• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House GOP leader forsakes tea parties, takes earmark ban off the table

justabubba

long standing member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
well, this did not take long:
... Rep. John Boehner, presumptively the next Speaker of the House and a longtime rhetorical foe of earmark spending in its present form, told a Fox News host on Thursday that the proposed ban on congressional earmarks he'd been talking up was officially off the table. ...
House GOP leader forsakes tea parties, takes earmark ban off the table | Raw Story

repeat after me: "hypocrite"

so typical of self-serving politicians, especially those of the republican variety
ignore what they say. beware of what they do

Thank god. We don't need a ban on earmark spending. We just need more responsible earmark spending. Many, many very good and beneficial programs are funded through earmark spending.

at first glance it doesn't seem that simple; he's supporting a moratorium, not a ban. we'll see how it plays out.

at first glance it doesn't seem that simple

Shall we give this turn of the worm the same treatment given to the issues of health care and industry bailouts?

ZOMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT 5 MINUTES AFTER THE ELECTION THE REPUBLICAN PARTY THREW THE TEA PARTY MOVEMENT UNDER THE BUS

Wow, I had no idea that oversimplification could be so much fun!

Shall we give this turn of the worm the same treatment given to the issues of health care and industry bailouts?

ZOMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT 5 MINUTES AFTER THE ELECTION THE REPUBLICAN PARTY THREW THE TEA PARTY MOVEMENT UNDER THE BUS

Wow, I had no idea that oversimplification could be so much fun!

He did no such thing. They are on probation and they know it. If they start acting like the old Republicans, they are the ones who will be thrown under the bus next election. The people are back in charge and the Republicans have promised to keep listening to us. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. After all, they did stand firm against the HC bill because the majority of us were against it. The dems are the one's who ignored us and jammed it through.

He is supporting a moratorium which he's stated they will not enforce. They will not force other members of Congress to adhere to the moratorium, but they will ask them too. Which will go nowhere with most of them. The Dems will earmark, some Republicans will earmark. And let's not forget the Senate...they refused to give up earmarks on both sides.

With Republicans, you get exactly what you pay for. And the "US" (read: Beijing) Chamber of Commerce didn't buy the House for them just to compromise lucrative projects by banning earmarks.

Special interests (read: those who donate large amounts of money to get their interests prioritized by people who need money to get re-elected) have an unhealthy control over how our Congress spends money. This is how our government works. Discretionary spending, earmarks, home state appropriations....however you slice it, it means money and that means votes. The number one priority is getting elected, number two is getting re-elected.

I always get a chuckle out of the "conservative" members of Congress who saber rattle and scream about out of control discretionary spending. And then I watch Republicans elect guys like Roy Blunt to the U.S. Senate. :D

He did no such thing. They are on probation and they know it. If they start acting like the old Republicans, they are the ones who will be thrown under the bus next election. The people are back in charge and the Republicans have promised to keep listening to us. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt. After all, they did stand firm against the HC bill because the majority of us were against it. The dems are the one's who ignored us and jammed it through.
same ol' same ol' in washington.....it will be business as usual for the repubs, you can forget about cutting out earmarks....another case of telling you what you want to hear in order to get elected.

This news is a perfect illustration of the problem. Until the tea party movement actually becomes the Tea Party on the ballot, this will be their fate. The Republican establishment will give them praise and lip service and use them like toilet paper and when they have served their purpose they will be flushed away. Think back to the fundamentalist Christian born again types who voted Republican because they cared about issues like abortion and homosexuality. What exactly did the Republicans do for those issues for the the people who voted for them? Nothing. They cut taxes for the rich and helped the corporations which fund them but did nothing for the rural christians concerned about life style issues. Wall Street gets served while Main Street gets shafted.

This comes on the heels of the news the week before the election that Boehner and the leadership were going to take an active role in placing experienced DC pols to head up the offices of the tea party winners. They did not want the newbies to stray too far from traditional orthodoxy.

This will happen more and more with the tea party until they truly become the Tea Party.

This news is a perfect illustration of the problem. Until the tea party movement actually becomes the Tea Party on the ballot, this will be their fate. The Republican establishment will give them praise and lip service and use them like toilet paper and when they have served their purpose they will be flushed away. Think back to the fundamentalist Christian born again types who voted Republican because they cared about issues like abortion and homosexuality. What exactly did the Republicans do for those issues for the the people who voted for them? Nothing. They cut taxes for the rich and helped the corporations which fund them but did nothing for the rural christians concerned about life style issues. Wall Street gets served while Main Street gets shafted.

