• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

House Leaders Are Dealt a Rare Defeat on Spending Bill

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The times they are a changing! For the first time since the "Conservative Revolution" back in 1995 Republicans have broken ranks and teamed with Democrats to defeat a spending bill. Check this out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/17/p...&en=3bee609bb1cb965e&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Published: November 17, 2005

WASHINGTON, Nov. 17 - House Republican leaders were dealt a rare defeat today as Democrats and about two dozen Republicans teamed up to kill a $142 billion health and education spending bill.

Many members said the bill's defeat, by 224 to 209 votes, was the first rejection of an appropriation measure they could recall since Republicans assumed House control in 1995. The loss left the leadership uncertain whether to bring up another budget measure, which calls for $50 billion in cuts over five years.

"We are going to regroup," Representative Deborah Pryce of Ohio, the chairman of the Republican conference, said after a vote that left many members of the party stunned in their seats on the House floor.

The outcome underlined the divide confounding House Republicans as conservatives press for lower spending and moderates resist cuts in social safety net programs. It is being compounded by worry about the midterm elections next year and about slumping public approval for the Bush administration as well as aggressive resistance by Democrats.

Do you think that Republicans in this forum will spin this into a Conservative "VICTORY"?

Let's mark this day as the beginning of a bright new future for America, Americans and especially for Progressives.

I look forward to your denials....let the :spin: begin!

There has been real cooperation lately in Congress, John McCain's torture legislation, the Iraq measure this week, now this spending bill defeat. I hope it continues. Maybe its the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

tryreading said:
There has been real cooperation lately in Congress, John McCain's torture legislation, the Iraq measure this week, now this spending bill defeat. I hope it continues. Maybe its the beginning of a beautiful relationship.
I think that without Bush and Delay trying to divide everyone in congress it is possible to find common ground.

scottyz said:
I think that without Bush and Delay trying to divide everyone in congress it is possible to find common ground.

A wrench was thrown into the session yesterday, a red herring by the Republicans to force a vote on immediate withdrawal from Iraq. Let's hope that it was a hiccup, and not an end to the budding spirit of cooperation that seemed to offer a little hope that these people, who are all over 18, might start acting like it a little more often.

26 X World Champs said:
The times they are a changing! For the first time since the "Conservative Revolution" back in 1995 Republicans have broken ranks and teamed with Democrats to defeat a spending bill. Check this out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/17/p...&en=3bee609bb1cb965e&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Do you think that Republicans in this forum will spin this into a Conservative "VICTORY"?

Let's mark this day as the beginning of a bright new future for America, Americans and especially for Progressives.

I look forward to your denials....let the :spin: begin!

Republicans show their true colors: Pandering.

They pass tax cuts that throw our country into debt that will drag down the next generation. They talk tough about cutting spending to balance the budget, but when push comes to show, ***** out.

Bush and the Repbulicans. The borrow and spend party. The leaders of the pass the buck generation.

Iriemon said:
Republicans show their true colors: Pandering.

They pass tax cuts that throw our country into debt that will drag down the next generation. They talk tough about cutting spending to balance the budget, but when push comes to show, ***** out.

Bush and the Repbulicans. The borrow and spend party. The leaders of the pass the buck generation.

You have hijacked the phrase I made up, my friend, but that's okay, you're welcome to it.

Yeah - Tax and Spend DemocratsTax and Spend DemocratsTax and Spend DemocratsTax and Spend DemocratsTax and Spend DemocratsTax and Spend DemocratsTax and Spend DemocratsTax and Spend DemocratsTax and Spend Democrats!

You would think that after about four decades of a Congress controlled by Democrats, when the Republicans finally got control, they wouldn't do the same thing, on a much higher level, financed by debt. For shame.

Back
Top Bottom