residents must "immediately" report a firearm that is stolen or lost, and must report the transfer of a firearm at least 48 hours in advance. Chicago also prohibits the sale of firearms within city limits.

Cook County has banned the possession of certain semi-automatic firearms that it has defined as assault weapons, and magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. Starting in August 2013, residents must report to the county sheriff within 48 hours any firearms that are stolen, lost, transferred, or sold. The sheriff may share this information with other law enforcement agencies. In Cook County, local laws, such as those of Chicago, take precedence over county laws that regulate similar matters.

Other municipalities have also enacted various firearm restrictions. Lack of preemption makes it difficult to travel throughout Illinois with a firearm while being sure that no laws are being broken.

Current laws

In Chicago, gun owners are required to have a Chicago Firearm Permit, which costs $100 and must be renewed every three years. Before getting the permit, the resident must complete a training course that includes at least four hours of classroom training and one hour of range time. Each gun must be registered with the Chicago Police Department at a one-time cost of $15 per gun, and an annual registration report must be filed every year. Gun possession is permitted only inside a dwelling, not in a garage or on the outside grounds of the property. Only one gun at a time may be kept in a usable state. Chicago's ordinances are being challenged in court, with plaintiffs alleging that they are so restrictive and burdensome as to interfere with citizens' Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

Highland Park bars handgun possession unless the resident has obtained a permit from the Highland Park Police. The permit must be renewed every year, and the resident must attend a gun safety and training session, given by the police, every three years.....snip~

Gun laws in Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How do you tolerate living in Chicago MMC?

Back
Top Bottom