This comes on the heels of the news the week before the election that Boehner and the leadership were going to take an active role in placing experienced DC pols to head up the offices of the tea party winners. They did not want the newbies to stray too far from traditional orthodoxy.

This will happen more and more with the tea party until they truly become the Tea Party.
it is just as i've said several times...the 'tea party', at this point, is nothing but a tool of the republican party.

Watching Eric Cantor live on television now reiterating that if Republicans do not stick to their guns on earmarks; they will have no leg to stand on when it comes time to cut other spending.

Well Cantor better have a come to Jesus meeting with his boss the Tanman from Ohio on this. i believe he is running in tandem with Boehner for leadership positions.

Which one of this team is lying to the American people?

So...wait a minute. A politician promised something in the campaign that he's backing away from now? I'm shocked!

I don't agree with the Tea Party on a lot of things, but I do respect the fact that a group of citizens stood up this year to show the politicians that the people are in charge. Unfortunately, I already see signs that neither side has really gotten the message yet.

Special interests (read: those who donate large amounts of money to get their interests prioritized by people who need money to get re-elected) have an unhealthy control over how our Congress spends money. This is how our government works. Discretionary spending, earmarks, home state appropriations....however you slice it, it means money and that means votes. The number one priority is getting elected, number two is getting re-elected.

I always get a chuckle out of the "conservative" members of Congress who saber rattle and scream about out of control discretionary spending. And then I watch Republicans elect guys like Roy Blunt to the U.S. Senate. :D

George Soros

well, this did not take long:
House GOP leader forsakes tea parties, takes earmark ban off the table | Raw Story

repeat after me: "hypocrite"

so typical of self-serving politicians, especially those of the republican variety
ignore what they say. beware of what they do

This is a great example of how some pseudo news site mischaracterizes a person's words such as to support whatever alter-reality they wish to sell the starving lemmings. One only need watch the original interview to realize that the snippet you quoted is wholly disingenuous. Boehner explicitly states in the interview that wasteful earmark spending is going to stop. Now whether he makes good on that promise or not is something yet unknown, but the article referenced here is complete hack-o-rama and you've jumped the gun on your criticism. "Good lemming," say your liberal masters.

I'm in DC right now for a homeland/government security industry awards thing and I had an occasion to sit down with a good friend of mine who is a Beltway policy ninja (lobbyist). He told me in no uncertain terms that the House, the entire House, would go on an earmark moratorium for this year and possibly next. Across the board, it was going to happen. The Senate on the other hand is probably going to go ahead and earmark because the argument that is coming out of their members is that they don't want the President to have that much control over how the money is being spent. This is the same argument guys like James Inhofe made earlier this year.

What I see happening is that the money typically appropriated and spent on home state projects will go into competitive and discretionary spending accounts and states and local entities will have to apply for grants to get the majority of it. Which is really better for my business as I specialize in navigating complicated federal grant requirements and churning out successful applications. The money will still be spent my fellow Americans. They just hope you don't catch on to that fact.

Last edited:
I'm in DC right now for a homeland/government security industry awards thing and I had an occasion to sit down with a good friend of mine who is a Beltway policy ninja (lobbyist). He told me in no uncertain terms that the House, the entire House, would go on an earmark moratorium for this year and possibly next. Across the board, it was going to happen. The Senate on the other hand is probably going to go ahead and earmark because the argument that is coming out of their members is that they don't want the President to have that much control over how the money is being spent. This is the same argument guys like James Inhofe made earlier this year.

What I see happening is that the money typically appropriated and spent on home state projects will go into competitive and discretionary spending accounts and states and local entities will have to apply for grants to get the majority of it. Which is really better for my business as I specialize in navigating complicated federal grant requirements and churning out successful applications. The money will still be spent my fellow Americans. They just hope you don't catch on to that fact.

I really don't think it's about the cost. States should receive money for good projects. It's the whole thing of sticking earmarks in bills for votes. Also for representatives to get re-elected for bringing home the bacon. I'd much rather see the money have to be applied for as grants or as stand alone bills.
The savings from earmarks would be small. It's the process I disagree with.

Spent some time in the Russel Senate Building today. Senate is definitely going to fight for earmarks.

Back
Top Bottom