• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House health bill ceremony closed to public

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
House health bill ceremony closed to public

House health bill ceremony closed to public - Washington Times

House Democrats blocked the public from attending the unveiling ceremony of their health-care bill Thursday morning, allowing only pre-approved visitors whose names appeared on lists to enter the event at the West side of the Capitol.

The audience at the crowded press conference included Hill staffers, union workers, health care providers and students, according to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who thanked them for attending.

Mrs. Pelosi and other Democratic leaders announced the chamber's long-awaited version of a health care overhaul, which would expand insurance coverage to 36 million uninsured Americans, costing less than $900 billion over 10 years.

Wow.... so when can we see this bill? Closing this to the public? Actions speak louder than words indeed.

Wow.... so when can we see this bill? Closing this to the public? Actions speak louder than words indeed.

It's online now. Aren't signing ceremonies typically for invited guests?

try a google.

I did. I see hr3200, but I don't see the "unvieled" bill.... Sorry.

Oh .... I didn't realize the problem. It's not called 3200, Pelosi had to merge three bills that came out of three committees. It's now H.R. 3962. I see some have already given you links.

Oh .... I didn't realize the problem. It's not called 3200, Pelosi had to merge three bills that came out of three committees. It's now H.R. 3962. I see some have already given you links.

they have. Thats why NO THANK FOR YOU! :mrgreen:

With this bill. They will need the public option. Arbitrary price controls and restrictions on coverage will sink private coverage. How can premiums be based on anything other than the cost of the care provided?

With this bill. They will need the public option. Arbitrary price controls and restrictions on coverage will sink private coverage. How can premiums be based on anything other than the cost of the care provided?

They are not based on that now. The medical loss ratio has spiralled ever downward; as payouts for medical costs dropped as percentage of premium dollar paid - premiums paid increased. The increases had no relation to cost increases.

I checked the bill out a little and I see 1099's in my employees's futures.

They are not based on that now. The medical loss ratio has spiralled ever downward; as payouts for medical costs dropped as percentage of premium dollar paid - premiums paid increased. The increases had no relation to cost increases.

BS. Private insurance premiums are based on the care provided. Yes there is a profit. Yes there are administrative costs incurred. Still no insurance firm would provide health coverage for less than the cost of care. It is the primary factor in setting premiums.

This bill mentions nothing about premiums as a relation to the cost of care provided by the insurance company. It enforces arbitrary premium limits based on federal standards.

Why would they let just anyone into the ceremony? If they did, some people would be drowning out the place with yelling and disruptions, as would be the case with any bill. No politician would willingly let detractors into the place. :p

Hey, it works for social security... Just pass those costs on to others in higher healthcare prices! Which is one reason I like the idea of single payer. Although, I thought I read the healthcare bill they're pushing through now has rates negotiated with the health insurance companies?

Care to see what Karen Ignagni, President and CEO of America's Health Insurance Plans thinks?

House of Representatives Releases Affordable Health Care for America Act

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/306797/0eddd0c1c0/1362001578/a63de201fa/

In part it she says;
"The promise of health care reform has been that if you like your current coverage, you can keep it. We are concerned that this proposal will break this promise by increasing health care costs for families and employers across the country and significantly disrupting the quality coverage on which millions of Americans rely today.

"The lack of system-wide cost containment is a missed opportunity. Without a greater focus on health care costs, families and employers will not be able to afford coverage and health care costs will rise at a rate much faster than the overall economy is able to sustain.

Gee seems like she could at any minute get a warning shot from Obama, Pilosi and Reid because we know the truth is becoming a rare and in some cases banded in this once bastion of free speech.

The centerpiece of the bill is government-run insurance that could cause as many as 114 million Americans to lose their private coverage

Onerous regulations on the private insurance market that will force individuals to purchase coverage through the government-run exchange

Trillions in new federal spending that will explode the deficit and imperil long-term budget solvency

Taxes on all Americans: individuals who purchase insurance, individuals who do not purchase insurance and millions of small businesses

Cuts to Medicare Advantage that could result in higher premiums and dropped coverage for more than 10 million seniors

The bill is 1,990 pages long

$200 billion additional spending in a separate 13-page bill to handle the "doc fix." Adding this spending to the overall bill breaks Obama's promise to the American people not to sign a deficit-increasing bill.

Page 1515 - Regulation of vending machines, to ensure everyone can see the nutrition labels on items before purchasing their food

The bill omits original draft language ensuring "that essential benefits coverage does not lead to rationing of health care." In other words, there is no longer a clear prohibition on the federal government rationing health care

Nearly all of the additional coverage comes from a huge Medicaid expansion, which will further imperil states' budgets.* Medicaid covers low-income Americans and states must provide a match to receive federal funding.

Employer Mandate Tax: If an employer does not pay 72.5 percent of a single employee's health premium, the employer must pay an excise tax equal to 8 percent of average wages.* Small employers (measured by payroll size) have smaller payroll tax rates of 0 percent (<$500,000), 2 percent ($500,000-$585,000), 4 percent ($585,000-$670,000), and 6 percent ($670,000-$750,000).*
Individual Mandate Surtax: If an individual fails to obtain qualifying coverage, he or she must pay an income surtax 2.5 percent of adjusted gross income.

Denial of Tax Deduction for Employer Health Plans Coordinating with Medicare Part D (Page 327): This would further erode private sector participation in delivery of Medicare services.

Surtax on Individuals and Small Businesses: Imposes an income surtax of 5.4 percent on MAGI over $500,000 ($1 million married filing jointly).

Crunch,

Just curious...from where did you copy-n-paste commentary for your post?

(I know you haven't read the bill for yourself; it just got published yesterday. So, can we stop with the talking points and tell me what you really know about it?)

Last edited:
Crunch,

Just curious...from where did you copy-n-paste commentary for your post?

(I know you haven't read the bill for yourself; it just got published yesterday. So, can we stop with the talking points and tell me what you really know about it?)

Americans For Prosperity - Oregon • PO Box 130 • Sublimity, OR 97385 • Phone: 541.729.6229

By all means, feel free to refute anything you think is false.

Last edited:
Why would they let just anyone into the ceremony? If they did, some people would be drowning out the place with yelling and disruptions, as would be the case with any bill. No politician would willingly let detractors into the place. :p

Whether they want to let us in or not, I think they should be forced to. We elect them, they vote on bills that affect us, and we pay them. We should have every right to observe every step of the process.

Back
Top Bottom