• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House Jan. 6 committee hearing postponed because of Hurricane Ian

If I understand what you are asking, they could easily send their proof to the DOJ. Did that answer what you were asking? Basically the same mechanism that is being used to jail people for the riot on Jan 6th.

Yes. That's how its done. The Committee informs the public, and does criminals referrals. That's exactly what's occurring.

This panel was never about the people. This panel was to keep Trump from office, and if he was in jail, all the better. An educated populace wouldn't entail the severe bias we see in the media outlets. News, should be news. Factual and covering all points.

Of course it is. The voters can do more than DOJ, as they can negate MAGA itself. And how is keeping Trump out of office a bad thing? He's the MAGA ringleader, the chief election denier.

The problem isn't just Trump though, but also the ideology. That's what led us to 1/6 and election denial.

They tried, with two impeachments.

Yes. But the Republicans protected Trump. Still, it was put to record including GOP obstruction.

What else is this panel going to do on the political scale other than send findings to the DOJ?

It's almost getting to that point I think, but witnesses and revelations still continue to be presented. It's still evolving. Witnesses have come forward since the last Hearing. In fact, there's been a progression of witnesses coming forth as the Hearings have taken place.

But also importantly, besides Trump there's still a great deal of info still coming-out on other MAGA individuals too. That's very important, as well. This thing is looking much bigger than realized, including involving GOP politicos & Congressmen. Rodger Stone & Mark meadows seem to be in the thick of it.

As long as facts are coming forward, the Committee has a valid reason to be. They've already done criminal referrals to DOJ. The Committee does not have to cease for DOJ to act. They can work in tandem (& are).

The committee realizes that hard core trump supporters will never agree. The committee has expressed that people need to know what happened. If there are convictions, people need to know why. Reasonable people, that is.

And importantly, the Committee is providing a historical record, a deposit of data & info.

Yes. That's how its done. The Committee informs the public, and does criminals referrals. That's exactly what's occurring.
Remember we are talking about them pausing the hearing for maximum exposure here, and as of yet I have seen nothing the DOJ is indicting Trump on.
Of course it is. The voters can do more than DOJ, as they can negate MAGA itself. And how is keeping Trump out of office a bad thing? He's the MAGA ringleader, the chief election denier.

The problem isn't just Trump though, but also the ideology. That's what led us to 1/6 and election denial.
Here is where we disagree. I think the problem is Trump, not MAGA, or his policies. I thought quite a few of his policies were A-ok!
Yes. But the Republicans protected Trump. Still, it was put to record including GOP obstruction.
This could be said of both parties, just as easily.
It's almost getting to that point I think, but witnesses and revelations still continue to be presented. It's still evolving. Witnesses have come forward since the last Hearing. In fact, there's been a progression of witnesses coming forth as the Hearings have taken place.
They should hurry. Justice shouldn't wait on the court of public opinion, and neither should Congress when dispensing it.
But also importantly, besides Trump there's still a great deal of info still coming-out on other MAGA individuals too. That's very important, as well. This thing is looking much bigger than realized, including involving GOP politicos & Congressmen. Rodger Stone & Mark meadows seem to be in the thick of it.
They could very well spend the next 10 years looking into government corruption but we all know it exists, and we all know that both parties are culpable and neck deep in it.
As long as facts are coming forward, the Committee has a valid reason to be. They've already done criminal referrals to DOJ. The Committee does not have to cease for DOJ to act. They can work in tandem (& are).
As long as the realization is that when the shoe is on the other foot, the other side will do the same.
At some point, it just needs to stop. The bitter divide isn't helping the American populace.

At this point you might be right. Pretty much everyone has picked their camp. But the documents & testimony & other evidence is now available to the DOJ.
I'm sure that's true. But this is a political activity, not a judicial one. There is no reason to prosecute or sue Trump. It accomplishes nothing. If the idea is to keep Trump off the ballot, and I think it is, it is a mistake on the part of the democrats. I think Trump would be the easiest republican to beat. Like, the democrats, I hope Trump is not on the ballot.

And of course they're all not going to speak to Biden directly, the calls go through his office. But, he may personally entertain some of the larger cities that effect the largest populations.
Yep, like St Pete, Tampa, Naples, Port Charlotte and Sarasota are the major ones

I'm sure that's true. But this is a political activity, not a judicial one. There is no reason to prosecute or sue Trump. It accomplishes nothing. If the idea is to keep Trump off the ballot, and I think it is, it is a mistake on the part of the democrats. I think Trump would be the easiest republican to beat. Like, the democrats, I hope Trump is not on the ballot.
The House can only investigate and cannot prosecute.

I didn't say it didn't matter, the DOJ has by not prosecuting ...
Typically the indictments come after the investigation, in this universe.

Fishking, we all see the videos of the last two years
No you haven't. You've seen a set of videos from one 2 hr event for two years. Everything I said has been sustained over decades.
I don't buy your characterization.
There is no "buying" anything. Everything I stated was a fact. Which is why you passed on my challenge, because there is no denying what I said.
And as to impeachment, you make it sound like it was a bad thing. It was deserved. The Dems are indeed going after MAGA, and many Americans - the majority - want them to do just that. I'm not sure MAGA supporters see what they're up against. They're not up against mere political whims, but America herself. They seem to be blind to that.
Deserved from day 1? No, not even a little.

--

I suspect the committee believes their message would not be effective given the media's likely focus on hurricane Ian tomorrow.
Since a large part of their purpose is to communicate their findings to the people of the USA, that makes sense.

Thanks for the honest answer, it is much more refreshing to discuss the actualities of things with people that can see that side without always attempting to deflect or blame others when hypocrisy shines brightly all amongst those political partisans.
If the Jan 6th panel was and is right, they can dispense justice and get rid of Trump in one fell swoop.
If they are not, then this is just using media in an attempt to sway others using the court of public opinion.

See the difference?
I've read Chomsky's replies, and I agree with all of them, but I'll add that you're incorrectly viewing this in black and white terms.

Politics is a given here. Congress is elected. You can't tie the process to politics. The politics is already there.

That the committee is taking advantage of political timing should be expected. I've been saying that for a long time, and is one reason I didn't complain about the committee's long period of what looked to be inaction.

Your conclusion is inaccurate. It's not a question of being right or wrong. It's an investigative committee. They present facts. Of course they are using the media. Why wouldn't they?

This isn't a case of right and wrong, good and evil. Such a characterization misses the mark.

I've read Chomsky's replies, and I agree with all of them, but I'll add that you're incorrectly viewing this in black and white terms.

Politics is a given here. Congress is elected. You can't tie the process to politics. The politics is already there.

That the committee is taking advantage of political timing should be expected. I've been saying that for a long time, and is one reason I didn't complain about the committee's long period of what looked to be inaction.

Your conclusion is inaccurate. It's not a question of being right or wrong. It's an investigative committee. They present facts. Of course they are using the media. Why wouldn't they?

This isn't a case of right and wrong, good and evil. Such a characterization misses the mark.
I'm not judging right or wrong, I am simply calling it what it is.

Political circus. Maybe all of politics these days is that same song and dance whereby gathering public outcry (guilt of innocence matters not one iota) is the end goal for politics. The OPTICS if you will to garner support. To hell with justice.

Back
Top Bottom