• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House GOP seeks cuts in food stamps

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
House GOP seeks cuts in food stamps - David Rogers - POLITICO.com

New independent estimates Monday night show that as many as 3.8 million people would lose their food stamp benefits in 2014 under a House Republican plan to tighten eligibility and end state waivers for able-bodied adults who are unemployed.

The Congressional Budget Office numbers paint a darker picture than the GOP has admitted to thus far. The contradictions – which continued to play out Monday afternoon — add to the tensions surrounding what is already a bitter fight over the nutrition title of the House farm bill.

According to the CBO, 1.7 million people would be forced off the rolls in the coming year if the state waivers are repealed as proposed by Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.). Another 2.1 million would be dropped in 2014 as a result of the tighter eligibility rules backed by the GOP.

In both cases, the impact would decline as the economy improves and more jobs become available. But on average, CBO estimates that a total of 2.8 million people would lose their benefits over the next decade, and another 850,000 households will see an average reduction of about $90 a month in benefits.

congress has 13 days to pass a continuing resolution that funds the government, and the house is using that time to cut food stamp benefits to people.

can anyone justify this?

House GOP seeks cuts in food stamps - David Rogers - POLITICO.com

congress has 13 days to pass a continuing resolution that funds the government, and the house is using that time to cut food stamp benefits to people.

can anyone justify this?

Can anyone justify predictions of food stamp use for a decade? What exactly entitles some non-disabled citizens to get their food paid for by others, that are expected to buy their own? What would you suggest be cut instead? I favor cutting the entire federal department of education since it has no contitutional basis to exist in the first place.

This is disgusting. While Exxon and other huge global corporations are given a pass on income taxes (heavily subsidized by us, the taxpayers), our so-called leaders are trying to cut subsidies for the most needy among us, at the end of one of the worst recessions this country has had?

There is no decency to this.

This is disgusting. While Exxon and other huge global corporations are given a pass on income taxes (heavily subsidized by us, the taxpayers), our so-called leaders are trying to cut subsidies for the most needy among us, at the end of one of the worst recessions this country has had?

There is no decency to this.

who would make up the difference if the so called cooperate warfare for oil companies are stopped? do you think the oil company will just eat the lose?

the fraud committed in the SNAP program if stopped word make up more then double of the proposed cuts

Can anyone justify predictions of food stamp use for a decade? What exactly entitles some non-disabled citizens to get their food paid for by others, that are expected to buy their own? What would you suggest be cut instead? I favor cutting the entire federal department of education since it has no contitutional basis to exist in the first place.

and what about the people who will lose their benefits if these cuts go into effect? do you even care about the consequnces these cuts will have on these people.

who would make up the difference if the so called cooperate warfare for oil companies are stopped? do you think the oil company will just eat the lose?

There is no place for logic at DP...

and what about the people who will lose their benefits if these cuts go into effect? do you even care about the consequnces these cuts will have on these people.

The effect will be a kick in the ass towards self sufficiency...

How I justify food stamps for the poor: we are a civilized society. We don't want families prostituting their child daughters for an income, like the democratic country of India, while the super wealthy dine on delicacies and watch the starving through the windows. We don't want out citizens fleeing the country in droves, like the democratic nation of Mexico, so that their families can earn a living wage and get food.

This country provides a safety net for those who have fallen on hard times. And that is right. The net is not lavish.

It's a matter of decency and what civilized compassionate citizens do in our democratic nation. If you want to cut food stamps, then let's cut the subsidies to GE, Exon and other large corporations. THAT'S where the real money is. How about kicking BP out of the country, since they've cost you and me millions in assistance for their oil spills, not to mention the damage done to the environment and people's livelihoods? (The BP oil spill isn't over, BTW. Lives were ruined. Livelihoods were ended. Shrimp is contaminated. Fish are still dying. And yet, BP is notorious in the industry for being intentionally wanton in its disregard for safety from spills. WE pay. Not BP.)

