• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Might Not Vote on Obama’s Syria Resolution

ChezC3

Relentless Thinking Fury
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
House Might Not Vote on Obama's Syria Resolution | National Review Online

This would be the absolutely WORST thing the House could do. A House vote against Syrian action would be the BEST thing for this Country. It would show that this is still -- albeit in some miniscule, ridiculously impuissant way -- a country OF THE PEOPLE.

The House not voting is tantamount to giving Obama unquestionable and unlimited authority.

This would be the absolutely WORST thing the House could do. A House vote against Syrian action would be the BEST thing for this Country. It would show that this is still -- albeit in some miniscule, ridiculously impuissant way -- a country OF THE PEOPLE.

The House not voting is tantamount to giving Obama unquestionable and unlimited authority.

With Republican leadership as it is we might as well bend over
and kiss our butts goodbye!

Boehner is a useless speaker & Cantors not much better.
We as a country deserve better but it isn't gonna happen.:cry:

With Republican leadership as it is we might as well bend over
and kiss our butts goodbye!

Boehner is a useless speaker & Cantors not much better.
We as a country deserve better but it isn't gonna happen.:cry:

A country deserves the government it votes for!

“I just don’t believe that if defeat is certain, the House leadership will want to see a president utterly humiliated on the House floor in a public vote,” one top aide to the Republican leadership told me.

Well, I can only imagine the exploding heads when reading that.

Which should be evident to everyone, excepting partisans of course, that the country is getting trashed by both parties and our democratic system is not working. I still maintain that Jimmy Carter is right on this.

Which should be evident to everyone, excepting partisans of course, that the country is getting trashed by both parties and our democratic system is not working. I still maintain that Jimmy Carter is right on this.
I've been waiting for Jimmah to be right on something.

I've been waiting for Jimmah to be right on something.

Well, he was ahead of his time on solar. Wasn't he the one who had solar panels put on the roof of the White House so many years ago? I think they have since been removed, but he did start a trend that is getting more serious attention now. Let's give him that one. :thumbs:

Well, he was ahead of his time on solar. Wasn't he the one who had solar panels put on the roof of the White House so many years ago? I think they have since been removed, but he did start a trend that is getting more serious attention now. Let's give him that one. :thumbs:
Oh, I'd give Jimmy a few pats on the back, but not all that many. Camp David was pretty good. What he's done since I'm not too heady about.

Plus it's a way for them to cover their butts. If they vote for it, they get lots of people mad at them, if they vote against it they get lots of the base mad at them. This way they don't have to take a stand one way or the other. Then if Obama does attack they can use it for political reasons.

Oh, I'd give Jimmy a few pats on the back, but not all that many. Camp David was pretty good. What he's done since I'm not too heady about.

He's done some pretty good things with the Habitat for Humanity.

Offset, in my opinion, by what the SPLC has become.

I'm not really up on all that goes on. There's a man at Church that is heavily into the H.H. They build 1 or 2 houses for people every year.

The Senate and the WH are playing these guys that if they don't vote for it.....that it will make the US look weak. But more importantly and in truth it would make Obama look weak and he would be treated as so for the rest of his term. By those overseas and those here. He wouldn't have much weight going forward if they don't support him.

But this would still humiliate him even if they didn't take a vote. MS media will jump all over it.

I just don’t believe that if defeat is certain, the House leadership will want to see a president utterly humiliated on the House floor in a public vote,” one top aide to the Republican leadership told me.

An attempt would be made to let the whole thing go away. I don’t think it would be done to give the GOP any extra leverage in debt-ceiling or budget negotiations — Obama isn’t the grateful type — but simply because the weakness it would demonstrate wouldn’t be good for the country,” the aide told me.....snip~

I'm not really up on all that goes on. There's a man at Church that is heavily into the H.H. They build 1 or 2 houses for people every year.
Anytime anyone does something helpful, expecting nothing in return but the opportunity to serve again, has my respect.

Yes he did, one of the first things Reagan did though was remove them and turn the thermostat back up. He was pro big oil. Whereas Carter had that big energy independent policy that he said would have us , I don't recall, something like 50% by 2000' but big oil wasnt going to have that.

Plus it's a way for them to cover their butts. If they vote for it, they get lots of people mad at them, if they vote against it they get lots of the base mad at them. This way they don't have to take a stand one way or the other. Then if Obama does attack they can use it for political reasons.

then all of them need to be dismissed from office.

The Senate and the WH are playing these guys that if they don't vote for it.....that it will make the US look weak. But more importantly and in truth it would make Obama look weak and he would be treated as so for the rest of his term. By those overseas and those here. He wouldn't have much weight going forward if they don't support him.

But this would still humiliate him even if they didn't take a vote. MS media will jump all over it.

I just don’t believe that if defeat is certain, the House leadership will want to see a president utterly humiliated on the House floor in a public vote,” one top aide to the Republican leadership told me.

An attempt would be made to let the whole thing go away. I don’t think it would be done to give the GOP any extra leverage in debt-ceiling or budget negotiations — Obama isn’t the grateful type — but simply because the weakness it would demonstrate wouldn’t be good for the country,” the aide told me.....snip~

Real power is having every justification for attacking, for crushing, for destroying and yet, staying your hand. When Syria or anyone in the world have a clear realization that the tides of their breath rise and fall on the whim of the US, that the only reason they are here on this little planet of ours is because we will it, we allow it, and they're on borrowed time that we've lent them -- that's strength, not weakness.

Back
Top Bottom