• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House GOP seeks distance from Boehner on tax issue

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Washington (CNN) -- GOP colleagues of House Minority Leader John Boehner are distancing themselves from the Ohio Republican's recent remarks that he would support President Barack Obama's proposal to renew the expiring Bush tax cuts only for those making less than $250,000 if it were his only option.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, announced Monday he will introduce legislation that would ensure that no one pays higher income taxes next year.

"We can't let the people who've been hit hardest by this recession and who we need to create the jobs that will get us out of it foot the bill for the Democrats' two-year adventure in expanded government," McConnell said on the Senate floor.

Early Monday, the number two House Republican, Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor, released a statement emphasizing his focus on an across-the-board extension of all tax rates.

"I will do everything in my power to stop President Obama and Speaker Pelosi from raising taxes on working families, small business people, and investors," Cantor said.

A spokeswoman for House GOP Conference Chairman Mike Pence, R-Indiana, told CNN Monday that Pence "believes that there should be no tax increase on any job creator next year."

As soon as Boehner made his comments on CBS' "Face the Nation" on Sunday morning, there was a flurry of calls among GOP House members, according to several Republican sources.

Did he just say people that make $250 000 dollars a year and more, were the hardest hit by the recession... :shock:

Boy, I sure wish he'd tell that directly to the millions of working class and middle class families that are out of a job and a foreclosed home...

Did he just say people that make $250 000 dollars a year and more, were the hardest hit by the recession... :shock:

Boy, I sure wish he'd tell that directly to the millions of working class and middle class families that are out of a job and a foreclosed home...

Another O!!M!!G!! post by Jet! One has to wonder at the gall of a politician that could puke out those words in a public place. Good grief. They really don't live in the real world, do they?

I must admit I'm getting sick of hearing about extending these tax breaks. It's really time extend 'em all and fight the battle later. Why experiment? The last thing the government needs to do is take more money out of the hands of any citizen right now, imo. Looks bad. Will make no difference in our deficit. Fuggitaboutit. For now.

Any tax increase on anyone at this point is counter productive to economic and therefore job growth. Those who make over $250,000 a year seem rich by most peoples measure they also are the ones who spend the most money in a weak economy which helps others keep their jobs, and also who lose the most when markets are in a down turn. These people are the ones who create jobs and start businesses.

The idea of tax and spend is never right and history tells us that you can't spend your way out of poverty. It also shows that tax revenue goes up when taxes are reduced because jobs are created and the pressure to resist spending is lifted.

Hate to sound like a politician but that's what I am. In part.

I don't read that as being what he said. McConnell wasn't talking about high earners in particular when he said that, but about the prospect of the tax cuts expiring for everyone. The context makes it seem like that's likely what he meant.

In my mind, $250,000/year should be considered part of the "middle class"

Back
Top Bottom