How I justify food stamps for the poor: we are a civilized society. We don't want families prostituting their child daughters for an income, like the democratic country of India, while the super wealthy dine on delicacies and watch the starving through the windows. We don't want out citizens fleeing the country in droves, like the democratic nation of Mexico, so that their families can earn a living wage and get food.

This country provides a safety net for those who have fallen on hard times. And that is right. The net is not lavish.

It's a matter of decency and what civilized compassionate citizens do in our democratic nation. If you want to cut food stamps, then let's cut the subsidies to GE, Exon and other large corporations. THAT'S where the real money is. How about kicking BP out of the country, since they've cost you and me millions in assistance for their oil spills, not to mention the damage done to the environment and people's livelihoods? (The BP oil spill isn't over, BTW. Lives were ruined. Livelihoods were ended. Shrimp is contaminated. Fish are still dying. And yet, BP is notorious in the industry for being intentionally wanton in its disregard for safety from spills. WE pay. Not BP.)

Lesson being, don't have children without a reasonable expectation of being able to support them as well as yourself...

How about the ones who have committed fraud to illegally receive the stamps or the ones who sell their stamps for drugs are you not concerned that money that is wasted on them could have went to the ones who need it

How about the ones who have committed fraud to illegally receive the stamps or the ones who sell their stamps for drugs are you not concerned that money that is wasted on them could have went to the ones who need it

then why is it necessary to make everyone who uses food stamps suffer just because of the actions of a few?

you don't even know which people are on food stamps, and how much they depend on them to get by.

There are probably people out there who barely make it by on 50 dollars a week

I could eat quite well on $50/week, but that's not the discussion. Why should SNAP benefits be provided over a long term? Where is the incentive to provide for one's self?

That depends on what those consequences are. Many will have to take less than their dream job, perhaps even turning in an illegal alien to create that job openning. Some may have to switch to cheaper car, smaller appartment or, *gasp*, live in an old mobile home like I do.

That depends on what those consequences are. Many will have to take less than their dream job, perhaps even turning in an illegal alien to create that job openning. Some may have to switch to cheaper car, smaller appartment or, *gasp*, live in an old mobile home like I do.

Not to mention no cable, cell phones, or internet...

I could eat quite well on $50/week, but that's not the discussion. Why should SNAP benefits be provided over a long term? Where is the incentive to provide for one's self?

have you ever tried living on food stamps? it is not like you live a luxurious life when you are on food stamps.

have you ever tried living on food stamps? it is not like you live a luxurious life when you are on food stamps.

I have never taken a part in one of these welfare programs, and I have lived hand to mouth before...

You have some alternatives I see, yet that is not what is being propsed as the alternative - now is it? The alternative is simply more borrow and spend. Being generous with other people's money is always seen as good, by some. I suggest that you pay more if you want to help these folks, not simply sit back and say how right it is to have others do so.

and these are some of the problems with current bill

Caught in the middle are states like Washington and New York which are already using federal funds to teach job skills to food stamp recipients but could lose millions in aid if they were to fail to comply with the new direction set by the bill.

Mothers with preschool children would face tougher work requirements. At the same time, the CBO score suggests that some of the most-contentious pilot programs in the package could end up adding to federal costs — not savings.

1. SNAP stand for SUPPLIMENTAL nutritional assistance program meaning they're provided to SUPPLIMENT one's nutritional expense. Is it your understanding that folks are to be 'living on food stamps' alone?

2. Are you suggesting that 'living on food stamps' should be 'luxurious'? If so what would be the motivation to EVER get off of them?

then why is it necessary to make everyone who uses food stamps suffer just because of the actions of a few?

there is an estimated 750 million dollars a year in Snap fraud.

Since the CBO report indicated a 3.8m reduction is this 'everyone who uses food stamps' who will 'suffer'? It seems you grossly overstated the effects of the proposed reductions...?

Back
Top Bottom